Blocking Summer Sun at Windows

Closed Thread
Old 03-31-2017, 11:09 AM
Default Blocking Summer Sun at Windows

I have a heated and cooled Florida room and the entire east wall is windows. I open the Venetian blinds in the cool months, and close them in warm months, but even when closed a lot of heat comes in.
I am considering installing something outside to block or reflect the sun, but only in the warm months.
Options seem to be folding awnings, shutters, or exterior roller shades. Are there any other options?
If you have used one method, how has the cost/benefit and overall satisfaction worked out? Did you install it yourself?
Old 03-31-2017, 11:34 AM
Eternal Member

I, also, have an East facing Florida room. I do not have Venetian blinds but have roll down shades from Cooleroo. They work good at keeping the heat out.

I have no idea of cost as they were in the house when I bought it.

I believe you might have to call ARC to see if the folding outdoor awnings would be permitted.
Old 03-31-2017, 12:36 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maybe View Post
I have a heated and cooled Florida room and the entire east wall is windows. I open the Venetian blinds in the cool months, and close them in warm months, but even when closed a lot of heat comes in.
I am considering installing something outside to block or reflect the sun, but only in the warm months.
Options seem to be folding awnings, shutters, or exterior roller shades. Are there any other options?
If you have used one method, how has the cost/benefit and overall satisfaction worked out? Did you install it yourself?
I had virtually the same problem...solved it with an Awning.

Now I did get three estimates and decided that AwnAir was the best both in price and reputation.

Here is the contact information: 352-347-7240 they are located in Belleview.

We went with the Remote Control and a Wind Sensor...Worth the extra cost..piece of mind and convenience.
Old 03-31-2017, 02:03 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandtrap328 View Post
I, also, have an East facing Florida room. I do not have Venetian blinds but have roll down shades from Cooleroo. They work good at keeping the heat out.

I have no idea of cost as they were in the house when I bought it.

I believe you might have to call ARC to see if the folding outdoor awnings would be permitted.
Since awnings save energy as do clothes lines, the ARC cannot deny installation. I wouldn't even ask for their "permission". Just do it. Same goes for outdoor antennas, satellite dishes etc.
Old 03-31-2017, 02:37 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

We have exactly the same set up and, therefore, the same problem with the summer sun.

We opted for a heavy duty canvas blind. It works very well, the room immediately cools down .............. however, I have to go out to roll it down and clip it safely to the exterior wall and I have to go out and roll it up when the sun sinks. So far that is the only downside. I really cannot remember what it cost because we had it done 9 or 10 yrs ago and it still looks brand new. We had ours made at Market of Marion, but the original seller has since gone south and I know nothing about the person there now.

I have neighbors who have large awnings and I like the way they can be lowered and raised from inside the home, but they are very expensive and probably well worth the investment.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 03-31-2017, 07:25 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,382 Times in 2,325 Posts

I hate to disagree, but awnings are probably considered an 'outside' modification to the house, and probably need approval, I would call just to be sure. I have neighbors that installed one, but I never asked if they needed approval. I would tend to be safe than sorry.
Old 03-31-2017, 08:29 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,365 Times in 744 Posts

Have you considered window film? You don't mention the age of your home, but an older home likely won't have low e glass which really helps. You tube and Amazon have window film covered. Hey, if I can do it, you can!
Old 03-31-2017, 09:21 PM
Platinum member

I found insulated grommet sheer curtains on the web and my husband installed the rods with a concrete drill bit. That way I got color without using the insulated, foam back curtains that are heavy and just pull them across rods when we need them.
It really cut the temp down. This was after we enclosed the lanai with lightly tinted windows but with the heavier sun block screen across our west facing wall. The grommet curtains were very reasonably priced on the web, rods from Home Depot.
Old 04-01-2017, 10:17 AM

Thanks to all. I had ruled out film because that is not easily removable every winter when I want the sun. But with the warm winter we had, maybe I should consider it. I only used the heat for about 4 days total. It is really unfortunate that there is not a clear consensus on when we need approval for some exterior items.
Old 04-01-2017, 06:48 PM

screen panels on the outside would allow you to kill about 50% of the sun and remove them when you wanted.
Old 04-01-2017, 07:19 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maybe View Post
Here is additional info: I did not need ARC approval, the Awnings are located on the side and rear. Check with whomever you choose should you go with Awnings.

It is amazing how much they have made a difference plus they are attractive.
Old 06-25-2017, 02:51 PM

Hi, Read your post regarding window covering. I'm thinking to do the same. May I ask who was the vendor for screen panels?
Old 06-25-2017, 04:12 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,542 Times in 1,926 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Has anyone used awnings inside a bird cage to block sun from West facing lanai?

If so...PLEASE post picture and give info.
Old 06-25-2017, 04:25 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Has anyone used awnings inside a bird cage to block sun from West facing lanai?

If so...PLEASE post picture and give info.
My next door neighbor extended his lanai to a full sized room but it is still screen, not finished, it faces towards the west and the afternoon sun is brutal making the room unlivable. He had a company install a huge canvas blind, inside the lanai, which is motorized and he hates it. It cost well over $5,000 to install and I have seen people on the lanai twice. It seems that if you have the afternoon sun it just does not matter what you do you cannot cool the area.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 06-25-2017, 05:33 PM

We put up an awning and have 3M film on the inside and outside all of our windows; problem solved.
Closed Thread

Tags
months, warm, options, windows, sun

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.