Snakes In General

Closed Thread
Old 10-19-2010, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thistrucksforyou View Post
Do you believe in live and let live? I don't believe in killing any animal just because it is inconvienient for someone...They are doing what we all are trying to do...Stay alive and eat ... We keep building and building with no regaurd to the animals who live there...Where will they go ...What will they eat ....Where is the new habitat for them or are we going to build there also....Be nicer to the wild animals , they have been evicted from there homes..
I agree with you to an extent, about animal life, but killing a snake is not done "because it is 'inconvenient' for someone". To many of us, snakes are the most hideous, terrifying thing we could encounter here. And, many of them here are poisonous, so killing one that is an immediate threat is NOT because it is "inconvenient". Kids should be able to play in their own yard, and people should be able to enjoy parks etc. without the place being infested with snakes.

Besides that, God created the earth and all plant and animal life FOR MANKIND, not the other way around:

27 So God created man in his own image,
in the image of God he created him;
male and female he created them.

28 God blessed them and said to them, "Be fruitful and increase in number; fill the earth and subdue it. Rule over the fish of the sea and the birds of the air and over every living creature that moves on the ground."
Old 10-20-2010, 03:14 PM

Yes, I believe in live and let live and snakes should be allowed to live. However, they are not an inconvenience to me; to me they are a death threat. And no TV is not building and evicting them from their habitat, at least not for the boas. For most of them their habit originated in Africa (watch Animal Planet). When hurricanes hit Florida and the Everglades, snakes who over the years have taken up habitat there, are blown north to wherever they land. IMO, when God creates hurricanes, He has no regard to these reptiles (not animals), where they will go or what they will eat.

On another note, I get a weekly email from a website called It’s All About Women. After my post yesterday, when I went home and checked my home computer as I always do, below is what was in my inbox from that website – ‘7 Tips For Stepping Out of Your Comfort Zone’. Those steps and my reactions are:

Change something every day. I don’t know what but I’ll change something.
What is your greatest fear? Snakes
Accept that fear is in all of us. That means others may be afraid of snakes as well.
Change the word from fear to curiosity. Learn more about them.
Look for a physical challenge. Come in contact with snakes in a safe environment.
Relax, and reflect. Learn to appreciate their purpose on this planet.
Don’t be on your own. I know I will have support from my new Village friends.

But mind you, this will be no easy feat. A 60 year phobia can’t be overcome overnight. One day at a time.
Old 10-20-2010, 04:30 PM
Default everyone has fear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhsgypsylady View Post
Yes, I believe in live and let live and snakes should be allowed to live. However, they are not an inconvenience to me; to me they are a death threat. And no TV is not building and evicting them from their habitat, at least not for the boas. For most of them their habit originated in Africa (watch Animal Planet). When hurricanes hit Florida and the Everglades, snakes who over the years have taken up habitat there, are blown north to wherever they land. IMO, when God creates hurricanes, He has no regard to these reptiles (not animals), where they will go or what they will eat.

On another note, I get a weekly email from a website called It’s All About Women. After my post yesterday, when I went home and checked my home computer as I always do, below is what was in my inbox from that website – ‘7 Tips For Stepping Out of Your Comfort Zone’. Those steps and my reactions are:

Change something every day. I don’t know what but I’ll change something.
What is your greatest fear? Snakes
Accept that fear is in all of us. That means others may be afraid of snakes as well.
Change the word from fear to curiosity. Learn more about them.
Look for a physical challenge. Come in contact with snakes in a safe environment.
Relax, and reflect. Learn to appreciate their purpose on this planet.
Don’t be on your own. I know I will have support from my new Village friends.

But mind you, this will be no easy feat. A 60 year phobia can’t be overcome overnight. One day at a time.
I can appreciate fears of some kind....We allhave them...I have them...I have a fear of heights....I deal with it....I don't want to kill something to make me feel better about it....My only point is , Living where I do building is at an all time high....I live in a small town country community, or use to be....Indianapolis people found us and started building here because they thought raising children in the country would be nice for them....A 180,000 people later where is our small country town....K-Mart,Walmarts,StarBucks,traffic, all the woods are now additions, our wildlife here is just gone or living in fence rows....This year we had no, and I mean not one Monach butterfy here...We used to have thousands...The fertilizing and spraying for weeds has killed them off and they are gone....God may have given us dominion over animals b ut what have we done with that....What you do for the lesser of thee you do to me...We as humans look for the easy fix...an employee is a problem, fire them, if an animal is a problem, kill it...most can be removed and relocated and in florida there are many agencies that will remove any animal and relocate it ,try to use them...
Be kind to animals, just because GOD gave you dominion over animals doesn,t give you the right to beat your dog...RIGHT, you would be up in arms if you saw that ....Not trying to make enemies here ,but I respect all life for all reasons....
Old 10-20-2010, 05:20 PM
Platinum member
Send a message via Skype™ to SALYBOW
Default An email I got from a Fellow Villager

"This morning I had a guy from our irrigation company over to fix a problem. He opened one of the pink irrigation boxes to check a valve. There was a snake in the box. It turned out to be a Water Moccasion about 18-24 inches long. It literally jumped out of the box and prepared to strike. Working as a team with garden tools from my garage we killed it and he was nice enough to take it away in his pickup. The bottom line is I would like you to send an email to our Pennecamp group and include a reference in the newsltter to remind people that we live in an area with poisionous snakes and you should keep your eyes open when moving around your yard."
Old 10-20-2010, 05:21 PM
Platinum member
Send a message via Skype™ to SALYBOW
Default An email I got from a Fellow Villager

"This morning I had a guy from our irrigation company over to fix a problem. He opened one of the pink irrigation boxes to check a valve. There was a snake in the box. It turned out to be a Water Moccasion about 18-24 inches long. It literally jumped out of the box and prepared to strike. Working as a team with garden tools from my garage we killed it and he was nice enough to take it away in his pickup. The bottom line is I would like you to send an email to our Pennecamp group and include a reference in the newsltter to remind people that we live in an area with poisionous snakes and you should keep your eyes open when moving around your yard."

Way too close for me!!!!
Old 10-20-2010, 05:54 PM
Cool

For two years I've been telling my neighbors that pink thing is where the snakes live and they've been rolling their eyes at me (the neighbors, not the snakes) ......so, THERE!
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.