Solicitors

Closed Thread
Old 10-28-2010, 04:05 PM
Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pturner View Post
Hi TH, I think you are making much ado about not much. .

Maybe so but I think it will be challenged some day. My guess is that we will not be the winners.

I have been in the "free speech" business all my teenage and adult life. I know what it means and I know how to defend it. It frightens me to think that anybody, under any circumstances would stand in the way of somebody speaking their piece on public property. Religious organizations, politicians and sales people have been knocking on doors since the very beginning of the Unites State of America. I hate to see that now we want to chase them off with a shotgun.
Old 10-28-2010, 04:22 PM
Veteran member

But we're not talking about public property. We're talking about strangers who want to get into your home.
Old 10-28-2010, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajack View Post
What does that mean???
That 'You don't Know Her" was the other part of the "I'm not a witch " speech

it will probably become a catch phrase like the old "You're no Jack Kennedy"

the second part of the posting was not part of the cynicism/sarcasm/joke

Hope that clears things up

L and L

Still overworked in Rural Md......
......visiting our TV homes when possible
Old 10-28-2010, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talk Host View Post
Maybe so but I think it will be challenged some day. My guess is that we will not be the winners.

I have been in the "free speech" business all my teenage and adult life. I know what it means and I know how to defend it. It frightens me to think that anybody, under any circumstances would stand in the way of somebody speaking their piece on public property. Religious organizations, politicians and and sales people have been knocking on doors since the very beginning of the Unites State of America. I hate to see that now we want to chase them off with a shotgun.
Really TH, No one is going to drive them off with a shotgun.
Old 10-28-2010, 04:48 PM
Sage

Quote:

I have been in the "free speech" business all my teenage and adult life. I know what it means and I know how to defend it. It frightens me to think that anybody, under any circumstances would stand in the way of somebody speaking their piece on public property. Religious organizations, politicians and and sales people have been knocking on doors since the very beginning of the Unites State of America. I hate to see that now we want to chase them off with a shotgun.
Public roadways, yes, I get that. As for door-to-door, I wouldn't chase 'em off with a shotgun either. I'd just mention the "no soliciting" policy and ask them to leave.

Sure someday, a salesman (religious, political or otherwise) might challenge the policy. I don't live in fear of that day. Where I live now, my only defense against door-to-door solicitors is to ask them to leave. If that's my only defense in TV, c'est la vie. Much ado about not much.
Old 10-28-2010, 05:07 PM

Quote:
That's exactly my point. What enforceable rules? The streets are public streets. The properties are owned by private individuals. The Villages doesn't have lawmaking authority, or does it? Even if it does, can it enforce it's Villages laws with outsiders? The only enforceable law would be one made by the county. Does that exist, it may.

I'm thinking that unless the homeowners post a "no trespassing" sign (no signs allowed) then nothing can be enforced.

The only reason I point this out is that I believe some people have a false sense that this is a gated, closed community. I think that on a public street anybody can stand and speak their piece? Knocking on doors is a little different if there is a "no trespassing" sign.

Somebody here talked about a "shotgun" to deter religious solicitation. Seems kind of extreme to me. What if it was a person from St. Marks handing out information about a spaghetti supper? I personally wouldn't aim a shotgun at them, (even an empty one) as I don't believe that it's a capitol offense.

JLK
Interesting ...I also thought TV was a gated community....Is all streets public...If not what makes it a retirement community....Just the average age of home owners? I will have to bring this up November when I talk with Tim Andrews which is a realtor for TV and I will ask him this question and see what he has to say !
Old 10-28-2010, 05:23 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by thistrucksforyou View Post
Interesting ...I also thought TV was a gated community....Is all streets public...If not what makes it a retirement community....Just the average age of home owners? I will have to bring this up November when I talk with Tim Andrews which is a realtor for TV and I will ask him this question and see what he has to say !
Hi Thistruck,

Although there are gates, TV is not a "gated community". The roads are public. That means, among other things, the roads are paved and maintained by the county.

What makes TV a retirement community are the facts that:
  • 80 percent of the homes must have someone 55 or older living in them
  • No one under 19 can live in TV

What makes it a fabulous retirement community are the pools, recreation centers, golf courses, town squares, shops and restaurants, golf cart lifestyle, bowling centers, movie theaters, hundreds of clubs and activities, beautifully maintained commons areas, etc.

