Spectrum free internet

Closed Thread
Old 06-01-2023, 05:41 AM
Default Spectrum free internet

I very lovely young man came to the door yesterday from Spectrum...said I qualify for free internet...cable would be $90.00 and 2 phones would be $60.00...it is less then I am paying but has anyone bought into this deal...pros and cons please...thank you in advance

Last edited by My Daily Run; 06-01-2023 at 05:47 AM. Reason: Duplicate
Old 06-01-2023, 06:31 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,792 Times in 5,286 Posts

Are you sure he was from Spectrum? Did he have the required socilitation permit?
Old 06-01-2023, 12:10 PM

Yes he did and a Spectrum truck
Old 06-01-2023, 12:46 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,342 Times in 606 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Daily Run View Post
I very lovely young man came to the door yesterday from Spectrum...said I qualify for free internet...cable would be $90.00 and 2 phones would be $60.00...it is less then I am paying but has anyone bought into this deal...pros and cons please...thank you in advance
What is cable package? How many channels? Is there a contract? How fast is internet?
Old 06-01-2023, 05:36 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,569 Times in 3,130 Posts

Quote:
How did he know you would qualify for free internet? And - $90 for cable TV is not "free." It's $90/month. Two phones - the phones themselves are just $60? Each? Total? Monthly?

If you told him you ONLY wanted internet service, and no need for cable TV or new phones, would it still have been free? If not, then no - it's not free.
Old 06-01-2023, 07:05 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,097 Times in 376 Posts

Quote:
A quick visit to the Spectrum website will show that they do not offer free internet. A quick call to Spectrum to ask for validation of the offered service and the employees name would clear up the issue.
Old 06-02-2023, 07:11 AM
Veteran member

I have internet only from Xfinity, $35/mo. 100mbs, more than enough for about a half dozen devices.
Old 06-02-2023, 09:11 AM

I received a similar solicitation. It was 1 gig speed for $40 per month for two years, and I could get their cell service free for one line for a year, unlimited data. I have two lines so it would go to $60 for both phones after the year.

That was a somewhat better deal than my current Xfinity deal, which is $55 per month for 400 mb, which is plenty for my needs. However, my two phones are $34 per month with 3 gb shared data, which I rarely exceed. I also like the benefit of numerous Xfinity hot spots and their Peacock Network app, which has a good amount of content, to include live sports. Also, I would need a new modem/router with Spectrum, as I currently own my own, which has paid for itself by now vs renting the Xfinity modem/router.

I told the guy I would need to research, which was the truth. Next thing I know I'm getting emails about my upcoming install date. I call Spectrum and spend about half an hour getting it cancelled. For that reason alone, I declined the service. I'll look into it when my Xfinity contract is up towards the end of the year, but we are getting more options in the south area of the Villages (T-Mobile, fiber optic), so I might get a better deal with one of those.

Bottom line, don't agree to anything, don't give them any info, and do your research before committing.
Old 06-02-2023, 05:23 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,106 Times in 752 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtdjed View Post
A quick visit to the Spectrum website will show that they do not offer free internet. A quick call to Spectrum to ask for validation of the offered service and the employees name would clear up the issue.
Your "quick visit" was apparently too quick.

Spectrum, as well as other Internet providers, offer deals that are consistent with the "Affordable Connectivity Program", which subsidizes Internet costs for millions of people. In Spectrum's case, their basic Internet charge is $29.95/Month and the Program provides $30/month. It's better than free, you make a 1¢ on the deal.
Old 06-02-2023, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianL99 View Post
Your "quick visit" was apparently too quick.

Spectrum, as well as other Internet providers, offer deals that are consistent with the "Affordable Connectivity Program", which subsidizes Internet costs for millions of people. In Spectrum's case, their basic Internet charge is $29.95/Month and the Program provides $30/month. It's better than free, you make a 1¢ on the deal.
The Affordable Connectivity Program has several income eligibility requirements. You need to make less than 200% of the poverty level, be on SNAP, Medicaid, or several other criteria. Google it for full requirements.
Old 06-03-2023, 07:06 AM

Wow...it doesn't sound very good...I didn't change anything I just said I wasn't interested but I was wondering if I missed a good opportunity...thank you
Old 06-03-2023, 07:07 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,803 Times in 3,660 Posts

Quote:
Wow...it doesn't sound very good...I didn't change anything I just said I wasn't interested but I was wondering if I missed a good opportunity...thank you
If there is an opportunity..................it will be online.

Check their website & do a live chat.
Old 06-03-2023, 07:45 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,107 Times in 303 Posts

I get a voice mail every other day from someone named Fred or Mo or Heather (it's different every time), telling me that today is the last day of the special 50% sale on Xfinity, and all I gotta do to save half the price on the same internet service I've already got, is to call this special number and give them my credit card number so they can start my IMMEDIATE savings.

I dunno. Something about that sounds fishy. But they sound so real on the phone! Should I call?

I even got a voice mail last week informing me that I'd just won 5 million dollars in a sweepstakes I never entered! Had to be a mistake. It just didn't feel right to claim all that money on false pretenses, so I never called them back. Was that dumb? Maybe I ought to take my phone off of privacy mode, so that all these great offers quit going straight to voice mail.

It's odd. I never used to get half a dozen offers a week from total strangers wanting to give me money or buy me dinner -- until I moved to a giant community in Florida built just for old people like me. It's amazing how much total strangers suddenly care about me now that I'm old enough to live with all you good folks! It just warms my heart!
Old 06-04-2023, 09:28 AM

I’ve been here over 10 years, spectrum has never solicited to my door.
Closed Thread

Tags
spectrum, internet, free, paying, bought

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.