South of 44

Closed Thread
Old 08-19-2023, 05:09 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to eweissenbach
Default South of 44

I am sure there are many people who love their home south of hwy 44. There are more and more amenities available in those areas and some, if not most, of the area is quite beautiful. I have been coming to TV since 2010 and have owned a Villa in Sanibel from 2018-2021 and a designer home in LaBelle North since then. Who knows how long we will continue to be snowflakes, spending Five months in TV and seven months in Kansas City, but for now that works well for us. The point of this post is that, as far as I’m concerned, south of 44 doesn’t exist. I see no reason to go down there, not that there aren’t good things there, but because everything I need or want exists above hwy 44. I am certainly not bashing that area, I realize there are great reasons that people choose to live there and many, if not most, love it. I think I represent a lot of people who would never consider moving south of 44, not out of a dislike or hate for that area, but just because we find nothing about that area that offers anything that appeals to us that we can’t access north. Please know, I’m not a hater of the new areas, just someone who is very fond of the areas north and with zero interest in the areas south. I presume there are some who feel the same as us, just as I am sure there are others who strongly disagree. Let’s hear it.
Old 08-19-2023, 05:27 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,427 Times in 2,269 Posts

Exactly what is the purpose of this thread? Saturday night trolling? You’ve been around long enough to know it’ll probably turn into a bash the south fest. I’m glad you’re happy where you’re at. I’m guessing most people are happy where they’re at. They just don’t see the need to post about how they like it more than another specific area.

We've Got Plenty Of Youth.. What We Need Is a Fountain Of SMART!
Old 08-19-2023, 05:31 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,377 Times in 500 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eweissenbach View Post
I am sure there are many people who love their home south of hwy 44. There are more and more amenities available in those areas and some, if not most, of the area is quite beautiful. I have been coming to TV since 2010 and have owned a Villa in Sanibel from 2018-2021 and a designer home in LaBelle North since then. Who knows how long we will continue to be snowflakes, spending Five months in TV and seven months in Kansas City, but for now that works well for us. The point of this post is that, as far as I’m concerned, south of 44 doesn’t exist. I see no reason to go down there, not that there aren’t good things there, but because everything I need or want exists above hwy 44. I am certainly not bashing that area, I realize there are great reasons that people choose to live there and many, if not most, love it. I think I represent a lot of people who would never consider moving south of 44, not out of a dislike or hate for that area, but just because we find nothing about that area that offers anything that appeals to us that we can’t access north. Please know, I’m not a hater of the new areas, just someone who is very fond of the areas north and with zero interest in the areas south. I presume there are some who feel the same as us, just as I am sure there are others who strongly disagree. Let’s hear it.
Why?
Old 08-19-2023, 05:54 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,142 Times in 301 Posts

Quote:
You must not feel secure where you live now. Why trash other's living choice? I sure don't care. In 2 or 3 years the south of 44 will be where it is at.
Old 08-19-2023, 06:19 PM
Veteran member

I
Quote:
I have been here since the Villages was only the historic section and Spanish Springs. Not going to lie, I miss those days. Very few people knew of the Villages and it was quaint and private. And, extremely inexpensive!

Along came Legacy and Mulberry area, and we thought our world was ending. We now had to share our "private oasis" with thousands more people. We made that adjustment and happily coexisted.

Wake up one morning, read the Daily Sun and WHAAAAAT? The family is going to build another community on the other side of 466! It was a hard pill to swallow, but we knew nothing could be done. The rest is history. Smile and make the best of it. Development happens!

Like you, I am not interested in the southern area. To me, it is just more of the developer's "same ol" planning and design. But, I am happy for those who have found their little piece of heaven. Welcome everyone and enjoy! Pretty soon, you too, will be complaining about the continual growth like the 8000 homes planned south of your present south. It doesn't seem there will ever be an end.

Last edited by margaretmattson; 08-19-2023 at 06:47 PM.
Old 08-19-2023, 06:22 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,052 Times in 5,337 Posts

We like being further north but do not understand your point.
Old 08-19-2023, 06:40 PM
Veteran member

A lot of people from north of 44 seem to be enjoying the over 28 miles of walking/biking trails we have down here (with more to come) since you have none north of 44.
Old 08-19-2023, 06:55 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kansasr View Post
A lot of people from north of 44 seem to be enjoying the over 28 miles of walking/biking trails we have down here (with more to come) since you have none north of 44.
Why point out one thing? What about the squares you visit because there are none (yet) in your area? Or the restaurants? Face it, there isn't any area that has everything. Share, enjoy, and be GLAD we have so many amenities to choose from. Isn't that why most of us came here? So many options!
Old 08-19-2023, 07:18 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,088 Times in 2,749 Posts

