Southbound Golf Cart Path at Traffic Light at Colony

Closed Thread
Old 01-08-2022, 01:32 PM

I was on the MMP and have a few questions as I'm brutally new here.

Why are some carts lifted? (is it a look? or did that person get a new hip that requires them to have longer steps/strides?) I was passed on the paths this week by a moped and a dirtbike. (the dirtbike driver was holding a baby) - does anyone police the trails for odd vehicles?

Do clubcars just sound loud or do they also act as a lawn mower also?

I see several blue handicap decals on golf carts and several of these same folks are golfing- what am I missing?

Sorry in advance for the questions my wife and I live here now full time at 78 I thought I had all the answers.

Best to all- Happy New Gear!
Old 01-08-2022, 02:15 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsachs View Post
Might have been street legal
I'm not positive but I think "street legal" golf carts are not allowed on County roads.
Old 01-08-2022, 03:25 PM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill14564 View Post
One could also argue that you should not enter an intersection until you can proceed. If that rule is followed then it doesn't matter whether the left-turning cart is behind the line or has moved forward, your lane is still blocked so you should not proceed into the intersection.

I suspect the law doesn't provide for the cart that is second in line to change lanes and chart its own course around any obstacles in its way. The second in line should move straight through the intersection when it is clear which it would not be if the cart ahead was still waiting to turn.

NOTE: I'm not arguing against reality. I'm not arguing that the left-turning cart shouldn't move up so that carts can go around; I realize this is going to happen and I will be doing it myself. I just pointing out that using "the law says" as a mantra can sometimes lead to unexpected and undesirable situations.
One could argue it, but......they'd be wrong, so I'll repeat from the Florida DMV:

"Is it legal to pull into the intersection when turning left?
If you're turning left on a Green Light, then Yes, you should pull into the intersection when you're yielding to oncoming traffic and/or pedestrians."
Old 01-08-2022, 03:42 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,389 Times in 2,067 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
One could argue it, but......they'd be wrong, so I'll repeat from the Florida DMV:

"Is it legal to pull into the intersection when turning left?
If you're turning left on a Green Light, then Yes, you should pull into the intersection when you're yielding to oncoming traffic and/or pedestrians."
Not arguing that - I am leery of the practice but understand that it is allowed.

What I was suggesting was that there is a single lane through the intersection and while the cart is in that lane waiting to turn left, the next cart should not enter the intersection. There is not a left-turn lane occupied by the waiting cart and a straight lane for others, there is only a single lane through that intersection. Sure carts could maneuver out of that single lane to the right, around the waiting cart, then back into the lane to proceed but they are leaving their lane to do so. One could argue that vehicles are not allowed to leave their lane to go around a vehicle stopped in front of them, they should wait for the vehicle to clear the intersection.

Small cars might be physically able to use the diamond lanes to go around a vehicle waiting to turn left into a neighborhood. Why wait if you can just go around? It might be possible but I suspect there is some rule against it. Similarly, carts might physically be able to leave their lane and go around a cart waiting to make a left in that intersection but I would be surprised if there was not a rule against it. (Note: Maryland just recently changed the law to allow a car to use the shoulder to go around a vehicle waiting to make a left turn, prior to that it was illegal)

But again, rule or not, I have gone around the waiting cart in the past and I imagine I won't hesitate in the future.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 01-08-2022, 03:49 PM
Default Wow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dana1963 View Post
What was hindering the carts travel path cars would have been stopped or cart traffic going north.
. Please read your message before sending. Maybe use punctuation too?
Old 01-08-2022, 03:52 PM
Default East

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babber View Post
I just had to wait for three traffic light cycles to head southbound at the Cart path at Colony Rec Center. Why, because two of those lights a single party wanted to turn left (west) to the Colony Plaza and created the backup because traffic heading North was heavy. Solution .... Please- please- please move up, so that traffic continuing south to the tunnel can pass. It is very frustrating to wait when someone can simply move forward and avoid the situation.

I also suggest that a bypass lane for southbound traffic is created so that the traffic jam doesn't occur.

