Speed bumps in Bridgeport CDD 5, not 6

Closed Thread
Old 05-29-2017, 06:09 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,477 Times in 548 Posts
Default Speed bumps in Bridgeport CDD 5, not 6

What a mess! I am embarrassed for the lot of them for belatedly discovering this. The outcome will unlikely be any different, and I am not pro or con on the actual issue of the speed bumps. Not the point of this rant.

Rather, I question the decision-making process that occurs on occasion. Shouldn't there be some type of due diligence?

Another example of this might be the re-seeding of the grass along El Camino last year. The grass looked fine, but someone decided to get rid of the grass and re-seed. Looks awful now (you've seen it, right?) and never really looked right last summer, despite the fact that it was watered regularly. Yes, I know it was hot last summer, but it should have looked better than it turned out. Last I heard from the minutes of the meeting, the Supervisor has discovered that there may only be a 30-day warranty on the job and it's too late to make it right unless we spend big bucks. Again.

If I'm paying for this out of amenity fees, I want to see value for my money, not a Three Stooges re-run.

Last edited by Bjeanj; 05-30-2017 at 02:33 PM.
Old 05-29-2017, 07:55 PM
Veteran member

Seems like its getting to be more like "big government" as time goes on....
speed bumps, closing of 2 "adjoining" sports pools for at least 6 weeks to maybe 3 months at the same time, "no photos in TV" (see another thread) , a million $ plus to save a few trees on "sunset island", etc., etc. Little planning, lots of talk, left doesn't know what the right is doing.
Old 05-29-2017, 08:25 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Yeah, I guess I feel a little bit better now.

Thanks, everyone!
Old 05-29-2017, 09:38 PM

The reseeding along El Camino Real cost around $10,000 and was funded by the non ad valorem taxes paid by residents in CDD2. Since each household pays about $310 per year, the taxes of over 30 households was wasted.

And now more taxes are going to be spent to do the job again.
Old 05-30-2017, 06:24 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,112 Times in 1,344 Posts

I just hope they remove the speed bumps.
Old 05-30-2017, 06:39 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to DonH57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bay Kid View Post
I just hope they remove the speed bumps.
I do too, especially at that location.
Old 05-30-2017, 08:20 AM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,313 Times in 546 Posts

Did somebody get hurt going over a speed bump? This whole issue of the speed bumps reminds me of our church parking lot that became a shortcut for some and the next thing speed bumps appeared because the cars were driving too fast thru the lot. Then they were taken out out and then put in place again again over the course of a couple of years and believe it or not they were taken out again recently. I could see this happening here. Speed bumps are put in for safety reasons. You traverse one slowly and go on your Way. As somebody says "no big deal".
Old 05-30-2017, 09:31 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjeanj View Post
What a cluster****!
Another example of this might be the re-seeding of the grass along El Camino last year. The grass looked fine, but someone decided to get rid of the grass and re-seed. Looks like c**p now (you've seen it, right?) and never really looked right last summer, despite the fact that it was watered regularly.
Killing the grass is part of the process of reseeding it. They are under the process now of discing the area to prepare for new sod. Should look fine by the time the snowbirds arrive.
Old 05-30-2017, 10:03 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ooper View Post
Killing the grass is part of the process of reseeding it. They are under the process now of discing the area to prepare for new sod. Should look fine by the time the snowbirds arrive.
My point is, it looked fine before they killed the grass. This was a year ago when they did that. Then they re-seeded and watered. And it didn't take. Cost us big bucks with no value.
Old 05-30-2017, 12:30 PM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,313 Times in 546 Posts

Strange how easy it is to spend somebody else's money. The government is an expert!
Old 05-31-2017, 07:15 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,112 Times in 1,344 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjim View Post
Did somebody get hurt going over a speed bump? This whole issue of the speed bumps reminds me of our church parking lot that became a shortcut for some and the next thing speed bumps appeared because the cars were driving too fast thru the lot. Then they were taken out out and then put in place again again over the course of a couple of years and believe it or not they were taken out again recently. I could see this happening here. Speed bumps are put in for safety reasons. You traverse one slowly and go on your Way. As somebody says "no big deal".
This area already has a drainage area on each side of the road that is a speed bump in itself. I travel over the 4 bumps many times a week.
Old 05-31-2017, 07:23 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

I hate speed bumps...as they make me slow down!

Old 05-31-2017, 10:36 AM
Veteran member

I'm not sure why that particular gate has speed bumps, while others up and down Buena Vista don't. I cringe watch some of the elderly folks try and softly go over it, only to then bang down on the drainage gutter. It's not good for bones or carts.
Closed Thread

Tags
looked, grass, bumps, summer, speed

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.