Something New and Different I Saw Last Night...Golf Car Strategy

Old 04-21-2024, 08:14 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,965 Times in 2,472 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill14564 View Post
LSVs ARE allowed on the MMPs as has been stated many times. There is a document linked from districtgov.org that specifically states this but I'm not interested in finding it again.

Still looking for the Florida statute that speaks to diamond lanes.
Might be wildwood city ordinance?
Old 04-21-2024, 08:16 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,800 Times in 1,258 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazjaz View Post
I have sent an email to The Villages and Sumter County Sherriffs office about the “no carts past this point” missing on both Richmond and St. John’s sides of the roundabout and if they were permitting carts to go back and forth through the roundabout…never received a reply from either.
Interesting, thanks!
Old 04-21-2024, 08:19 AM
Sage

I would like to know the speed limit on MMP? What I read Florida statues state that only golf cart can NOT exceed 20 MPH. So that means bicycles, unlicensed electric (bikes) scooters, LSV’s can go as fast as they want?
Old 04-21-2024, 08:40 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laker14 View Post
Right about sunset, I was coming home from a friend's house in my golf cart. Traveling south on Canal, approaching the Bonita traffic light, as I approached the exit gate a cart zoomed up from behind me, got right on my tail. I made the right on Bonita, and rather than passing me, he stuck about 5 feet off my back bumper. I kept slowing down so he'd go around me. It took a while but eventually he passed me. No license tag, and he was using the diamond lane.

When we got to the Buena Vista roundabout, rather than taking the mandatory left onto the MMP in order to negotiate BV via the tunnel, he went through the roundabout, very fast, ( there was no traffic at that moment on BV or on the roundabout so he had a clear shot), and like a rocket was gone, down St. Charles.

I was torn between being incensed at his blatant disregard for the rules of the road, and being amazed at his daring and brilliance in shaving a good 45 seconds off of his travel time.

I felt like Mr. Magoo puttering along at my pedestrian 18mph enjoying the beautiful evening air.
Maybe he had an urgent need of a bathroom. That might explain why he was driving like he was full of you know what.
Old 04-21-2024, 09:17 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,418 Times in 2,074 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
Might be wildwood city ordinance?
Maybe, but that would not cover roads north of 44 such as Hillsborough or Pinellas.

I haven't found anything in Florida statutes or Sumter County ordinances though it's certainly possible that I missed something.

Diamond lanes are lanes designated for a particular purpose. Usually (should be always?) they are marked with what that purpose is: HOV lane, bicycle lane, etc. Ours are not marked at all as far as I can tell.

Some might argue that they are clearly for golf carts as most begin or end at an MMP. If I travel along an MMP and reach a road such as Pinellas, the MMP funnels into the diamond lane so clearly that is where the golf carts are intended to remain. Okay, that's fine, but then since LSVs are allowed on the MMPs it would only make sense that they are also allowed in the diamond lanes that the MMPs funnel into.

There might be a law/statute/ordinance/whatever but it is not easy to find and it is not clearly marked on the roadway.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 04-21-2024, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyp View Post
Either way he broke the law. If his cart is street legal he broke the law by being in the cart lane on a public street. If his cart is not street legal he broke the law by driving on B Vista not in a cart lane and in the traffic circle.
You are incorrect. Street legal vehicles can legally drive in the cart lane. They just have to adhere to 20 mph speed limit.
Old 04-21-2024, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
I would like to know the speed limit on MMP? What I read Florida statues state that only golf cart can NOT exceed 20 MPH. So that means bicycles, unlicensed electric (bikes) scooters, LSV’s can go as fast as they want?
Every state has different laws about e bikes and how fast to go. Mine CAN go to 60 but if a cop sees that I'm getting a ticket.
Old 04-21-2024, 10:15 AM
Veteran member

My electric golf cart is limited to a top speed of 22mph, which (I know) is 2mph over the legal speed limit for a unregistered motor vehicle. There is no reason to pass me. Yet, it happens every day, usually by jacked up gas Yamahas. I would love to see more of these required to pay the Judge a visit in Bushnell.
Old 04-21-2024, 11:20 AM

I saw something different this week also. A lady was driving a golf cart in Brownwood. In the golf bag well in the back was a 5 year old sitting with her legs dangling over the bumper.
Real nice.
Old 04-21-2024, 11:28 AM
Default ?

Probably just a tourist i have seen a few driving down the middle of buena vista happy as a lark
Old 04-21-2024, 11:55 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,716 Times in 1,519 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decadeofdave View Post
I saw something different this week also. A lady was driving a golf cart in Brownwood. In the golf bag well in the back was a 5 year old sitting with her legs dangling over the bumper.
Real nice.
Child endangerment, pure and simple. That mom or grandma needs a timeout behind bars to contemplate the stupidity of her actions.
Old 04-21-2024, 12:02 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,716 Times in 1,519 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidWestIA View Post
Probably just a tourist i have seen a few driving down the middle of buena vista happy as a lark
Tourists are often just ignorant. As opposed to the stupidity and narcissism regularly shone by residents.
Old 04-21-2024, 05:20 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by HospitalCoder View Post
You are incorrect. Street legal vehicles can legally drive in the cart lane. They just have to adhere to 20 mph speed limit.

Not according to news report he referenced.
Old 04-21-2024, 07:52 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehonour View Post
Concur. And this is also true for the MMPs. They're private property, owned by the CDDs, so TV can make the rules. Their own rules say

"The multi-modal paths are for use by NON-AUTOMOTIVE traffic such as bicycles, golf carts, pedestrians, and skaters. It is not legal…nor is it smart…to drive vehicles such as smart cars, motorcycles, or mopeds on any of the multi-modal paths in The Villages."

An LSV is a vehicle by definition. It may look like a golf cart, but it isn't. If you choose to make your golf cart "street legal" by speeding it up, adding a new windshield and wipers, seat belts, and the other required devices, then it's no longer eligible to go on the MMP or in the diamond lanes. But of course, then you can legally go through the 20mph roundabout...
TV rules don't trump state statutes on public roads. Please cite the statute that says you can't drive an lsv on the cart lane on public streets.
Old 04-21-2024, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhood View Post
TV rules don't trump state statutes on public roads. Please cite the statute that says you can't drive an lsv on the cart lane on public streets.
Local jurisdictions usually have the power to either comply with state laws or may pass stricker laws if they deem necessary for public safety. They just can’t make any local ordinance less restrictive than state laws…so yes they can and will trump state laws in many instances if they deem appropriate.

Tags
roundabout, traffic, bonita, cart, golf

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.