snowbirds

Closed Thread
Old 10-26-2014, 11:58 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
As Seasonal Residents, we've found that most Frogs are welcoming and unselfish.

Instant a frog really just a toad ?

Chloe
&
Lulu
Old 10-26-2014, 03:00 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave harris View Post
Why are there so many derogatory remarks about snowbirds? In a comment today I saw this one for example, "as the snow starts to fly up North there will be more traffic everywhere and I wonder how long before the next inebriated driver blows through the gate again."
I do not see snowbird mentioned anywhere in that comment.
Old 10-26-2014, 03:26 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,778 Times in 3,645 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
Whoa nelly, there are some sweeping generalizations going on here!
Do you think it's possible that some people may have the same impression of Frogs, similar to the things you are saying about Snowbirds?
Old 10-26-2014, 04:20 PM
Sage

Our seasonal friends are welcome here. I can always tell when they start arriving...our church explodes with increased attendance. Then I search out friends I've not seen for months.
Old 10-26-2014, 04:23 PM
Sage

I always chuckle when I see these threads. In our neighborhood, we look forward to the return of our seasonal friends. They don't cause any problems. It's those "other" seasonal residents that clog up the golf courses and restaurants, LOL. As an example, our weekly golf group has increased from about 12 players per week to 24, and more friends are on the way.

I always find it better to consider the high season as normal, and the summer to be the exception.
Old 10-26-2014, 05:01 PM
Platinum member

We have many "snowbird" friends and totally enjoy them and look forward to their return every year. We lost one couple of neighbors who were snowbirds and all who knew them miss them dearly (RIP). Another couple, a few doors down from them who were "frogs", moved back home and nobody misses them.

That being said, there are people that would not be enjoyable given any setting. They could be frogs, snowbirds, renters, or whatever and still would be people that others would wish to have "just go away".

We have so much to enjoy here that there is something for everyone...even those who just wish to hang out at home and not do any activities. We all have choices and not all our choices are the same, unlike some other "retirement" places.
Amarillo, TX
The Villages, FL

To quote my dad:
"I never did see a board that didn't have two sides."
Old 10-26-2014, 06:05 PM

We are snow birds and proud to be part of TV. We own, we pay more in property taxes and certainly contribute to the economy.....and will soon be back. Starting to get a bit chilly up here and the leaves are just about gone. Villages, here we come !!!
Old 10-26-2014, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njbchbum View Post
bettymg1866 - It is most unfortunate that you choose to paint all of us snowbirds as "nasty to the working class in the villages." And those of us who do come from the northern States where navigationg traffic circles is a daily occurance most certainly do know how to navigate them - and we do it safely!

As far as your deserving respect...remember... respect is something that is earned. Manners are learned - and many of us learn better than others.
njbchbum: so u are saying that I should have to work to gain someone's respect right off the bat? dont you automatically show respect for people until they show you differently? Let me give you an example... I worked as a hostess at one of our busy country clubs. It was mid October and it was obvious that the snowbirds were starting to return due to the number of guests. There was a sign stating that all guests should see the hostess for to be seated. i brought a table of 4 to the back of the restaurant when 4 men sat down right in front of me and i "respectfully" asked the gentlemen to see the hostess to get on the list for a table, as this couple had already waited 30 minutes for a table. the response was "Listen sweety... dont even f-ck with me, i just got back yesterday and i am not gonna take any **** from some one like you. i am a resident and you can tell your Hostess to find them another table..." They were snowbirds as they were joking about how the full timers think they should get a table before them... I was doing my job and was embarrassed for myself and the guests. Think about this njbchbum..... what would you say if this was your wife.... this is not the first time i have been put in this position so you can see why i feel the way i do.. I have respect for most snowbirds and my dearest friends here in the Villages are snowbirds. Just saying that some need a little "attitude adjustment"....
Old 10-26-2014, 10:00 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,624 Times in 1,765 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettymg1866 View Post
njbchbum: so u are saying that I should have to work to gain someone's respect right off the bat? dont you automatically show respect for people until they show you differently? Let me give you an example... I worked as a hostess at one of our busy country clubs. It was mid October and it was obvious that the snowbirds were starting to return due to the number of guests. There was a sign stating that all guests should see the hostess for to be seated. i brought a table of 4 to the back of the restaurant when 4 men sat down right in front of me and i "respectfully" asked the gentlemen to see the hostess to get on the list for a table, as this couple had already waited 30 minutes for a table. the response was "Listen sweety... dont even f-ck with me, i just got back yesterday and i am not gonna take any **** from some one like you. i am a resident and you can tell your Hostess to find them another table..." They were snowbirds as they were joking about how the full timers think they should get a table before them... I was doing my job and was embarrassed for myself and the guests. Think about this njbchbum..... what would you say if this was your wife.... this is not the first time i have been put in this position so you can see why i feel the way i do.. I have respect for most snowbirds and my dearest friends here in the Villages are snowbirds. Just saying that some need a little "attitude adjustment"....
Hopefully you did not serve them and had them removed, refusing them any future service.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 10-26-2014, 10:16 PM
Gold member

Quote:
The first time he used foul language was the key to get your manager and have that loud mouth removed from the resturant. You do not deserved to be talked to like that.
Old 10-27-2014, 01:43 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fb32162 View Post
Many rude people are clueless they are being rude. They often think they are being "assertive" or expressing "facts". Others simply don't care. When I first moved to the deep south from the east coast, I was struck by how many people disliked "Yankees". After living there a while, I came to realize that many newcomers from the north often acted a bit superior to the local folks. They acted as if how things were done back home was the "right way" and if it was done differently in the south, it was "wrong". My local auto repair shop had a little sign at their counter that always cracked me up. It said "We don't care how Y'all did it up north"
I am a Yankee and have lived in the south. Southerners are very hospitable, cordial, friendly and whatever other nice adjectives you would like to apply to the way they are.

However . . . if you aren't a southerner and weren't born there, you will never be truly accepted. In short, you simply aren't one of them.
Old 10-27-2014, 02:22 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Betty -- In my mind you went the extra mile. No one needs to take the verbal abuse you described, under any circumstance. If those men would not get up from that table, I would have told the server not to wait on them. They were arrogant and their attitude negated any kind of service whatsoever. I hope your manager handled the situation in such a way that it showed them you were a respected employee. They should have been asked to leave.

Although they were snowbirds, I have seen the same kind of ignorant behavior from full time residents.
Old 10-27-2014, 09:03 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaboutown View Post
Hopefully you did not serve them and had them removed, refusing them any future service.
I fully agree (and I am a snowbird). Any attitude like this is deplorable. On the other hand, it isn't fair to assume other people share it. The group you describe were jerks.
Old 10-27-2014, 09:17 AM
Veteran member

Many people would be absolutely miserable if they didn't have anything to complain about!!
Old 10-27-2014, 09:29 AM
Veteran member

The first thing that comes to my mind is they are trying to fit 10 lbs of you-know-what into a 5 lb bag. I'd probably do the same thing if I was a snowbird. It must be very exciting for the snowbirds to be here so give them some slack. I'm full time but I do hate it when people on the golf course ask though.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.