Some will not like this message

Closed Thread
Old 10-15-2019, 04:09 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,515 Times in 3,106 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
Jazuela,

I get it and for what it’s worth, I think TV is now “too big for its britches.” Various ratios are already out of sync.

But you are in debate here with what is mostly a narrow demographic whose perspective comes only from their own place and time in the big picture. Within that narrow perspective, there is a spectrum ranging from, “Such is Life” to “Let them eat cake.”

While I seem to be awash in a sea of old sayings this morning, I might as well throw in another one: “When you find yourself banging your head against a brick wall, it feels so good when you stop.”

Sincerely,
Boomer

Totally agree. Narrow demographic with a narrow perspective, who - if they are very fortunate - will never have to experience truth as it is NOW (as opposed to truth as it was in 1981, for example). Meanwhile the rest of us will keep our eyes, minds, and hearts open to the challenges of living as a working person in the 21st century.
Old 10-15-2019, 04:14 PM
Sage

Fruitland Park doesn't have a lot of affordable housing; what's available are mostly run-down fixer-uppers under 100K. Been there, done that with a Fruitland Park fixer-upper. The outcome of our experience did lead to one thing, it raised prices in the neighborhood.
Old 10-15-2019, 04:57 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,624 Times in 1,765 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazuela View Post
Totally agree. Narrow demographic with a narrow perspective, who - if they are very fortunate - will never have to experience truth as it is NOW (as opposed to truth as it was in 1981, for example). Meanwhile the rest of us will keep our eyes, minds, and hearts open to the challenges of living as a working person in the 21st century.
Most of the folks residing in TV today likely came from modest or working class backgrounds, poor through middle class families, not upper middle class or above. They developed their ability to get and hold decent jobs by learning a skilled trade, or obtained a college education working their way through a state university or via a scholarship at a more expensive and perhaps exclusive private college. Over their lifetimes they worked hard, sacrificed to raise and educate their children and prudently saved to achieve a comfortable retirement. Most are over the age of 55 years. I suppose in this sense they fit into a "narrow demographic with a narrow perspective". One thing is certain, I admire, hold a lot of respect for and like such people!

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 10-15-2019, 04:58 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,796 Times in 734 Posts

[QUOTE=Boomer;1688798]Jazuela,

I get it and for what it’s worth, I think TV is now “too big for its britches.” Various ratios are already out of sync.

But you are in debate here with what is mostly a narrow demographic whose perspective comes only from their own place and time in the big picture. Within that narrow perspective, there is a spectrum ranging from, “Such is Life” to “Let them eat cake.”

While I seem to be awash in a sea of old sayings this morning, I might as well throw in another one: “When you find yourself banging your head against a brick wall, it feels so good when you stop.”

Sincerely,
Boomer[/

I find it humorous when the discussion is success is possible and most of us didn’t start at the top and we’re dismissed as a narrow demographic.

If we raised the children now in the manner we were raised, they would be successful too. Where were all of you when we struggled so hard and had so little? Yet we succeeded and our children are successful as they carry the burden of the crowd that uses the system for freebies.

I do think a huge part of the problem lies in one parent families and schools. Children have no role models and the education provided is subpar now.
Old 10-15-2019, 05:20 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to eweissenbach

It seems to me that the entire premise of this "study" is flawed. The statistical area of The Villages is Sumter County, which outside The Villages is the poorest county in Florida. IF the study actually was confined to the boundries of The Villages, I am confident it would portray a vastly different outcome. A vast majority of Villages residents moved here with little need for income. Those that need some income, are, for the most part, simply in need of supplemental income. Working poor is not a term I even think of when considering the residents of TV. I would say, if given the true picture of those residents of TV, that it may be the lowest representation of "working poor" in the country.
Old 10-15-2019, 05:44 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by eweissenbach View Post
It seems to me that the entire premise of this "study" is flawed. The statistical area of The Villages is Sumter County, which outside The Villages is the poorest county in Florida. IF the study actually was confined to the boundries of The Villages, I am confident it would portray a vastly different outcome. A vast majority of Villages residents moved here with little need for income. Those that need some income, are, for the most part, simply in need of supplemental income. Working poor is not a term I even think of when considering the residents of TV. I would say, if given the true picture of those residents of TV, that it may be the lowest representation of "working poor" in the country.
The Villages has the best credit scores of any place in this entire country. I am very proud of that.
Old 10-15-2019, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
Actually the OP's opening statement is about moving families here.

As far as this topic, when Walmart worries about finding new people, they'll quit opening new stores. Until then, I'll stick my head in the sand and enjoy The Villages and all that it offers. Happy Retirement!! I think I'll go see Joker today at the $5 movies.
As the OP, the reference to 'people moving here' is in regards to why would someone move to the local surrounding communities to work; not to move to the Villages itself to retire.

With a low unemployment rate within the local workforce, people will need to be attracted here to fill the gap. Why would people come to our outlying communities to support you and me when this area ironically is also found to be a leader where a person working fulltime is not being paid a wage that allows them to be above the poverty line.

This has nothing to do with people working harder and raising themselves out of poverty like you did. It has to do with a worker who can choose to go to another town and get a better paying job, affordable housing, and transportation options so they will not choose to come to this general area.

The purpose of the post is that the laws of supply and demand do not seem to be working for us in our local employment sector. We have a unique demographics that no other city has. We have high retired population and a low working population. We have tapped our local workforce and though there is good financial resources of the demanders (us), the wages are not adequate to provide the supply (employees).