If you are looking for a gated community, you're in luck! There are probably tens of thousands of beautiful gated communities all across America, many of which are retirement communities.

On the other hand, there's no place like TV.
Old 10-28-2010, 06:34 PM
Veteran member

Where we live, on the south coast of England, we do get visited by a lot of Jehovas Witnesses! Our development seems to attract them for some reason! I have a stock answer, 'Oh I am so sorry, I dont have time, I am just off to donate blood' good bye!
Old 10-28-2010, 07:07 PM
Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pturner View Post
Public roadways, yes, I get that. As for door-to-door, I wouldn't chase 'em off with a shotgun either. I'd just mention the "no soliciting" policy and ask them to leave.

Sure someday, a salesman (religious, political or otherwise) might challenge the policy. I don't live in fear of that day. Where I live now, my only defense against door-to-door solicitors is to ask them to leave. If that's my only defense in TV, c'est la vie. Much ado about not much.

I agree with you and my vision was a little foggy when I mixed public roads and private houses.

My whole point, I think, is to remind Villages residents that they shouldn't be lulled into a false sense that they are somehow shielded from the outside world. Also that community watch has more power or authority than it really has.

I had a community watch supervisor tell me one night, "our main job is to help find Alzheimer patients when they wander off." I realize that it was an over simplification, but it telegraphs their thinking.

I have always been one to take up causes. When I ran for public office, I challenged the towns political sign ordinance, claiming it was unconstitutional. The town pleaded with me not to pursue it because they knew it was unconstitutional and said, "we don't have the money to fight it and we know that we'd lose."

I just hate rules that are visited on us when there is no way to enforce them, or justification for them in the first place.

JLK
Old 10-28-2010, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larryandlinda View Post
That 'You don't Know Her" was the other part of the "I'm not a witch " speech

it will probably become a catch phrase like the old "You're no Jack Kennedy"

the second part of the posting was not part of the cynicism/sarcasm/joke

Hope that clears things up

L and L
Only in "certain" circles. Catch phrase, like "you should be thanking me"? : )

Last edited by Ajack; 10-28-2010 at 08:04 PM.
Old 10-28-2010, 09:25 PM

The wife & I are Red Necks, we find out where all of the JW's live, then on Halloween night we knock on their door, they don't like it when someone knocks on their door. We just enjoy doing it!
Old 10-28-2010, 09:37 PM

The wife and I are Red Necks, we find out where the JW's live, then on Halloween night we knock on their door. They don't like it when someone knocks on their door. We just love doing it!
Old 10-29-2010, 06:32 AM
Veteran member
Send a message via MSN to Bryan

Talk Host is absolutely correct - there is no "law" against solicitation in TV. Someone said something about rules but rules are not enforceable by law enforcement. Those that say "call Community Watch" are also correct. Although they can't "do" anything about the solicitors, just their presence has a deterrent effect. And they will (usually) come and watch the solicitors and follow them around. If they don't, call Chief Tucker, Village Public Safety, and let him know his CW people aren't doing their jobs.

On a slightly different but related subject, sales persons who go door-to-door do have to be licensed by the state of Florida (but not politicians, religious or charitable organizations, people pushing ideas but not selling products or services). You can and should ask to see their state solicitation license. If they won't show you one, or don't have one, that is a violation of Florida law and you can call local law enforcement to report it and ask them to send an officer/deputy.
Old 10-29-2010, 07:32 AM
Default Solicitors

If it's true that many (most?) residents mistakenly believe The Villages is a private, gated community, outside solicitors may believe it, too.

So, telling someone that such soliciting is not allowed in the community may just be convincing enough. It's unlikely that the person coming to your door is well-versed in county ordinances.

If you can't lie to a door-to-door solicitor, who can you lie to?
Old 10-29-2010, 08:09 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

I have never heard of Jehovah Witness doing any harm to anyone. We have all had them come to save us. Just don't answer the door if it is someone you don't know and the ladies have that long hairdo and are carrying literature.

I think the unsolicited people who sell water softeners are worse.

I don't think a gun is needed for either.

I think it is much ado about nothing.

Fish gotta swim and birds gotta fly and JW's are gonna do what they do.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.