Are some Villages locations better than others?

Closed Thread
Old 09-29-2019, 11:13 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,933 Times in 2,456 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldchief5654 View Post
newbie here and not yet a villages owner. But, we're strongly considering a possible move here.
My question is, are some villages better or considered more desirable than others? Also, is there much difference in the property tax rates in the counties wherein villages neighborhoods are located? I'm particularly interested in marion county villages locations, as its a bit closer to our 2 of our 3 grown kids, who live in north fl and is also farther away from the orlando metro area, which i'd like to avoid. I know noting about any of the various villages developments but it just seems reasonable that some may be better and/or more desirable than others?
Will appreciate input from "seasoned" villages residents. Thanks!

yes!
Old 09-29-2019, 11:16 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,078 Times in 2,745 Posts

If cost is a big issue also consider the bond that comes along with a home. The bond balance due is effectively part of the cost of the home. Northern homes have little to no remaining bond balance due, the middle of the Villages homes typically still have a few years left to pay off the balance, and as you go further south and get into new construction you will be responsible for the entire bond. On occasion you may be lucky enough to find a home further south were a prior owner opted to pay of the entire bond balance rather then paying it off in installments over time, but those are hit or miss. Good luck with your search.
Old 09-29-2019, 11:21 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,933 Times in 2,456 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce zapolski View Post
South of 44 is the future of The Villages nobody has what they have down there but it’s getting better and better and it’s in Sumter County .ck it out
As long as you’re not 75 plus, if so you may miss it all
Old 09-29-2019, 11:52 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,682 Times in 632 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldchief5654 View Post
My question is, are some Villages better or considered more desirable than others? Thanks!
You have to decide for yourself which area would suit you best. Look at a map and use your brain.

For example, I hate to turn left onto a 4-lane street if there is no traffic light, so that ruled out many houses along Pinellas, Hillsborough, Odell, etc.

Since those streets have two car lanes and two golf cart lanes, they are 4-lane roads to me.
Old 09-29-2019, 12:00 PM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,340 Times in 1,448 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
Agree with the above post, although Sumter's taxes are no longer significantly lower than the other counties after the 25% increase. What areas are better than others is an individual choice, and what is good for some may be totally different for others. The only generalization I will make comparing different areas is that if Championship golf is important to you then avoid the new Villages area south of 44.
They are already working on a championship course south of 44 and it's a very short drive to courses north of 44.
Old 09-29-2019, 12:06 PM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,340 Times in 1,448 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
If cost is a big issue also consider the bond that comes along with a home. The bond balance due is effectively part of the cost of the home. Northern homes have little to no remaining bond balance due, the middle of the Villages homes typically still have a few years left to pay off the balance, and as you go further south and get into new construction you will be responsible for the entire bond. On occasion you may be lucky enough to find a home further south were a prior owner opted to pay of the entire bond balance rather then paying it off in installments over time, but those are hit or miss. Good luck with your search.
Also, the further north you go the older the homes are and replacing a roof and HVAC system can equal the cost of Bonds on some of the new units.
Old 09-29-2019, 12:25 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,167 Times in 1,928 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aw Man View Post
I live in The Villages and I love it but both my wife and I are avid golfers. If we didn't golf I can tell you we'd be living in Stonecrest right now.
Hubby and I do not golf but we much prefer The Villages lifestyle. The golf cart accessibility is the best in the world here in The Villages. Neighboring communities can not compare.
Old 09-29-2019, 12:42 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,167 Times in 439 Posts

There is the "elephant" in the room, as mentioned in another post (s),

South:

Noise from turnpike
Lack of golf accessible gas stations
Prison noise and lights
Critters

But

It's beautiful and many young folks
Old 09-29-2019, 02:01 PM
Veteran member
Location: The Villages - Formerly Atlanta Endicott and Syracuse NY

You'll see a great majority of posts talking about proximity to grocery, entertainment etc .. all in terms of "minutes" .. only 5 or 10 minutes from here or there.. And then there are people that don;t mind taking a golf cart ride to walmart or their favorite golf course that takes 45 minutes each way, when a via car it might take 15.. After living in Atlanta for 20 years, there aren;t enough cars here to make a good traffic jam, and anything located inside the bubble (that area considered inside the villages) is conveniently located. On the other hand, if you;re moving from small town America and think a ten minute car ride is a day trip, then pay attention to trip times already mentioned. So during your life style visit, explore as many areas as possible, take a couple of trolley tours, visit the squares and restaurants (and bars), and most of all .. talk to as many residents as possible .. Welcome
Old 09-29-2019, 02:15 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,513 Times in 3,106 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageogauge View Post
Also, the further north you go the older the homes are and replacing a roof and HVAC system can equal the cost of Bonds on some of the new units.
Although with many of them, the roofs have already been replaced. The older homes in the north, that have shingle roofs, are already years older than the typical expected lifespan of a roof - which is only 15 years. Even a "30-year" roof is only expected to last around 20-25 years. The homes built in 1992 during the original expansion are now around 27 years old.

