snowbirds

Closed Thread
Old 10-27-2014, 06:44 PM
Veteran member

Snowbirds not so much, Don't get me started on the Snowdogs
Old 10-27-2014, 07:54 PM
Sage
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettymg1866 View Post
njbchbum: Indydealmaker is only saying dont be so sensative, he is NOT saying that I am shallow etc.... he is quite understanding in this regard. You are angry that I commented on a situation, and I NEVER said that it applied to ALL snowbirds. Let it go NJbchbum... you tried to make your point but your anger is speaking loudly.... you are over reacting... Geez... chill out!
bettymg1866 - I will never 'chill out' when I and my friends have been insulted. I could give a hoot that you posted a comment. I give a hoot because of what you said about snowbirds. You might not have said all snowbirds are such, but neither did you indicate that your emotions apply to some, a few, not many, several, etc.

I hope our 'conversation' has opened your eyes as to just how what you say can offend others; and that you will think twice before you speak and/or hit the 'post'button...unless, of course, you are intending to offend. Ciao!

Old 10-27-2014, 07:59 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Nelson View Post
Actually we are arriving in TV for the first time to rent the month of December. I too find this subject interesting. The other side of the coin is what we hear up north. TV has rampant VD, and is a big drunk. Where is the AA meeting..I'd bet there are a few, I'll look around. We are looking forward to coming. We just sold our home in Mexico after 12 years there. But no medical and being robbed 3 times was enough. I'm also aretro Thunderbird owner and looking to find the others there that belong to Thunderbirdnest.com....we are excited! Our rental comes with a golf cart! Greg

You'll. enjoy it here and find many new friends. The blown up comments about VD are just that. As to AA meetings, there are many as you would expect in any community now exceeding 100,000.
Old 10-27-2014, 08:12 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by njbchbum View Post
bettymg1866 - I will never 'chill out' when I and my friends have been insulted. I could give a hoot that you posted a comment. I give a hoot because of what you said about snowbirds. You might not have said all snowbirds are such, but neither did you indicate that your emotions apply to some, a few, not many, several, etc.

I hope our 'conversation' has opened your eyes as to just how what you say can offend others; and that you will think twice before you speak and/or hit the 'post'button...unless, of course, you are intending to offend. Ciao!

I don't believe there was any intent to offend in those comments. I used to be a Maine and Boston Yankee so I completely understand your concern. Having said that I appreciate our seasonal visitors very much. Two of our best friends arrived today.

Welcome!
Old 10-27-2014, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbussone View Post
You'll. enjoy it here and find many new friends. The blown up comments about VD are just that. As to AA meetings, there are many as you would expect in any community now exceeding 100,000.
its a wonderful place to retire! Those silly stories about VD and such are just that... stories.. I have been here for 7 years from NY and love living here. You will find that there are some people who expect more but you will find that anywhere...WELCOME!
Old 10-27-2014, 08:26 PM
Send a message via Skype™ to Matzy

Thank you graciegirl for your poem. Well, I don't know if I am a snowbird or not because we are traveling so much so we are a lot of time out of TV. Anyway, I enjoy your welcoming poem.
Old 10-27-2014, 08:28 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matzy View Post
Thank you graciegirl for your poem. Well, I don't know if I am a snowbird or not because we are traveling so much so we are a lot of time out of TV. Anyway, I enjoy your welcoming poem.

You belong to TV in your heart that is all that counts.
Old 10-27-2014, 08:35 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
I think she is sensitive because that behavior can be displayed by Frogs as well as Snowbirds. It's not about how much time a person spends in The Villages.

It's about some people having an out-of-whack sense of entitlement.

Kind of like some women my group was playing golf behind the other day. They kept hitting into sand traps but did not rake them. I mentioned this to the ambassador so he tracked them for several holes. He finally spoke to the group and then drove toward us. He said: 'well that's a first. They told me they paid to play and it was my job to rake the traps ."
Old 10-27-2014, 08:42 PM
Sage

For God's sake, can't we all agree to rake the traps. There are people in China that don't even have sand traps.
Old 10-27-2014, 08:48 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by njbchbum View Post
Are you saying bettymg1866's remarks were shallow? Or that I should not express my disgust at the negative and disparaging remarks made by frogs...and allow a frog to think that no one disapproves of their "...shallow, pointless, wrong, and mean-spirited"? I think you missed my point.
Betty did not make any remarks to evoke disgust. I did get your point except that you apparently continue to ignore the fact that when you poke back verbally, you only stir up further disquiet. You are not going to change anybody's mind with your words. Only positive actions can be sufficient to dilute the perception of the "ugly american snowbird". Verbal confrontations are ALWAYS non-productive.
Old 10-27-2014, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Kind of like some women my group was playing golf behind the other day. They kept hitting into sand traps but did not rake them. I mentioned this to the ambassador so he tracked them for several holes. He finally spoke to the group and then drove toward us. He said: 'well that's a first. They told me they paid to play and it was my job to rake the traps ."
OH MY!! That is not nice.... they obviously dont know the proper rules....
Old 10-27-2014, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indydealmaker View Post
Betty did not make any remarks to evoke disgust. I did get your point except that you apparently continue to ignore the fact that when you poke back verbally, you only stir up further disquiet. You are not going to change anybody's mind with your words. Only positive actions can be sufficient to dilute the perception of the "ugly american snowbird". Verbal confrontations are ALWAYS non-productive.
Well said Indy... and thanks for standing up for me..
Old 10-27-2014, 09:01 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
With that level of golf knowledge, I assume they were not on a championship course and if they were they were wasting their money.
Old 10-27-2014, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indydealmaker View Post
Betty, I don't think you are exchanging posts with a man. Men, usually, refrain from silly name calling. Women tend to get their backs up more easily from an insult, even if it is obvious that no insult was intended. (Whoops! Now I guess I am insulting women. Sorry I am a charter member chauvenist) I am pretty sure you did not even know this person even existed, let alone direct an insult.
you know what happens when you ASSUME!! I just assumed it was a man, but you may be right, could be a woman.. either way I dont think I deserved the thrashing he/she gave me... i wont continue to spar at this point, it's fruitless... Enjoy this beautiful weather here in the Villages!!
Old 10-27-2014, 09:13 PM
TOTV Moderator

This thread has deteriorated into personal remarks and strayed far off topic.

Thread closed.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.