So why do people have such an issue...

Closed Thread
Old 09-09-2019, 08:29 AM

Quote:
You purchased here and didn't know what you were buying into? Really?
Okay, so why would anyone have an issue...

Maybe for things like:

Section 2: No business - PERIOD FULL STOP. Nothing ambiguous here, easy to enforce, just ask the owners of TOTV who were reported for violating this one and had to either shut it down or relocate it's "offices". And BTW if any of you are trading stocks online from your laptop at home (late at night with the lights turned off in your closet so no one can see you and report you) with the intent of making a profit, you are in violation and should turn yourselves in, since we know you didn't move here with the intent of violating the rules.

Section 3: Seriously, nothing "noxious or offensive"? Seriously? Uh, defining offensive will be an entire thread in and of itself. Personally I find anything orange to be offensive, and I am sure you will all agree with that, right? I did have a former wife that considered anything Purple offensive, but I did say she was a "former" wife, and that pretty much explains that...

But, then I am sure everyone agrees with me on what offensive means and so there will be no problems enforcing this.

Section 6: What a wealth of humor we have here. This one section has spawned numerous threads in TOTV all by itself. I am sure the committee that wrote it spent a significant amount of time getting the meaning exactly and clearly defined...

Lets start with only 2 goldfish are allowed. PERIOD - FULL STOP AGAIN. Anyone with more than two gold fish in their TV home should be persecuted (or prosecuted, I can't keep the two straight.) Also, I do hope you had your two goldfish neutered - we wouldn't want a couple hundred little goldfishlings spawning unexpectedly - against the rules. Oh, hmm, does a pregnant goldfish count as one goldfish or a hundred goldfish? A single goldfish would not need to be neutered, obviously, unless you let it have its goldfish friends of the opposite sex over on occasion, then appropriate chaperoning is recommended, or having it neutered is strongly suggested.

If you have any poultry you are in direct violation of section 6 - PERIOD FULL STOP - uh well, unless the poultry are birds, in which case two of them are permitted, uh well, unless you also have a Goldfish, then you have to get rid of a bird or the fish. I mean after all - RULES ARE RULES!

Why on earth would you want to move to The Villages knowing that you have two gold fish and a parakeet which is in direct violation of the RULES. Heavens forbid!

And btw, any of you who happen to have dogs, I hope you don't let anyone catch those dogs running around loose inside your house, since it is clearly stated in section 6 of THE RULES that all such pets shall be kept on a leash - PERIOD FULL STOP - NO EXCEPTIONS are defined and therefore no exceptions are permitted.

And for those of you who were lulled into thinking you could at least take your dogs to the off leash dog parks for them to get some exercise running and playing with the other dogs. You should pay close attention to Section 6 which clearly does not provide for any exceptions to the RULES - "such pets" (dogs are part of the animal kingdom defined as pets) shall be kept on a leash. So, sorry, you must keep your pet leashed at all times, even at the off leash dog park.

And speaking of leashes, you better have those gold fish leashed, or else because you know - RULES ARE RULES and the rules clearly and specifically define gold fish as "pets" and the owners of such "pets" are required to keep them on leash(es).

Yep, I agree why would anyone move here knowing they were going to be in violation of THE RULES, because well, all together now - RULES ARE RULES!

Seems pretty simple to me. But, if not, we can continue through the other sections which provide as least as much amusement as these three.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-09-09 at 8.41.40 AM.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	11.0 KB
ID:	80898   The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-09-09 at 8.42.09 AM.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	10.8 KB
ID:	80899   The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-09-09 at 8.43.38 AM.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	23.9 KB
ID:	80900  

Last edited by Martian; 09-09-2019 at 08:38 AM.
Old 09-09-2019, 08:29 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,526 Times in 3,111 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker1 View Post
I believe you have failed to understand the nuance of how infractions are monitored. I doubt Community Standards wants to be in the business of monitoring infractions because it opens the flood gates for claims of selective enforcement. You can make claims as to what you believe Community Standards should be doing but it really doesn't matter. They are obviously doing what they have been instructed to do and I suspect there is solid legal advice behind their mission for the reason I already stated. As far as I can tell, they uniformly apply the deed restrictions under the reporting system they have chosen to implement.
So, you think that any resident of any part of the Villages is doing everyone a favor by going around neighborhoods she doesn't live in, with the intention of collecting a list of addresses with violations to turn in to Community Standards.