Quote:
We are also seasoned Villagers, owning since 2015 and visiting several times during the ten year period before that. When we bought, Brownwood was a ghost town, they were still cranking out homes north of 44, Belle Glade recently opened, and there was no Village’s south of Brownwood. I mostly agree with the above, except for the part about the area south of 44 not existing as far as we are concerned. It definitely exists, and it has effected us in both positive and negative ways. The negatives are minimal, but real for this long time northern Villager. They include the fact that there are many more homes competing for the not enough service providers in the area. Examples include our long time irrigation guy is booking over a year out and not taking new customers and swimming pool service companies that simply can’t find enough good technicians. That didn’t used to be a problem many years ago. Then there was the 25% property tax increase necessitated by the infrastructure expenses required for the newer areas. Also, the number of both Championship and Executive golf holes per rooftop has been seriously diluted since we purchased our home, diminishing the overall golfing experience. And forget about taking the Village’s Airport Van if you live in the northern parts of the Villages. Spanish Springs lost the Farmers Market to Brownwood and I can’t remember the last time the Hooligans played in SS, yet they still occasionally have a Brownwood gig. None of these negatives are the fault of residents south of 44, but they are real nonetheless. One the flip side, the positives are real as well. We very much enjoy the bike/walking trails that don’t allow golf carts, which aren’t available north of 44. Edna’s on the green is a gem, decent food in a beautiful outside setting while enjoying live entertainment in a great attraction. Last winter I made a point to swim laps at every sports pool in the Villages and play every Championship golf course. To accomplish that objective I had great days venturing to the new areas via golf cart. Played Grey Fox, swam the Fenney sports pool, then ate at the Fenney Grill. Swam at Everglades sports pool, played Lowlands, then ate at Edna’s. Swam at the Ezell sports pool, played Southern Oaks, then ate at Sawgrass (didn’t particularly like that place). Without the new area, none of those fun and memorable days would have been possible!

If we had just discovered the Villages today and bought a home in the new area, I’m sure we would love it. However, knowing the Village’s as well as we do, if we were buying a home now, we would still buy in the northern area. For us, the abundance of both Championship and real Executive (not pitch and put and putting courses), sports pools, and easy and close golf cart accessibility to multiple town squares, dining, shopping, and entertainment (The Sharon, Savannah Center, and The Tierra Del Sol Theatre) would take precedence over the attractive features of the newer areas. I know the newer areas will eventually have most of that, but at our age I’m not willing to wait for whenever eventually is. Lastly, I am very concerned about the reports I am hearing about the amount of short term rentals in the newer areas. That could be a total game changer in a very bad way. Here is hoping all Villagers, regardless of where they own a home, are having a great day in paradise : )
Old 08-19-2023, 07:19 PM

I am not sure of the reason for your post but I am glad that you enjoy being North of 44. We live South of 44 and enjoy it down here. We are excited about all the new things happening down here. You can tell we haven’t live here long enough to bash anything North of 44 and I hope that time never comes. We live in THE VILLAGES and enjoy the entire experience. If you don’t feel the need to come South of 44 that is great. That mean more seating at Saw Grass Grove and more seating available at the events that we support at the high school in Middleton. I really hope when Eastport is complete you feel the need to continue to stay North of 44 that will free up a parking space wether it be golf cart or motor vehicle for someone who will enjoy it. I have a wonderful idea for you but being the sensible person I am I shall not mention for you to just sell you home here and stay in Kansas City as we all live in THE VILLAGES and don’t need people posting ridiculous things to just stir up some controversy especially when you are a SNOW FLAKE. Your words not mine.
Old 08-19-2023, 07:27 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,279 Times in 4,297 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe V. View Post
You must not feel secure where you live now. Why trash other's living choice? I sure don't care. In 2 or 3 years the south of 44 will be where it is at.
You even quoted his post which stated he WASN'T trashing the area...

You must not feel secure where you live...

That said, I feel the same way about someone of the areas waaay north.
I'm above 44 and below 466A.

Once in a blue moon, we venture to the frozen tundra of the areas north of 466 , but we spent most of our time between LSL and Brownwood. But we do play golf at some of the courses north of 466A and at Southern Oaks and some of the Exec courses around Marsh Bend... And I'm looking forward to the new courses across the new turnpike bridge...

I think most people spend most of their time within a few miles of their homes. Perfectly normal...

-Tom Petty
Old 08-19-2023, 07:31 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,200 Times in 327 Posts

[QUOTE=Kenswing;2247606]Exactly what is the purpose of this thread? Saturday night trolling?

