Solar Energy In TV

Closed Thread
Old 10-08-2019, 07:44 AM
Sage

I went back two years (as far back as I keep the bills). The cost per kWh has increased 0.5% over two years when dividing the total bill by the number of kWhs used. The actual rate that is being charged has not changed in at least two years. The total bill contains items other than the number of kWhs used times the rate such as a "customer charge" per month (regardless of the amount of electricity used, essentially the cost of being connected to the grid). It appears that the 0.5% increase over two years has come from the increase in the "customer charge". Since you will still be hooked up to the grid, you will continue to pay the "customer charge" each month. During the spring and fall, when electric use is low, the monthly "customer charge" is about 33% of my total bill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debelg View Post
I just signed a contract for 34 panels and yes of course I could have taken the money and invested it but then you need to take in consideration the risk/reward factor and if you are already a investor then solar is just another way to invest . I will bring your bills down as soon as it is hooked up to the grid . also take a look at your utility bills from a year ago and even a couple years ago if you still have them ,like clockwork the rates increase yearly how much will you pay 10 years from now . D uke Energy is building Solar fields (why do you think that is? ) My system should be paid back in about 8 years so what if it takes 10 Every month I will be putting my Energy invoices in my desk with a big smile on my face ,,,,,,,,, will you ? just my 2 cents
enjoy your day

Last edited by biker1; 10-08-2019 at 08:01 AM.
Old 10-08-2019, 01:54 PM

of course the increase is always small but it is there to be multiplied by the number of KWH don't forget the increase when you go over 1000KWH and what about the Asset Securitizatation another .254 nothing seems big but over the years it all adds up but this is just what the utilities want …….. happy customers .
as for me I opted for nearly $$0.00$$ bills that will make me Happy .
Remember
not one system will ever make us ALL happy
enjoy your day
Old 10-08-2019, 02:13 PM
Sage

I think you missed my point. The rates (up to 1000 kWhs and over 1000 kWhs) haven't increased for the last two years. Your bill won't go to nearly $0.00 because you will always be paying a "customer charge", and any other charges if you are still connected to the grid, currently $24 per month for SECO, and that is where the recent increases have come from. I would love to install solar panels but the economics just aren't there. My own calculations put the payback time at over 10 years, excluding future value of money calculations, plus the panels are still experiencing deflation. Please do report on the installation procedure and your bills for the first couple of months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debelg View Post
of course the increase is always small but it is there to be multiplied by the number of KWH don't forget the increase when you go over 1000KWH and what about the Asset Securitizatation another .254 nothing seems big but over the years it all adds up but this is just what the utilities want …….. happy customers .
as for me I opted for nearly $$0.00$$ bills that will make me Happy .
Remember
not one system will ever make us ALL happy
enjoy your day

Last edited by biker1; 10-08-2019 at 02:33 PM.
Old 10-10-2019, 03:53 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,717 Times in 5,245 Posts

The U.S. Department of Energy claims that, nationwide, the market value of a house increases by an average of 4 dollars per watt of solar panels installed. So, a house with a 5 kilowatt solar panel system is worth $20,000 more than one without a solar system. I think that is more than the actual initial cost for the solar system. Call me skeptical, but I don't believe the DOE's claim is true in The Villages, or other places I have lived. Personally, I don't think I would even buy a house with a solar system because of the unknown factors involved, such as maintenance. But, I would really like to hear from someone who sells houses for an expert opinion. Are home buyers willing to pay more for a house with a solar system?
Old 10-10-2019, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
The U.S. Department of Energy claims that, nationwide, the market value of a house increases by an average of 4 dollars per watt of solar panels installed. So, a house with a 5 kilowatt solar panel system is worth $20,000 more than one without a solar system. I think that is more than the actual initial cost for the solar system. Call me skeptical, but I don't believe the DOE's claim is true in The Villages, or other places I have lived. Personally, I don't think I would even buy a house with a solar system because of the unknown factors involved, such as maintenance. But, I would really like to hear from someone who sells houses for an expert opinion. Are home buyers willing to pay more for a house with a solar system?

