So Frustrated

Closed Thread
Old 07-10-2022, 08:24 PM

Thank you all for your suggestions. I just want to perform my service for a price as a way for extra pocket ( golf) money. I have no intention of going in to business. Just something I'm capable of doing.
Times have changed I remember when it was common practice to self promote on these forums

Last edited by MookieMonstah; 07-10-2022 at 08:25 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 07-10-2022, 08:45 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,427 Times in 2,269 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MookieMonstah View Post
Thank you all for your suggestions. I just want to perform my service for a price as a way for extra pocket ( golf) money. I have no intention of going in to business. Just something I'm capable of doing.
Times have changed I remember when it was common practice to self promote on these forums
The only way forums like this are able to operate is either with donations, charge a fee to participate or the selling of advertising. This one chooses to sell advertising. Unfortunately advertising is just part of doing business.

We've Got Plenty Of Youth.. What We Need Is a Fountain Of SMART!
Old 07-10-2022, 09:55 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,522 Times in 3,108 Posts

Quote:
"THESE" forums are Talk of the Villages, which offers paid advertising.

You can go to Facebook and join the Villages groups, there are several that allow word of mouth self-promotion.

In addition, had you spent a moment to mention the TYPE of business you're talking about, someone who might be interested in that service, would've sent you a direct message to ask for further details.

It would probably help a lot if you understood better what forums are. There are millions of them on the internet. Some allow self-promotions, some don't. This one will let you self promote for a fee.
Old 07-10-2022, 10:26 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinSE View Post
Door to door has a VERY BAD reputation in TV. Many of them are scammers, so the result is guilt by association. I personally would high recommend NOT being a door knocker.
Also, all those folks posting their REAL NAMES and LOCATION on Nextdoor are (IMO) totally nuts, Takes 30 seconds to find out exactly where anyone lives especially in FL if you have their name. I think that is totally nuts doing that on The Internet. Yes, you can use a fake name. Easy to do. Of course if you want to offer a business that's another story. I find it remarkable seeing (mostly) all real names posted there. Much worse than folks using their email on here as their username. Aside from the public records here in FL just Google yourself. You may be very surprised.
Betty White (1922-2021) R.I.P.
Old 07-10-2022, 10:29 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Quote:
That is known (especially to the Feds) as a business.
Betty White (1922-2021) R.I.P.
Old 07-11-2022, 07:04 AM

Quote:
No self promotion. There is nowhere in the Villages where someone trying to provide services can get the word out. You can't post it here, you can't post it on Nextdoor neighborhood sites, you can't put anything up at the postal stations, you can't go door to door( no soliciting). What can one do to promote a new side job?
There is a group called Villages Workers in FB you can post on.
Old 07-11-2022, 08:54 AM

Facebook!!!
Old 07-12-2022, 06:45 AM
Veteran member

I share your pain but the reality is all businesses require money to make money as the saying goes. But there are great ideas above in various posts and all it takes is some effort to get the word out. As an example my wife dog sits and went around the first year with lots of business cards in her golf cart and whenever she saw someone walking a dog would give it out. Another idea not currently being mentioned is simply the fact of the local activities directors and homeowners office people knowing what you do as many people will call the office to get recommendation. PS my wife is booked through September.
Closed Thread

Tags
post, door, put, postal, stations

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.