Snakes?

Closed Thread
Old 05-21-2008, 03:15 AM
Platinum member
Default Re: Snakes?

I used to catch the small garden snakes for my son, until he could catch them. Only for short term observation, then we let them go. But we had a white rat, a tarantula, always dogs, hampsters, guinua pigs(sp?), rabbit, snakes outside and did I mention the blue crabs that chased me around the back yard?? Better than that was the time I found dead worms in the washing machine, because my darling son forgot them in his pockets!!ewwwww
Old 05-21-2008, 05:30 AM
Platinum member

Oh Boy!
On the one hand, I'm sorry I asked! I'm freaked out now! 024 :P :yikes:

On the other hand, I feel the way many of you do... I don't want to hurt any snakes, but I don't want them to hurt ME, either! :yikes: :yikes: :yikes:

I also take the spiders outside! I didn't know anybody else did that! I use a special paper cup and hold the fly swatter over the top so she can't accidentally run up my arm... It's a two-handed operation, so I need somebody to open the door for me. I love talking to you folks. You're so full of helpful information, and you save the spiders too! I can't wait to get there for a meeting at Crisper's and meet you all in person!

Thanks again for the wonderful information! :bigthumbsup:

Bossier City, Louisiana
Salt Lake City & Ogden, Utah
The Villages, Florida
Old 05-21-2008, 12:59 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonie
Another Linda,

My daughter has 35 citrus trees in her back yard. In the 8 years she has lived there, we have never seen a snake in any of them. Hope this helps.
It remains to be seen if my fear of snakes will be overcome by my desire for citrus trees, but thanks for the encouragement, Nonie.

Also: Wheeling, WV * Youngstown, OH* Niles, OH * Oshkosh, WI * Ft. Worth, TX * Da Bronx * Marathon, NY * Bricktown, NJ * Newark, DE * San Antonio, TX * Washington, DC * Tacoma, WA
Old 05-23-2008, 06:30 PM
Send a message via AIM to BethS Send a message via Yahoo to BethS

Hi Everyone! I live on the oldest side of the Villages, I don't like snakes, but as some have said in this post, they are very good for our environment. I have seen big black racers and yes they are very afraid of people, actually they will rear up and stand like a cobra in defense but I have never seen one attack anyone or anything. Then we have the Florida brown snake, very small, the adult is usually about 9 inches, and they have a bit of orange on them, they are non-poisonous and like to sun themselves on rocks in my garden. Sometimes they are so camouflaged that I don't see them. I just go about my business and try not to think about it. They are just plain scary. The water moccasin will defend itself so if you see one, walk away, or for you guys, you could be like my husband, scream like a woman and run like heck!!! Hope this info helps!!! ;D
Old 05-23-2008, 06:35 PM
Veteran member

Beth, do you have citrus trees? My son-in-law still maintains that the oranges fall to the ground and attract bugs, that attract rodents and birds, that attract the snakes. Since we won't be there all the time to make sure no fruit stays on the ground, ... (My son-in-law needs to give it a rest!!)

Also: Wheeling, WV * Youngstown, OH* Niles, OH * Oshkosh, WI * Ft. Worth, TX * Da Bronx * Marathon, NY * Bricktown, NJ * Newark, DE * San Antonio, TX * Washington, DC * Tacoma, WA
Old 05-23-2008, 07:02 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BethS
The water moccasin will defend itself so if you see one, walk away, or for you guys, you could be like my husband, scream like a woman and run like heck!!! Hope this info helps!!! ;D
Hahahaha! Thanks for the great laugh! Now my husband is practicing his scream while running through the kitchen! :yikes:

Bossier City, Louisiana
The Villages, Florida
Old 05-23-2008, 07:10 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by another Linda
Beth, do you have citrus trees? My son-in-law still maintains that the oranges fall to the ground and attract bugs, that attract rodents and birds, that attract the snakes. Since we won't be there all the time to make sure no fruit stays on the ground, ... (My son-in-law needs to give it a rest!!)
Linda, my mother-in-law in St. Pete tells the neighbors to help themselves to the oranges and grapefruit while she's gone -- and they do! She's not worried about snakes, but she says they have "fruit rats" in St. Pete. Fruit rats are actual rats -- not a term for the neighbors. ;D :
Bossier City, Louisiana
The Villages, Florida
Old 05-24-2008, 08:26 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by uujudy
Fruit rats are actual rats -- not a term for the neighbors. ;D :
Funny! But somehow I don't think I'd like fruit rats either! Neighbors would be much better.

Old 05-24-2008, 08:56 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by uujudy
Oh Boy!
On the one hand, I'm sorry I asked! I'm freaked out now! 024 :P :yikes:

On the other hand, I feel the way many of you do... I don't want to hurt any snakes, but I don't want them to hurt ME, either! :yikes: :yikes: :yikes:

I also take the spiders outside! I didn't know anybody else did that! I use a special paper cup and hold the fly swatter over the top so she can't accidentally run up my arm... It's a two-handed operation, so I need somebody to open the door for me. I love talking to you folks. You're so full of helpful information, and you save the spiders too! I can't wait to get there for a meeting at Crisper's and meet you all in person!

Thanks again for the wonderful information! :bigthumbsup:

Gee, I thought everyone saved spiders and took them outside. Well, almost everyone -- there are a few bullies everywhere. Even my best friend in California, who is truly terrified of spiders (she'll call me at 3:00 a.m to get the spider out of her house) insists I take them outside, across the street and let the live.

As for snakes, I really do like them. Once met a cottonmouth -- now that's a scary snake! Fortunately, that was in Kentucky, not here. Rattlers would prefer not to attack (except the babies and they think they need the practice). The racers are just beautiful and will do almost anything to get away from those nasty humans who DO hurt them.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 05-24-2008, 10:08 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwitch
Gee, I thought everyone saved spiders and took them outside. Well, almost everyone -- there are a few bullies everywhere.
My state must be full of bullies, because almost everybody here thinks I'm nuts to take the spiders outside! ??? I signed up to have the backyard certified as a wildlife habitat through the NWF, so at least now I have a good excuse. LOL :bigthumbsup: Nope, no killing here! We're certified! I have a sign that says so! wav

Speaking of snakes (and staying on topic... :cop: ), one day the hummingbirds were at the back door, peeking in the window and flying up, down, and sideways. They had that frantic look they get when the feeder is empty. I went outside to check the feeder and there was a HUGE corn snake hanging from the tree and drinking out of the feeder! :yikes: I told the hummers that mommy couldn't help them. They were on their own! : :-*

PS: Maybe it wasn't a corn snake. It was one of those big, plain-looking snakes. Mr. Judy assures me that they're not poisonous.
Bossier City, Louisiana
The Villages, Florida
Old 05-25-2008, 01:18 AM

Count me a member of the "Spider Outdoor Removal Unit" I have always done it. I use pretty much the same method nas uujudy but use a glass. I put the glass over the spider and then slide a thing (biut sturdy pice of paper under the glass the then carry it outside. I've seen some of my neighbours looking at me like I'm nuts but I don't care.
Johannesburg, London, Wiesbaden, Fairfield CA, Tokyo, Rock Hill SC, Myrtle Beach, Denver, Baltimore, Bangkok, Hongkong, Rutland VT, New York NY, Seneca SC, and next (and last stop as soon as we sell our house) The Villages.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.