I would expect a deep discount, naw. I just wouldn't buy the white elephant.

"The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears..."
George Orwell
Old 10-10-2019, 06:49 PM
Veteran member

A house that runs with a ZERO electric bill is something most buyers would find attractive IMO.
Old 10-10-2019, 06:50 PM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,340 Times in 1,448 Posts

I'm soooooo confused.
Old 10-11-2019, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toymeister View Post
How much surplus is sold back to SECO?
You guys are lucky that SECO will buy your surplus. Where I am in VA the local power company does not. I recently had a solar salesperson out and it made more financial sense to put fewer panels on my home. Nope, not worth it.

When we move to TV, I’ll think real hard about it since we plan to move down in our 50s. But if we move a few times within TV, that may negate the value. Solar only makes sense if you stay somewhere 10+ years after it’s put in.
Old 10-11-2019, 07:49 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,347 Times in 735 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatureBoy View Post
You guys are lucky that SECO will buy your surplus. Where I am in VA the local power company does not. I recently had a solar salesperson out and it made more financial sense to put fewer panels on my home. Nope, not worth it.

When we move to TV, I’ll think real hard about it since we plan to move down in our 50s. But if we move a few times within TV, that may negate the value. Solar only makes sense if you stay somewhere 10+ years after it’s put in.
Florida's utilities lobbied very hard and later placed an amendment on the ballot within the past two years to stop any pro-solar efforts for consumers in the state. The solar group won, hopefully this will be the end of this anti solar movement by the utilities.
Old 10-11-2019, 12:53 PM
Soaring Eagle member

I think you need to be able to send your surplus electric to the utility and have it returned on cloudy days and at night to make it reasonable to install solar. You can in Fl.
As an alternative you would need battery walls but these may have to support your for a couple of days so they may not be a reasonable option.
Old 10-11-2019, 02:05 PM
Sage
Thanked 7,371 Times in 2,517 Posts

I am in UK and have Mitsubishi Air Source heating system installed. House is all electric.
Had it for two years and it has cut my electricity bill by about 30% per year, and lets face it, we here do not get the same amount of sunshine or temperatures as Florida.
Just another source of energy saving to consider.
Old 12-16-2019, 05:31 PM

Just turned on my 7.44kw 24 panel system by Solar Energy World in Tampa. Feel free to message me if you'd like a tour.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	imagejpeg_0 2.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	90.7 KB
ID:	82238   The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	imagejpeg_2.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	82239   The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	imagejpeg_3.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	82240  

Last edited by sweethomeru; 01-24-2020 at 08:08 AM.
Old 12-16-2019, 07:35 PM
Soaring Eagle member

"Your bill won't go to nearly $0.00 because you will always be paying a "customer charge", and any other charges if you are still connected to the grid, currently $24 per month for SECO, and that is where the recent increases have come from."

A good reason for buying the battery storage as well and going "off grid". However, can anyone enlighten me on the cost of a typical "whole house" battery and its likely lifespan?

This is an interesting read:
7 Best Batteries for Solar Panels 2019 [Including Buying Guide]
but I should like to hear any personal experience too.

Thank you
Old 12-16-2019, 07:51 PM

This an interesting topic,, I wonder why we as village residents don’t ask that solar fields be built by the villages on some lands not suitable for construction. Or lands outside the villages,, perhaps we could generate enough electricity, that the entire villages area would be energy neutral.
Old 12-16-2019, 08:07 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmike18 View Post
This an interesting topic,, I wonder why we as village residents don’t ask that solar fields be built by the villages on some lands not suitable for construction. Or lands outside the villages,, perhaps we could generate enough electricity, that the entire villages area would be energy neutral.
You would have to hook it up to the grid that SECO runs and maintains, and I doubt if SECO would want you to compete with them in selling electricity to Villagers.
Closed Thread

Tags
solar, experience, case, system, years

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.