And in the same breath, you think that an individual working for Community Standards, who is also a resident of any part of the Villages, whose job it is to check out these lists of violations, should NOT submit their own complaints when they see violations that aren't on those lists.

It's important and helpful if one person does it, but it's also important and helpful if someone else doesn't do it.

I "fine" that hypocritical.
Old 09-09-2019, 08:36 AM

There is a difference between something that violates a restriction and something that is offensive or improper. Or something that truly detracts from property values. From the people I know, they didn't move here to patrol neighborhoods, particularly not their own, in order to make an issue of a non-issue for the sake of feeling important. In fact, I doubt most people move here for the deed restrictions, as someone mentioned above. I've stayed away from HOA developments up until now, specifically for that reason, and realtors around the country will tell you that that is a primary reason people dont want to live in those developments. Not because they want to live like slobs or dont appreciate neatness, but because there are limits on how much people will allow others to dictate how they live. (Hong Kong?). I have no infringements on my home, but i did hesitate to buy here because of that. I, like so many others, buy here because of the lifestyle, the golf, the pickleball, the shows, the activities AND the overall beauty of the place, particularly the public areas. I cringe at the thought of people who dont have lives to live, finding street patrols satisfying when there is so much else here to enjoy. The new state law that allows gardening in the front lawns must be giving them sleepless nights. (I know its being contested). Anyway, i hope Moral1 and GracieGirl are following the responses and choose to leave their neighbors in peace.
Old 09-09-2019, 08:44 AM
Veteran member

When we bought our house (third one here) I asked the man who showed it to us the day we moved in about putting my little stone Dalmatian dog out front. He, who works in a upper position for TV said, go ahead. If a neighbor is a tattle tale you may have to put it under the eaves. The villages doesn’t go around inspecting such little things and only very hesitantly say anything unless there is a complaint. I put the dog out beside the fire hydrant for years but he needed paint so he is now gone. None of my neighbors objected or had a hissy fit over him. I guess I was lucky to move into a reasonable area. It was far from having junk vehicles in the yard.
Old 09-09-2019, 08:46 AM
Sage

Please feel free to argue with someone else and don’t put words in my mouth as you have no idea what I think. I am only explaining how things work and the probable reason why things are the way they are. You seem to be totally oblivious to the nuts and bolts of actually enforcing deed restrictions in a large community and the limited options that are available. I am sorry this is not Camelot. Perhaps you should have researched The Villages in more detail. Have a nice day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazuela View Post
So, you think that any resident of any part of the Villages is doing everyone a favor by going around neighborhoods she doesn't live in, with the intention of collecting a list of addresses with violations to turn in to Community Standards.

And in the same breath, you think that an individual working for Community Standards, who is also a resident of any part of the Villages, whose job it is to check out these lists of violations, should NOT submit their own complaints when they see violations that aren't on those lists.

It's important and helpful if one person does it, but it's also important and helpful if someone else doesn't do it.

I "fine" that hypocritical.

Last edited by biker1; 09-09-2019 at 09:06 AM.
Old 09-09-2019, 09:00 AM

It seems there is always someone who thinks it is their job to control everyone else. "What you are speaks so loudly I can not here what you say", Ralph Waldo Emerson
Old 09-09-2019, 09:21 AM
Michael Charles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortal1 View Post
with turning in folks with deed restriction violations.

Perhaps those who don't appreciate the folks who don't want our neighborhoods looking like a trailer park filled with degenerates are part of the problem.
Shame on you and your stereotypical comment about trailer parks. Your attitude towards them is shameful. There are degenerates in every community and especially in every income group just look at the recent news about filthy rich people who sexually assaulted others. Imagine that someone in a million dollar home right next door to you doing things that only degenerates" do. I'm certain that their neighbors are in total shock.

