Spec home buyers DUE DILIGENCE QUESTION for new buyers

Old 04-25-2024, 06:05 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,919 Times in 921 Posts
Default Spec home buyers DUE DILIGENCE QUESTION for new buyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by thevillager1988 View Post
Here in TV, we don't have electric hook up for our range
Appears to be a shortcut by the developer to sell a cheaper home with less basic options.

If you want to cook with a certain energy source, be sure the house has the correct energy source installed.

Many long term investments highly dependent on interest rates were caught way offsides with the latest round of interest rates, which is really a return back to a normal range. The developer, now being run by consultants as the current generation of owners don't have the same business experience as the founders, are being run with a growth and financial goals solely.. . not for quality any more or customer satisfaction. The first sign was the elimination of the custom built houses, which made this place unique and desirable for owners, just like the IKEA model.

DYDD
Due your Due Diligence
Old 04-25-2024, 07:22 PM

Heard something about gas/electric stoves. An outside Realtor told me that for the houses built around Brownwood, a deal was made with the developer to make all them with electric appliances. That’s why none of them are gas. Does this sound like it could be true?
Old 04-26-2024, 04:24 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,419 Times in 2,533 Posts

If, and when, the Bean Counters take over in any business, quality is always the first thing to suffer.
Then they start staff cuts, usually with the higher paid and most knowledgeable.
Seen it many times over my working life.
Old 04-26-2024, 09:49 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Drayton Plains, MI, Vietnam, Waterford, MI, Pennacamp, Fernandina, Duval, 1 retired in Richmond
Thanked 1,603 Times in 577 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachKandSportsguy View Post
Appears to be a shortcut by the developer to sell a cheaper home with less basic options.

If you want to cook with a certain energy source, be sure the house has the correct energy source installed.

Many long term investments highly dependent on interest rates were caught way offsides with the latest round of interest rates, which is really a return back to a normal range. The developer, now being run by consultants as the current generation of owners don't have the same business experience as the founders, are being run with a growth and financial goals solely.. . not for quality any more or customer satisfaction. The first sign was the elimination of the custom built houses, which made this place unique and desirable for owners, just like the IKEA model.

DYDD
Due your Due Diligence
You have zero control on spec homes, for outlets, where and how many fixtures.In fact you have very little control on build lot homes for many items, especially adding outlets and fixtures. Most is after market
Old 04-26-2024, 09:50 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Drayton Plains, MI, Vietnam, Waterford, MI, Pennacamp, Fernandina, Duval, 1 retired in Richmond
Thanked 1,603 Times in 577 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaw8700@outlook.com View Post
Heard something about gas/electric stoves. An outside Realtor told me that for the houses built around Brownwood, a deal was made with the developer to make all them with electric appliances. That’s why none of them are gas. Does this sound like it could be true?
We are in Richmond and have gas appliances and tankless hot water
Old 04-26-2024, 09:55 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaw8700@outlook.com View Post
I would think that all sorts of suppliers would try to make deals with the Villages Development, & I would think that the Developer takes the best deal they can find for each. I had heard that it was a matter of gas pipeline infrastructure availability, & with the speed that the Developer puts up houses, I would go with that one. Not that gas couldn't be piped in, but that it couldn't be piped in as quickly as the Develper desired. There is gas in houses both north & south, so I wouldn't say there was much of a preference on the Developer's part.
Old 04-26-2024, 10:40 AM
Sage
Thanked 6,186 Times in 2,265 Posts

I live in the Brownwood area, and there are NO gas lines to the houses, I am GUESSING the local gas company was not interested in the expense of installing all the infrastructure. I have neighbors that went the propane route and had large tanks installed underground.
Old 04-26-2024, 11:07 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
I live in the Brownwood area, and there are NO gas lines to the houses, I am GUESSING the local gas company was not interested in the expense of installing all the infrastructure. I have neighbors that went the propane route and had large tanks installed underground.
Same north of 466a. All electric in Hemingway.
Old 04-26-2024, 07:24 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,919 Times in 921 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelegges View Post
You have zero control on spec homes, for outlets, where and how many fixtures.In fact you have very little control on build lot homes for many items, especially adding outlets and fixtures. Most is after market
exactly my point, although I didn't elaborate, it was implied with the virtual elimination of the custom builds. So the spec houses can have less and less options if the developer wants to keep houses at a certain price point while costs are rising. and if you want a certain type, decide whether you want it in the build or be willing to install it yourself.

Marsh bend has both electric and gas, we chose electric and had the gas for hot water and a pipe for a gas grille next to the lanai

good luck
Old 04-26-2024, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty_Star View Post
I would think that all sorts of suppliers would try to make deals with the Villages Development, & I would think that the Developer takes the best deal they can find for each. I had heard that it was a matter of gas pipeline infrastructure availability, & with the speed that the Developer puts up houses, I would go with that one. Not that gas couldn't be piped in, but that it couldn't be piped in as quickly as the Develper desired. There is gas in houses both north & south, so I wouldn't say there was much of a preference on the Developer's part.
That’s the one thing that makes me not want buy there.
Old 04-26-2024, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
Isn’t that expensive?
Old 04-27-2024, 05:08 AM
Veteran member

I’m surprised anyone would choose electric. I hate cooking on it. But apart from that my bias probably comes from being a Massachusetts resident where electric heat would be cost prohibitive.
Old 04-27-2024, 07:16 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frayedends View Post
I’m surprised anyone would choose electric. I hate cooking on it. But apart from that my bias probably comes from being a Massachusetts resident where electric heat would be cost prohibitive.
& I'm the opposite. Given a choice I would chose electric for cooking. It may be a matter of what I am used to, I know how to use it, & the reasons often cited for gas superiority are reduced if not eliminated with the right user. I have had gas for cooking & currently do have a gas grill. I can use both.
Old 04-27-2024, 07:50 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,113 Times in 2,762 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by frayedends View Post
Unlike Massachusetts, where so called green energy sources are jammed down ratepayers throats, electricity is refreshingly affordable in The Villages. Trust me, I know, we own a home in each location.
Old 04-27-2024, 08:01 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,542 Times in 3,117 Posts

I was a boarder in a house up north for a year after college. An old 1800's Victorian with stained glass windows and circular staircase. They had a tiny kitchen with a potbellied wood stove they used for heat in the winter. The chimney for the thing went up between each bedroom, keeping the whole house warm. But we cooked on the stove too. When we weren't using it to cook, we kept a pan of water with eucalyptus leaves in it.

On super-cold nights they would sometimes also put wood in the walk-in fireplace in the living room. Super-toasty. They had a half-cord of wood delivered every year. They had an oil tank for central heat but they kept it off most of the time.

Tags
due, owners, energy, developer, interest

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.