Wow!!!! I read the OP’s posting and THIS is exactly what was in my head. The tirade post is simply garbage. Can’t we all just get along and support other’s views and wants and needs.

Some people are just irritating and want to stir things up. I for one will now be blocking this OP. Shame!
Old 08-19-2023, 07:46 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,279 Times in 4,297 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rheimer View Post
I am not sure of the reason for your post but I am glad that you enjoy being North of 44. We live South of 44 and enjoy it down here. We are excited about all the new things happening down here. You can tell we haven’t live here long enough to bash anything North of 44 and I hope that time never comes. We live in THE VILLAGES and enjoy the entire experience. If you don’t feel the need to come South of 44 that is great. That mean more seating at Saw Grass Grove and more seating available at the events that we support at the high school in Middleton. I really hope when Eastport is complete you feel the need to continue to stay North of 44 that will free up a parking space wether it be golf cart or motor vehicle for someone who will enjoy it. I have a wonderful idea for you but being the sensible person I am I shall not mention for you to just sell you home here and stay in Kansas City as we all live in THE VILLAGES and don’t need people posting ridiculous things to just stir up some controversy especially when you are a SNOW FLAKE. Your words not mine.
Do you know what a Villages SNOW FLAKE is? Not the "political definition"...

It's someone, who's not yet a Frog, but not a "Snow Bird either. Someone who comes and goes as their schedule allows...

And I agree with the OP. Nothing wrong with the areas south of St Catherines, but I have no reason to go down there. Does it mean I'm "bashing" that area? How could you come to that conclusion? Why should I drive there if there nothing there for me? A dog park? I have one close to me, off Moyer Loop. A pitch & putt? I rarely play them, and if I did, I'd go to the one by Edna's. Closer, and I can have lunch afterwards...

And you support the HS in Middleton? You mean the one that just opened last week? The one that hasn't had a single event for you to "support"?

When Middleton opens, I'll check it out. If we like it, we'll add it to the rotation of places we visit. If not, we won't. Isn't that easy?

Just like Spanish Springs. We go up the for shows at The Sharon and an occasional dinner. There's one or two stores there we like but it's a shlep to take the cart there on a regular basis. LSL and Brownwood serve our needs quite nicely... I would think that those down by you rarely go up to Spanish Springs, due to the distance. Does that mean you're "bashing" the area?

I've been over the bridge that crosses 441 ONCE. It was on a sight seeing ride, a couple of years back, when we first moved in to our home. I doubt I'll ever do it again. Not bashing the area. It's just that I have no reason to go there. Why does this always turn into a "my area is better than your area" battle?

-Tom Petty
Old 08-19-2023, 07:49 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,682 Times in 632 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kansasr View Post
We live north of 44 and often come down south to enjoy your walking/biking trails, your pitch and putt golf courses, your resort pools, and the music at Edna's. We are looking forward to seeing what will be built at Eastport.

Too bad that Sawgrass is such a crummy place. I guess you can't win 'em all.
Old 08-19-2023, 07:51 PM
Sage
Thanked 12,913 Times in 4,142 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMintzer View Post
Do you know what a Villages SNOW FLAKE is? Not the "political definition"...

It's someone, who's not yet a Frog, but not a "Snow Bird either. Someone who comes and goes as their schedule allows...

And I agree with the OP. Nothing wrong with the areas south of St Catherines, but I have no reason to go down there. Does it mean I'm "bashing" that area? How could you come to that conclusion? Why should I drive there if there nothing there for me? A dog park? I have one close to me, off Moyer Loop. A pitch & putt? I rarely play them, and if I did, I'd go to the one by Edna's. Closer, and I can have lunch afterwards...

And you support the HS in Middleton? You mean the one that just opened last week? The one that hasn't had a single event for you to "support"?

When Middleton opens, I'll check it out. If we like it, we'll add it to the rotation of places we visit. If not, we won't. Isn't that easy?

Just like Spanish Springs. We go up the for shows at The Sharon and an occasional dinner. There's one or two stores there we like but it's a shlep to take the cart there on a regular basis. LSL and Brownwood serve our needs quite nicely... I would think that those down by you rarely go up to Spanish Springs, due to the distance. Does that mean you're "bashing" the area?

I've been over the bridge that crosses 441 ONCE. It was on a sight seeing ride, a couple of years back, when we first moved in to our home. I doubt I'll ever do it again. Not bashing the area. It's just that I have no reason to go there. Why does this always turn into a "my area is better than your area" battle?
You already know the answer-----tribalism.

But you should cross 441 again and play Orange Blossom Hills at least once---not the typical Villages course.
Closed Thread

Tags
south, area, areas, north, people

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.