Snakes

Closed Thread
Old 07-27-2010, 10:05 AM
Default Snakes

We have at least 2 snakes in our yard. Has anyone used a pest removal person for snakes w/any luck??
Old 07-27-2010, 01:31 PM
Platinum member

They will leave on their own.
Old 07-27-2010, 02:02 PM
Question Mothballs......

Quote:
Originally Posted by somerset72 View Post
We have at least 2 snakes in our yard. Has anyone used a pest removal person for snakes w/any luck??
on another thread I remember reading that mothballs tend to make them depart. If spreading them around low bushes and where they nest doesn't work, I guess you could always throw them at the snakes.
- Irving Kristol
Old 07-27-2010, 10:11 PM

Ugh! I hate snakes. Let me know what worked for you to get rid of them.

Old 07-27-2010, 10:49 PM
Sage

We have two snakes at our house in TV. They're harmless to humans. They live under the air conditioner and come out to lie in the sun. When I talked to the Pest Control Company, he said they eat mice and rats.

That seems like a good reason to keep snakes around.
Old 07-28-2010, 02:45 PM
Platinum member

I've had a few conversations with Michelle (Deans Pest Control) who said she has on several occasion removed snakes from garages. She says they enter under the vinyl siding to escape the heat. Dean's doesn't include "snakes" in its contract language because they want the discretion to walk away if the snake appears to dangerous to capture.
Old 07-28-2010, 04:09 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,535 Times in 1,922 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

If we had two snakes in our yard and they didn't go away on their own or due to other methods....

then I would go away on my own.
Old 07-28-2010, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
We have two snakes at our house in TV. They're harmless to humans.
You're lucky, but this isn't always true. Better to be safe than sorry until you make sure what type of snake you're dealing with. Good luck!
Old 07-28-2010, 04:25 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,421 Times in 2,418 Posts

Maybe you can ID your snakes here.
http://myfwc.com/WILDLIFEHABITATS/Sp...nfo_Snakes.htm
Old 07-28-2010, 05:27 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10Bucks View Post
You're lucky, but this isn't always true. Better to be safe than sorry until you make sure what type of snake you're dealing with. Good luck!
The Bates Pest Control guy told us they were harmless ... and they looked like big garter snakes. As long as they don't suddenly squiggle in my direction, I'm OK with snakes. Bates said that they would deal with them, but that snakes really are an asset because they eat rodents (and we back on a large puddle).

Now perhaps that was the standard pest control myth that they feed to Canadians. I'll check when we return and see how they made out in the summer heat. Perhaps they've set up headquarters in the garage. That would not be cute at all.
Old 07-28-2010, 06:23 PM

So Bare, if I understand.....My Honey has just spent the last 3 months trying to cool our garage when, in fact, he should be trying to HEAT UP the garage so no snake will find it attractive and take up residence therein....Yes?
Old 07-28-2010, 06:45 PM
Sage

Snakes like the heat.
Old 07-28-2010, 10:20 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by gryoung View Post
I've had a few conversations with Michelle (Deans Pest Control) who said she has on several occasion removed snakes from garages. She says they enter under the vinyl siding to escape the heat. Dean's doesn't include "snakes" in its contract language because they want the discretion to walk away if the snake appears to dangerous to capture.
So Bare, if I understand.....My Honey has just spent the last 3 months trying to cool our garage when, in fact, he should be trying to HEAT UP the garage so no snake will find it attractive and take up residence therein....Yes?
Today 06:27 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------

Coconuts .. BKCunningham says that snakes like the heat. GRYoung says that snakes enter garages to escape the heat (information apparently received from Deans). I don't know the answer.

As far as I know, our snakes are still happily living outside under the air conditioner and eating rodents. I do know that I wouldn't want to go in the garage in the dark and step on a snake!

I won't be back in TV until October. By then you guys should have the snake issue all figured out.
Old 07-28-2010, 11:08 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Moth balls

It is true that some snakes don't like moth balls , but some do !!! and if they eat them you have two problems...Not only do they scare you when you surprise them but now you can't stand their breath.....

fume ar ........
Old 07-29-2010, 06:07 AM
Sage

Snakes are reptiles which mean they are ectotherms or cold blooded. Their body temperatures stay about the same as their environment. They have to regulate their body temperatures by basking in the sun and then slithering away to the shade.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.