This is not necessarily the fault of the business owner. The main expenses of a business is cost of goods sold, rent, and labor. IMO, I think high rent forces the businesses to hold wages down in order to keep their doors open.

We all should be concerned that if wages are not adjusted, stores and restaurants will close, services will go unfulfilled, work quality will continue to decline. All due to labor demands that cannot be met. This in turn will increase our costs for services that provide quality work because demand will allow them, increased wait times at restaurants or to have a job done at your home, and could force us to go to Orlando, Ocala, or the Internet to shop.
Old 10-16-2019, 05:36 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

The high rent issue is more of an urban legend in TV.
Compare the $ per square foot rates of shopping centers, malls and the like in the surrounding area.
Old 10-16-2019, 06:59 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomp679 View Post
As the OP, the reference to 'people moving here' is in regards to why would someone move to the local surrounding communities to work not to move to the Villages itself to retire. For the same reason anyone moves to Florida....the weather is warmer year around for one, the nearby beaches, the atmosphere and HOUSING is relatively inexpensive in the surrounding areas. Google homes under 100K and rent for $500.

With a low unemployment rate within the local workforce, people will need to be attracted here to fill the gap. Why would people come to our outlying communities to support you and me when this area ironically is also found to be a leader where a person working fulltime is not being paid a wage that allows them to be above the poverty line. For the same reason people anywhere choose jobs with low income. Not everyone has skills to be a CEO or an M.D.

This has nothing to do with people working harder and raising themselves out of poverty like you did. It has to do with a worker who can choose to go to another town and get a better paying job, affordable housing, and transportation options so they will not choose to come to this general area. We do not have any shortage at this time, other than the seasonal demand.

The purpose of the post is that the laws of supply and demand do not seem to be working for us in our local employment sector. We have a unique demographics that no other city has. We have high retired population and a low working population. We have tapped our local workforce and though there is good financial resources of the demanders (us), the wages are not adequate to provide the supply (employees).Again I say, where do you see lack of workers here, there is an uptick for workers now during the high season, the same in all areas of Florida at this time.

This is not necessarily the fault of the business owner. The main expenses of a business is cost of goods sold, rent, and labor. IMO, I think high rent forces the businesses to hold wages down in order to keep their doors open. The higher rent in the squares is echoed throughout Florida in all tourist areas. The businesses are not forced to rent there.

We all should be concerned that if wages are not adjusted, stores and restaurants will close, services will go unfulfilled, work quality will continue to decline. All due to labor demands that cannot be met. This in turn will increase our costs for services that provide quality work because demand will allow them, increased wait times at restaurants or to have a job done at your home, and could force us to go to Orlando, Ocala, or the Internet to shop.
I think your concern is misplaced. Services have not been unfulfilled. Work quality has not declined. Everyone is using the internet to shop.

Last edited by graciegirl; 10-16-2019 at 07:34 AM.
Old 10-16-2019, 07:06 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
Compare the $ per square foot rates of shopping centers, malls and the like in the surrounding area.
Shopping centers and malls tend to serve a demographic that is year round. That is not the case in The Villages.
Old 10-16-2019, 07:35 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
The "Developer" is not ignorant of the economic process for owning, managing, and profiting from real estate. If they(it, him) could earn more with a different model (rent, terms etc) they would no doubt adopt them. Retail business is hard. Markets change on a dime . Restaurants fail at incredible rates , everywhere. Most new entrepreneurs are under capitalized and under cashed and therefore cannot weather any blips. Very few posters here have any understanding of the basics of running a business.
The "Developer" does.

Disclaimer:Am not related to "Developer" don't work for developer, never met the "Developer" don't hold any public office in TV. Have run several successful and a few unsuccessful businesses .
Old 10-16-2019, 07:56 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Quote:
...We all should be concerned that if wages are not adjusted, stores and restaurants will close, services will go unfulfilled, work quality will continue to decline. All due to labor demands that cannot be met. This in turn will increase our costs for services that provide quality work because demand will allow them, increased wait times at restaurants or to have a job done at your home, and could force us to go to Orlando, Ocala, or the Internet to shop.
You don't offer any solutions, only problems. I don't see a problem. You don't need a college degree to work in retail or at Burger King. I've lived in Florida off and on since 1959, and Florida has no shortage of unskilled people. You build it, they will come. You can put a Walmart or a McDonalds in Timbuktu, and there will be a line of people applying for jobs. When that day does come that you worry so much about, they'll raise the price of a Big Mac to $10. In the meantime, worry about more important things like, getting a teetime.
Old 10-16-2019, 08:22 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
...You build it, they will come...
Pretty well sums things up.
Old 10-16-2019, 09:18 AM

It is interesting how the dominant users of TOTV club turn everything as an attack on the Villages. Then again, thats why I titled the post. You can put your head back in the sand since the future will not impact you, just move on to the next topic concerning dogs pooping in your yard.
Old 10-16-2019, 09:24 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to eweissenbach

Quote:
Originally Posted by eweissenbach View Post
Quote:
It is interesting how the dominant users of TOTV club turn everything as an attack on the Villages. Then again, thats why I titled the post. You can put your head back in the sand since the future will not impact you, just move on to the next topic concerning dogs pooping in your yard.
Well, I don't know if I am considered a "dominant user" or if my post was considered a defense of an attack on the villages, but I did not see the study as an "attack on the villages", but simply one that did not accurately reflect the reality.

Tags
pay, disparity, message, concern, economic

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.