Most of the homes I've seen on the Homefinder site in that area specify updated HVAC systems, so it shouldn't be hard to find something up to date even in the older sections.
Old 09-29-2019, 02:18 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,513 Times in 3,106 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
Hubby and I do not golf but we much prefer The Villages lifestyle. The golf cart accessibility is the best in the world here in The Villages. Neighboring communities can not compare.
Agree. I don't play golf, zero interest. Love being able to take a golf cart out to just about anywhere I need to go. Only thing I miss is walkability and public transportation. My northern home in Connecticut is only 3 blocks from the supermarket, and I lived 7 years in Boston and never had to drive a car the whole 7 years. I either walked or took the "T" (MBTA trolley/subway/bus system).
Old 09-29-2019, 02:23 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

Has anybody who comments on the lights and noise of the prison......ever heard or seen such?
Old 09-29-2019, 02:36 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageogauge View Post
Of course it depends on the age of the home. Ours is about 13 years old, has had the HVAC system replaced, and a new roof courtesy shingle warranty. Bond is paid.
Old 09-29-2019, 04:10 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Quote:
...I'm more in to boating, fishing, RV'ing, travel and outdoor recreation. I also like old car restoration and woodworking. We have scheduled a 4 day stay in a villa there, around the end of October and hope to learn a lot from that. Thanks again!
Most of the ponds and lakes in TV are off limits to fishing and boating for the most part except for Lake Miona. It's no more than a mile from LSL along Rainey's Trail, a road next to the Village of Bridgeport. They have a state park, very small (about 5 acres) but has a beach, a pier, a boat ramp, grills, picnic tables, restrooms and is within 100 yards of TV. There you can fish and boats are allowed, there's even a ski club here.

Life in The Villages

The Villages Florida

Outside the TV there is Ocala Nat'l Forest, east of Ocala about 45 minutes away from TV via back roads. I've been to the free rifle range there and it's not regulated, kind of a free-for-all with nobody in charge. As far as camping at Ocala, you'll have to investigate yourself. They're bears there and large contingent of homeless people who live in that area, also the Navy has a bombing range there. The best area for visitors would be between the Ocala Forest and Ocala itself, it's Silver Springs State Park, they have the glass bottom boat rides. The Creature from the Black Lagoon was filmed there along with the Jimmy Weismuller Tarzan movies.

About Silver Springs State Park-Florida's First Attraction, World Famous Glass Bottom Boats

The Villages Florida

Nearer to the south side of TV and east of TV is Leesburg and they also have a very large lake with plenty of boating and fishing. That is Lake Griffin and they a state park that is over 600 acres.

Lake Griffin State Park | Florida State Parks

The Villages Florida

There is a woodshop in TV opened in 2002, it's 8000 square feet and is near Spanish Springs off Rolling Acres Rd and is golf cart accessible. A a second woodshop will be built soon in the south end near Brownwood next to the fire station on Buena Vista. The first woodshop has a woodworkers club, here's a link.

Our Shop

The Villages Florida

AS far as golf, a lot of people have the understanding that if they can hit a ball with a bat that golf should be easy. I started when I was 12 and I think I probably shot a 125. It will take time to get better, but with retirement you have the time and here we have the executives, about 33 of them. They are 9 hole layouts of mostly par 3's and are great for those learning the game. They're free if you walk or $4 a round if driving your cart or $150 a year to play as many times as you want. The average executive takes about 90 minutes and you normally can find one or more within 10 minutes of your home. Golfing is also a great way to meet new people.

Golf The Villages

Outdoor activities might include archery. There is a Villages Archery Club and two ranges, one just east on 441 in the historic side near Spanish Springs. It very near the golf cart bridge that crosses 441/27. The other was recently opened in the new areas south of SR 44. At the 441/27 location they have an orientation class just about every Tue, Wed or Thursday morning. I took it a couple of years ago and it's fun and I bought my own bow. There is a nice archery shop in Ocala.

http://www.villagesarcheryclub.com/

The Villages Florida
Old 09-29-2019, 05:41 PM
Sage

Quote:
Newbie here and not yet a Villages owner. But, we're strongly considering a possible move here.
My question is, are some Villages better or considered more desirable than others? Also, is there much difference in the property tax rates in the counties wherein Villages neighborhoods are located? I'm particularly interested in Marion County Villages locations, as its a bit closer to our 2 of our 3 grown kids, who live in north FL and is also farther away from the Orlando metro area, which I'd like to avoid. I know noting about any of the various Villages developments but it just seems reasonable that some may be better and/or more desirable than others?
Will appreciate input from "seasoned" Villages residents. Thanks!
Here is a comparison of taxes for all areas of TV. In a few weeks, I will update it, but it probably won't be significantly different.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 2018 taxes comparison.pdf (126.4 KB, 291 views)
Closed Thread

Tags
villages, desirable, locations, area, metro

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.