Thanked 5,535 Times in 1,922 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

The slither part is what bothers me.

Plus their little beady eyes.

And their little forked tongue.

yikes.
Old 07-29-2010, 07:03 AM
Sage

Gracie, I don't even like to see pictures of snakes. But now, besides snakes, I discovered a new fear...falling frogs.

We came in to our house in TV late one night recently. It had been raining for a few days. My husband went straight through and out to the back patio. When he opened the door and stepped out, he let out a scream like a little girl. I ran to the door and he was dancing and screaming and laughing.

A frog had fallen off the top of the door ledge and hit him in the head and bounced onto his shoulder. For days, I made him go out first and I kept looking up and around and down. A few little frogs were clinging to our siding around the windows and doors. I'm afraid they were escaping from snakes.
Old 07-29-2010, 07:06 AM
Gold member
Default snakes under a/c

Barefoot - is your a/c elevated? Ours just sits on the patio or a pad made for a/c's, can't remember which (I'm in Ohio right now). Can't quite picture how snakes could be living under it.

On my last visit, I did see 2 places in the mulch that looked to me like snakes had been curled up there. Do I now need to worry they will come slithering out of the a/c unit when I'm out pulling weeds? I'm like Gracie about snakes - eeuuw!
Old 07-29-2010, 08:40 AM
Gold member
Default snakes

yes we had snakes in the a/c unit. they can go underneath it. see them by looking down. one a/c worker said just leave them alone and when the blades turn they will be killed.that did not work. used the old mothball method and it worked. just sprinkle around the home and they will leave ...
Old 07-29-2010, 08:59 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,798 Times in 1,390 Posts
Default Lowes sells "Snakeaway" an crystaline product you scatter

around the perimeter of the area you want the snakes to NOT be in. Yes it smells like moth balls but much stronger. Snakes have a very sensitive smell capability and dislike the smell of Snakeaway.

It does work. I have used it often around our home in the woods in the mountains, very effectively.

Consider them all poisonous and act accordingly. They do not want to be near you anymore than you them. The chance face to face encounter (or more like foot-yours-to face-the snake) is the problem....which is very rare.

btk
Old 07-29-2010, 02:14 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Village of El Cortez. Before: Canada, NY, VA, AL, AK, NV, DE & France, Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Fumar View Post
It is true that some snakes don't like moth balls , but some do !!! and if they eat them you have two problems...Not only do they scare you when you surprise them but now you can't stand their breath.....

fume ar ........
Okay, now that is funny!!!!
Old 07-29-2010, 03:31 PM
Default Snakes

I do not fear most snakes, but, there are those extremely dangerous, sneaky, slithering, unbending genus humanus (two legged snakes) who are the most to be feared. They may also be known by their other name comprising of the genus politico. They have no known enemies except they will eat each other and the wallet of the genus john q. publico. We should be on the lookout for them and disembowel them asap.

Last edited by Whatever; 07-30-2010 at 06:07 AM.
Old 07-29-2010, 04:46 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

Personally, I like snakes. I do NOT like rats and mice. Anything that keeps rats and mice away from home is a good buddy in my book. Ergo, snakes are more than welcome to cuddle up to my AC if they wish.

That being said, I am cautious of them. Even non-poisonous snakes bite when startled and they have enough bacteria in their mouth to cause some serious infections. So, do be careful when weeding. Don't just blindly put your hand where you can't see what is there. Check first! Simple precautions will keep both you and any neighboring snake happy.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 07-31-2010, 05:39 PM
Veteran member

I hope there's a snake "whisperer" or wrangler who ends up living near me. If I ever see a snake in my garage or slithering underneath my siding, I'll need someone to come get rid of it, quick. I'd be afraid to go back in the house knowing that one was there, unless I was certain someone removed it from the premises. (Looked for a fainting emoticon to insert here, but didn't find one.)
Old 07-31-2010, 06:35 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,535 Times in 1,922 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Snakes are not cuddly. They aren't pretty. They aren't warm. They were cast in a bad role in Genesis. They eat mice....for pete's sake. What nice animal eats mice?

They have an unkind face and an ugly tongue.

Redwitch.....how can you like them????
Old 07-31-2010, 07:05 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Snakes are not cuddly. They aren't pretty. They aren't warm. They were cast in a bad role in Genesis. They eat mice....for pete's sake. What nice animal eats mice?

They have an unkind face and an ugly tongue.

Redwitch.....how can you like them????
Didn's say they were cuddly. Said I liked them. The patterns on their skin are downright beautiful. Women were also cast in a bad role in Genesis (it was Eve who conned Adam into taking a bite). That they eat mice is a HUGE plus in my book. Sides, cats eat mice, too (and they torture the poor things first).

They can't help their face or tongue. That's like blaming someone with a cleft palate for not looking attractive.

Now you know how I can like them.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.