Please turn me in for having a 8" ceramic turtle in my flower bed.
Old 09-09-2019, 09:27 AM

Perhaps if you were aware that anyone can register a complaint you would feel differently. Yes, anyone, whether they are an owner or not can make a complaint. Imagine if you fired a vendor and they could retaliate by making an anonymous complaint causing you to have to make a change?
Old 09-09-2019, 09:34 AM

I guess I have caring neighbors here in Fenny and elsewhere in the Southern Oaks area. If there is someone "out of compliance" we go over there and ask if they need help. Finger pointing does not lead to a cohesive neighborhood. There are people here that need a boost sometimes. I know my friend did and neighbors helped with his yard, asked him to dinner, helped w/meals. They still check in and I visit every weekend. One may move here w/great intentions, but sickness and/or emergencies happen. I will be moving back soon to help, but I thank these people for their caring, not complaining.
Old 09-09-2019, 09:35 AM
Default deed restrictions

Deed restrictions are in place and accepted by everyone who moves in The Villages when you buy a home here. Property values are saved and rise in value because of these restrictions. If you are so proud of your home made glass bottle tree or your statues or your personal art work or your cactus garden or your trailor park reflectors lining your front yard or your 3 ft fish planter with flowers growing out of its mouth just put it out in your back yard so you can lounge all day on your barca lounger chair viewing your bad taste thru your sliding glass door but please put a nice thick hedge up first so your rear neighbors do not have to look at it.
Old 09-09-2019, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron32162 View Post
Deed restrictions are in place and accepted by everyone who moves in The Villages when you buy a home here. Property values are saved and rise in value because of these restrictions. If you are so proud of your home made glass bottle tree or your statues or your personal art work or your cactus garden or your trailor park reflectors lining your front yard or your 3 ft fish planter with flowers growing out of its mouth just put it out in your back yard so you can lounge all day on your barca lounger chair viewing your bad taste thru your sliding glass door but please put a nice thick hedge up first so your rear neighbors do not have to look at it.
I see and how many gold fish can I have if I promise to keep them on a leash?

Edit: In case you think I am just being silly, the deed restrictions specifically state I can have only 2 goldfish and they must be kept on leashes at all times.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-09-09 at 8.43.38 AM.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	23.9 KB
ID:	80901  

Last edited by Martian; 09-09-2019 at 09:48 AM.
Old 09-09-2019, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingenuity View Post
I guess I have caring neighbors here in Fenny and elsewhere in the Southern Oaks area. If there is someone "out of compliance" we go over there and ask if they need help. Finger pointing does not lead to a cohesive neighborhood. There are people here that need a boost sometimes. I know my friend did and neighbors helped with his yard, asked him to dinner, helped w/meals. They still check in and I visit every weekend. One may move here w/great intentions, but sickness and/or emergencies happen. I will be moving back soon to help, but I thank these people for their caring, not complaining.
Excellent post!

Old 09-09-2019, 09:52 AM
Default Get Over It

For all of the people complaining and calling out "rats".

Stop being childish idiots.

If I drive thru your neighborhood and your weeds are two feet high, I'm reporting you.

There are a lot of hoods that I drive thru to either get to a club, rec center, golf course etc. If I see a violation, reported.
Old 09-09-2019, 09:58 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Ohiobuckeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aces4 View Post
I can only tell you how it affects me and that it reminds me of Nazi Germany and how neighbors turned in neighbors. I don’t mind the restrictions but I don’t like the snitching.
Well I have to agree with you. We moved from the Villages after 8 yrs. but not for that reason. Where we live now it’s just like you said it was there only worse. Here they they email you or text you & curse you. The sad thing here about the people they only pick certain words out of your complaint & don’t quote exactly what you say. Most people complain just because they want you to Respond. Hope it works out!
Old 09-09-2019, 09:58 AM

I agree calling people idiots, that you only know via the internet is a way to win friends and influence people. But, then somehow I don't think the point of your post was either. So, this is not a discussion of differing views, simply a black board where people can post their opinions and make fun of other people.

Tags
restrictions, deed, folks, enforce, complain

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.