Solar house

Closed Thread
Old 07-24-2021, 11:25 AM
Default Solar house

Thank you for buying your electricity from me.

On sunny days like today, my solar house makes more electricity than I need to cool it. So the electricity company buys my excess electricity and resells it to you.

I have no great-grandchildren yet, but if I did, they would thank you too because they will have to live on the planet we leave to them. If you have children and grandchildren, you might think of converting to solar. It costs almost nothing as the bill on the solar loan is about the same as the bill to the electric company would be. And every month, the solar company sends a report showing how many tons of carbon my house has offset.

If humanity is to thrive, we will have to defeat global temperature rise, and we Floridians have a unique opportunity to make a significant impact with minimum sacrifice.

If someone from The Villages LLC reads this, I hope they will consider making solar an option for all new construction – residential and commercial.
Old 07-24-2021, 02:59 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zendog3 View Post

On sunny days like today, my solar house makes more electricity than I need to cool it. So the electricity company buys my excess electricity and resells it to you.

I have no great-grandchildren yet, but if I did, they would thank you too because they will have to live on the planet we leave to them. If you have children and grandchildren, you might think of converting to solar. It costs almost nothing as the bill on the solar loan is about the same as the bill to the electric company would be. And every month, the solar company sends a report showing how many tons of carbon my house has offset.

If humanity is to thrive, we will have to defeat global temperature rise, and we Floridians have a unique opportunity to make a significant impact with minimum sacrifice.

If someone from The Villages LLC reads this, I hope they will consider making solar an option for all new construction – residential and commercial.
And the additional construction cost to accomplish this is????????
Old 07-24-2021, 03:03 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,445 Times in 580 Posts

Quote:

Now here comes the solar deniers. I had a neighbor unfortunately dead now that said solar panels only work in outer space as he set up his solar sidewalk lamps because the battery inside was so good lasted forever.
Old 07-24-2021, 09:01 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,347 Times in 735 Posts

I am so grateful or the returns on my investments over the past 19 months which, for the cost of an installed solar system, I have enough to cover my electricity cost for ELEVEN YEARS and I still have the the funds to buy a solar array.

But I won't. And that's OK. I'll do me, you do you OP.
Old 07-25-2021, 11:07 AM
Soaring Eagle member

I purchased a system a few years ago and at that time there was no way I could calculate a breakeven point. My salesman could of course. I like the system but do not do it with the idea that you will come out ahead on the dollars.
The unknown is how will future rates be affected by inflation and the cost of getting rid of oil, gas and nuclear sources. I just might get to a breakeven.
Old 07-25-2021, 02:33 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Perhaps OP sells solar?
Old 07-25-2021, 03:14 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,276 Times in 4,296 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dana1963 View Post
Now here comes the solar deniers. I had a neighbor unfortunately dead now that said solar panels only work in outer space as he set up his solar sidewalk lamps because the battery inside was so good lasted forever.
Not a denier, but a realist...

Solar Panels are not without their own problems...

Giant desert solar farms might have unintended climate consequences | Greenbiz

-Tom Petty
Old 07-25-2021, 03:50 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:

Are we to take this on faith too, Sister?
Old 07-25-2021, 04:04 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,682 Times in 1,534 Posts

Quote:

I've seen several roofs with solar panels on them; one just lately about a block from here. We've chatted about going that route too.

I'm not the rah-rah type when it comes to lowering global temperatures, carbon footprints, saving the planet, etc. The planet got along fine before I arrived and I suspect that it will get along just fine after I leave. But the money-saving aspect does interest me. Not only that but I suspect it adds to the resale value of the house as well.
Old 07-25-2021, 04:24 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 2,008 Times in 440 Posts

There are no "solar deniers"...just people who understand science and common sense. Do they get the energy to build your house and it's components from solar power? Nope. Do they build the solar panels using solar power? Nope.

Are we, as humans, arrogant enough to think our burning of fossil fuels is enough to cause global warming? Yup. Does global climate change happen as the earth changes? Yup. Will the earth keep changing and having quite hot periods and ice ages without our input?Yup.The earth is a mega huge chunk of space junk cobbled together by chance and a young universe and solar system. Anyone who thinks we can reverse a naturally occurring process spends most of their time sitting on their brains trying to find meaning in a completely random universe. They are...in effect...not too bright and scared by the fear mongers who only want them to follow as sheep. They want more meaning in their lives and will follow anyone who can make money off of them.

The only deniers are those who refuse to learn from the earths past. One mega volcano puts out more deadly gas and ash than a 100 years of burning oil, coal and wood. How come with 1000's of years of volcanoes are we not living on a dried out husk like Mars? Hmmm?

There are those of us who seem to find meaning in being afraid...then there are those of us who do the best we can, follow the science and do what we can to save the things that are becoming scarce or disappearing altogether.

America does more to lower emissions than any other country. If you believe so strongly why aren't you spending your time going after china, Russia and other polluters? Because it's difficult and this way you can sit on your arse and pontificate to those who you think are at fault in this country.

Solar might be one of the answers one day, but as of now it's so inefficient you may as well go back to horse power...literally.

Now please go back to sleep and when you can visit me with solar(alternative)power that actually is created using solar power and is reasonable for all leave me alone!!!
Old 07-25-2021, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdOfFive View Post
I've seen several roofs with solar panels on them; one just lately about a block from here. We've chatted about going that route too.

I'm not the rah-rah type when it comes to lowering global temperatures, carbon footprints, saving the planet, etc. The planet got along fine before I arrived and I suspect that it will get along just fine after I leave. But the money-saving aspect does interest me. Not only that but I suspect it adds to the resale value of the house as well.
You are absolutely correct. The planet will get along just fine after you leave. The question is whether humans will survive. Humans have been on the planet for VERY small fraction of the planet's history.
Old 07-25-2021, 04:33 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,251 Posts

Quote:

In my opinion, you are misguided on both counts. Solar panels will not save you money because the payback period for the initial system cost is way too long, usually about 15 years or longer. Those who sell solar systems will give you an unrealistic payback calculation that almost never includes the lost investment income value of the initial system cost. They will also give you a 25 to 30 year parts and labor warranty, which no contractor could ever expect to honor. Also, when you sell your house, you will probably get less money for it because most people do not want to buy a house with a solar system because of potential maintenance and roof issues.
Old 07-25-2021, 04:50 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,156 Times in 2,250 Posts

Quote:

Also, if you happen to sign a NO COST type contract, you will find you cannot cancel the contract, and the new home owner MUST take over the contract. I have seen several news articles where it was reported this was a deal breaker.
Old 07-25-2021, 04:58 PM
John41

Quote:

Power companies are required to buy your power at a rate that subsidizes you. If we all got solar your subsidy would be eliminated.
Old 07-25-2021, 09:47 PM
Default OP does not sell solar!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
Perhaps OP sells solar?
OP has no financial interest in solar. He is uninterested in arguing with people who believe global warming is a hoax. And, he did not put panels on his house as any kind of a "good investment".

OP believes global warming is an existential threat to the creatures of the earth, including his progeny, and he is moved to take reasonable action to help leave a healthy earth to those who will be here after he passes.
Closed Thread

Tags
solar, electricity, house, company, bill

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.