Thank you
A cart turning left from the north is heading east not west. Just sayin’
Old 01-08-2022, 09:23 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,980 Times in 713 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John-US View Post
I was on the MMP and have a few questions as I'm brutally new here.

Why are some carts lifted? (is it a look? or did that person get a new hip that requires them to have longer steps/strides?) I was passed on the paths this week by a moped and a dirtbike. (the dirtbike driver was holding a baby) - does anyone police the trails for odd vehicles?

Do clubcars just sound loud or do they also act as a lawn mower also?

I see several blue handicap decals on golf carts and several of these same folks are golfing- what am I missing?

Sorry in advance for the questions my wife and I live here now full time at 78 I thought I had all the answers.

Best to all- Happy New Gear!
People lift their carts to look cool. When lifted they may not fit in all the tunnels, something to think about.
Club cars just don’t have the technology of newer Yamaha carts
Blue tag allows golfers to drive on fairways etc as they can’t walk from cart paths
I have seen electric bikes but not dirt bikes or mopeds on the paths.
Many think the paths should be patrolled most for carts going over 20mph but it never happens.
Old 01-08-2022, 09:25 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,980 Times in 713 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill14564 View Post
Not arguing that - I am leery of the practice but understand that it is allowed.

What I was suggesting was that there is a single lane through the intersection and while the cart is in that lane waiting to turn left, the next cart should not enter the intersection. There is not a left-turn lane occupied by the waiting cart and a straight lane for others, there is only a single lane through that intersection. Sure carts could maneuver out of that single lane to the right, around the waiting cart, then back into the lane to proceed but they are leaving their lane to do so. One could argue that vehicles are not allowed to leave their lane to go around a vehicle stopped in front of them, they should wait for the vehicle to clear the intersection.

Small cars might be physically able to use the diamond lanes to go around a vehicle waiting to turn left into a neighborhood. Why wait if you can just go around? It might be possible but I suspect there is some rule against it. Similarly, carts might physically be able to leave their lane and go around a cart waiting to make a left in that intersection but I would be surprised if there was not a rule against it. (Note: Maryland just recently changed the law to allow a car to use the shoulder to go around a vehicle waiting to make a left turn, prior to that it was illegal)

But again, rule or not, I have gone around the waiting cart in the past and I imagine I won't hesitate in the future.
If someone is taking a left in a cart or a car and there is space to pass them safely on the right, I am going. Why hold up traffic when there is nothing stopping you from going.
Old 01-09-2022, 06:03 AM
Veteran member

No problems when it is non snow bird season.
Old 01-09-2022, 07:19 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,167 Times in 1,928 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDivine View Post
Last week I saw a cart crossing 466A at the light between Walgreen's and Bob Evans
Going towards Walmart.
Is that legal for a street legal cart?
Old 01-09-2022, 07:57 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,774 Times in 3,642 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmd2 View Post
I'm not positive but I think "street legal" golf carts are not allowed on County roads.
Most roads within TV are county roads.
SL and non-SL carts are allowed on county roads.
Old 01-09-2022, 08:37 AM
Platinum member
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
Is that legal for a street legal cart?
Yep, didn't think about street legal. I know they're legal on Morse and Buena Vista, soooo when they get to 466 or 466A they can legally cross.

Old 01-09-2022, 08:39 AM
Platinum member
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garywt View Post
If someone is taking a left in a cart or a car and there is space to pass them safely on the right, I am going. Why hold up traffic when there is nothing stopping you from going.
It's hard to get around them at that intersection because of the light post there.
Old 01-09-2022, 08:42 AM

No cost solution

Change the rule for the 466a intersection so carts can legally cross at the light.

No different than the rules allowing carts from Stonecrest to cross 441 at traffic light in front of shopping plaza
Old 01-09-2022, 09:49 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,203 Times in 569 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDivine View Post
Last week I saw a cart crossing 466A at the light between Walgreen's and Bob Evans
Going towards Walmart.

See a cart crossing 466 by Arbys coming or going to the gas station every now and then.
Closed Thread

Tags
traffic, southbound, colony, move, please-

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.