Solar attic fan installation

Closed Thread
Old 07-14-2023, 11:24 AM
Default Solar attic fan installation

Any recommendations for a reliable and qualified contractor to install an attic fan???
Old 07-14-2023, 11:29 AM

The Solar Guys just did ours and they were great
Old 07-14-2023, 02:02 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Drayton Plains, MI, Vietnam, Waterford, MI, Pennacamp, Fernandina, Duval, 1 retired in Richmond
Thanked 1,588 Times in 567 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOERILLA View Post
The Solar Guys just did ours and they were great
What difference did you notice in the garage. I have thermometer in garage and record with outside. Looking to lower temp in garage
Old 07-14-2023, 02:50 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,973 Times in 755 Posts

The attic fan may help opening attic access is a possible fire hazard.
What may help is adding insulation to attic above garage and installing insulation panels to garage doors.
I use my garage as a workshop for hobbies added a floor model a/c unit vented out thru window by adding insulation. Garage door insulation on a typical day like today it’s in the 80’s without a/c on.
Old 07-14-2023, 02:55 PM

We had Solar Guys do ours mainly to help reduce the temp and moisture for our stored goods up there. I use my garage as work area as well and putting the insulation into the doors made the biggest difference for us. I have windows in my garage doors so I had them tinted and that made a difference as well, not as much as the insulation though. My garage door faces east so the mornings get the worst of it. Finally I put a split AC in the garage and that made it so I can paint in there year round.
Old 07-14-2023, 03:00 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Drayton Plains, MI, Vietnam, Waterford, MI, Pennacamp, Fernandina, Duval, 1 retired in Richmond
Thanked 1,588 Times in 567 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GpaVader View Post
We had Solar Guys do ours mainly to help reduce the temp and moisture for our stored goods up there. I use my garage as work area as well and putting the insulation into the doors made the biggest difference for us. I have windows in my garage doors so I had them tinted and that made a difference as well, not as much as the insulation though. My garage door faces east so the mornings get the worst of it. Finally I put a split AC in the garage and that made it so I can paint in there year round.
How much did the split help with the garage temp?
Old 07-14-2023, 03:36 PM

Solar Guys, excellent. Now my attic never gets more than 10 degrees hotter than the outside air.
Old 07-15-2023, 05:22 AM

Solar. Gus did both attic fans (we had two installed due to size of roof) and they also put insulation above attic. We also put Gila film on the window in the garage along with styrofoam in the garage door panels. We did last two DYI. Everything made huge difference in gage temp. Also, attic storage area a lot cooler. Our AC and heater runs less too. Highly recommend. Part of attic fan cost was tax deductible. We also received discount from Solar Guys for doing more than one thing. They also put in our solar tubes.
Old 07-15-2023, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GpaVader View Post
Is the attic fan loud? I have blown in in the attic and when it rains, the house sounds like I’m in a tent lol! I’m looking to insulate the garage next year and possibly add an ductless.
Old 07-15-2023, 06:20 AM
Default Solar Guys did ours

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjackson8 View Post
Any recommendations for a reliable and qualified contractor to install an attic fan???
Solar Guys did ours. Work great and the installed quickly and very clean.
Won’t disappoint
Old 07-15-2023, 06:56 AM

Another vote for solar guys / roof guys. (Same company) Roof guys recently installed a solar fan while replacing the roof. I used pinnacle sun shingles that has cool roof technology that reflects the radiant heat away from the roof decreasing attic temps, cooling needs and costs and increases overall energy efficiency of home
Old 07-15-2023, 07:30 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,863 Times in 786 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keefelane66 View Post
The attic fan may help opening attic access is a possible fire hazard.
What may help is adding insulation to attic above garage and installing insulation panels to garage doors.
I use my garage as a workshop for hobbies added a floor model a/c unit vented out thru window by adding insulation. Garage door insulation on a typical day like today it’s in the 80’s without a/c on.
The attic fans installed by The Solar Guys are not fire hazards because a sudden rise in temp makes them stop and seal their metal flaps. They are designed for that. However, I had one installed—about $600, or a bit more. Then I realized that if it’s 90° outside and I have a couple tons of hot car parked in my garage, an attic fan wouldn’t really make too much difference to the garage temp. I wish I hadn’t put one in. Putting in an AC was out of the question.
Old 07-15-2023, 07:32 AM
Default Dont

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjackson8 View Post
Waste of money. It would take a drop of 30° to even make a couple of degree change. Snake oil presentation
Old 07-15-2023, 09:29 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,665 Times in 594 Posts

Solar Guys.
Old 07-15-2023, 09:36 AM

Having been in the business, we used a laser sensor heat monitor to show the homeowner a minimum of 20 degree attic temp drop with solar attic fans. Also, the electric garage coolers have a heat sensor that shuts and closes the vents when temp increases due to fire. I recommend the Solar Guys.
Closed Thread

Tags
attic, fan, solar, installation, recommendations

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.