Snow Birds

Closed Thread
Old 01-19-2011, 09:30 AM
Default Snow Birds

We purchased in 2009 and have been snow flakes until now. This September we will become snow birds. My question? Are there any others from up north (NH) that close down their homes when they come down. I mean shut off everything and drain the pipes and all or do you just lock up and leave everything on. My concern is loosing power and pipes freezing. Any ideas? Thanks
Old 01-19-2011, 09:49 AM
Platinum member

If you do a search the post "Northern Snowbirds" which I started a few months ago, you will get many tips and suggestions. PhilandPat gave great advice on a system called "Freeze Alert" If you Google "Freeze Alert.com" you will get great indo. I recommend it. Worth the price
Old 01-19-2011, 01:48 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwscott View Post
We purchased in 2009 and have been snow flakes until now. This September we will become snow birds. My question? Are there any others from up north (NH) that close down their homes when they come down. I mean shut off everything and drain the pipes and all or do you just lock up and leave everything on. My concern is loosing power and pipes freezing. Any ideas? Thanks
Having a neighbor check on the place regularly would be good. And yes, I'd suggest shutting off the water, draining it all (including the toilet tanks as well as the hot water tank), and pouring RV antifreeze in all the traps (sinks and toilets). That way if the power does go out for an extended period of time when it's really cold outside, nothing related to your plumbing will freeze.

Bill
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.