Sod / Grass Repalcement

Closed Thread
Old 05-09-2021, 10:28 AM
Default Sod / Grass Repalcement

Hello-

My lawn guy really messed-up my lawn, burnt-it and tried to fix the lawn dead spots by replacing the dead grass with sod. He did a terrible job and looking for anyone who will dig up old grass and replace it with fresh sod (PROPERLY). The area is about 400 square feet. Any suggestions appreciated. Thanks

BTW - P L E A S E do not recommend Good Neighbor Service, Central Termite and Pest

Last edited by DavidCovid; 05-09-2021 at 10:47 AM.
Old 05-09-2021, 12:02 PM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,340 Times in 1,448 Posts

First of all let us know who the rascal was that ruined your lawn so we can all stay away, second he or she should be the ones replacing it, third being only 400 sq. ft. I would assume that any true landscaper can do the job correctly for you.
Old 05-09-2021, 12:04 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,167 Times in 439 Posts

Alan's sod 352-245-8971, the best sod anywhere.
Old 05-09-2021, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageogauge View Post
First of all let us know who the rascal was that ruined your lawn so we can all stay away, second he or she should be the ones replacing it, third being only 400 sq. ft. I would assume that any true landscaper can do the job correctly for you.
Thanks but looking for a specific "sod-guy person' who can do a small area. Thanks
Old 05-10-2021, 12:27 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,875 Times in 949 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidCovid View Post
Thanks but looking for a specific "sod-guy person' who can do a small area. Thanks
My OPINION. The first question is what kind of grass do you have. In the villages it is either St Augustine or Empire Zoysia. The next question is why did it die.

The why did it die is important. If, you do not cure the problem it will kill the new sod you will pay to have put down.

If, you have St Augustine and it died due to lack of water, it is dead. You need to repair adjust watering practice. If, you have Empire Zoysia, it goes dormant due to lack of water and increasing the water, it will come back.

If, you or someone applied a wrong chemical, you need to wait several weeks for it to wash out.. If, insects, you need to kill them, likely more than one application to get them all.

In any case, sod is grass from which they cut off most of the root system to create that carpet kind of stuff that we buy as sod. A proper installation would be a soil test, a proper preparation of the area, likely adding organic matter, manure, compost kind of products, before you or they roll out sod. Due to the fact that most of the roots have been cut off, new sod will need to be regularly watered.
Old 05-10-2021, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVES View Post
My OPINION. The first question is what kind of grass do you have. In the villages it is either St Augustine or Empire Zoysia. The next question is why did it die.

The why did it die is important. If, you do not cure the problem it will kill the new sod you will pay to have put down.

If, you have St Augustine and it died due to lack of water, it is dead. You need to repair adjust watering practice. If, you have Empire Zoysia, it goes dormant due to lack of water and increasing the water, it will come back.

If, you or someone applied a wrong chemical, you need to wait several weeks for it to wash out.. If, insects, you need to kill them, likely more than one application to get them all.

In any case, sod is grass from which they cut off most of the root system to create that carpet kind of stuff that we buy as sod. A proper installation would be a soil test, a proper preparation of the area, likely adding organic matter, manure, compost kind of products, before you or they roll out sod. Due to the fact that most of the roots have been cut off, new sod will need to be regularly watered.
Thanks- My grass is / was St. Augustine grass which was burnt by adding the wrong mix of bug spray. The tech admitted he messed-up and told me too bad when I asked him to fix it. He is gone. The area of dead grass is approximately 20 ft x 30 feet. Looking for any suggestions on sod guys. Thanks.
Old 05-10-2021, 07:01 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Quote:
The tech admitted he messed-up and told me too bad when I asked him to fix it. He is gone.
Judge Judy
Betty White (1922-2021) R.I.P.
Old 05-10-2021, 07:18 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

Massey has replaced a large section of my yard. Quality sod and installation.
Old 05-12-2021, 02:51 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFNJ View Post
Judge Judy
Amusing BUT, the OP said he is gone. Too many of these people and being a business, it means that they spent $10.00 for some business cards. Licensed and insured for many means they have a drivers license and auto insurance-both may be expired.

I do my own chemistry. Easy enough if you read. I do not have the best lawn in the villages but it is good enough and my costs as well as my water bill is far less than many.

In 8 years we've had 4 different mowing guys. They've all been promptly paid. I do not complain, if they leave clumps around I just rake them up. I've always lived in a place with a lawn. This is the first time I had anyone but me mow. I am 9 year older. One more and I may well buy a lawn mower.
Old 05-12-2021, 03:04 PM
Sage

Quote:
Thanks- My grass is / was St. Augustine grass which was burnt by adding the wrong mix of bug spray. The tech admitted he messed-up and told me too bad when I asked him to fix it. He is gone. The area of dead grass is approximately 20 ft x 30 feet. Looking for any suggestions on sod guys. Thanks.
I of course can't see your situation. If, you have St Augustine there is a difference between damaged and dead. You may want to cut out a sample at the edge between what is good and what is damaged and bring it to the cooperative extension. They will be able to tell you, advise you what to do. You may be able to just rake out the dead stuff and live stuff mixed in, if there is some, will heal itself. St Augustine is more subject to damage from weed killers particularly in the heat compared to the Zoyzia.

I regularly laugh, your lawn can't read. Sometimes that is a good thing. Sometimes it is not. Can't help it. Some of the lawn experts, do not read any better than your lawn does.
Old 05-16-2021, 07:23 AM

Hi-
I apologize for bringing up this thread again, but I would sincerely appreciate any suggestions ( name & number ) on a sod replacement individual. Thanks
Closed Thread

Tags
sod, grass, lawn, dead, dig

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.