Speed limit in the Villages

Closed Thread
Old 07-31-2022, 12:50 PM
Platinum member
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe C. View Post
You can't be given a speeding ticket in Florida unless you are doing in excess of 5 MPH over the posted limit. So the 20MPH is a moot point.
Speed limits are enforceable only if you get caught, and there aren't enough LEO'S to monitor traffic 24/7.
I'm content to do the speed limit or 5 over. But I believe that posted speed limits are designed for the dumbest drivers.
Sorry but you can in a golf cart. Neighbor across the street got one on Stillwater.
And it's a felony...
Old 07-31-2022, 01:38 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,913 Times in 1,531 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashimp View Post
I never did understand the 20mph speed limit sign coming into the Villages from Wildwood on rt 466A, don't see anyone doing 20mph
I have seen many drivers in cars, trucks, and golf cars going about 20 mph in residential neighborhoods with narrow streets and blind curves. I have also seen on the same roads, drivers going 40 to 50 mph. Often they are the trucks of landscapers and lawn mowers.
Old 07-31-2022, 01:40 PM
Veteran member

What’s to understand.
Old 07-31-2022, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashimp View Post
I never did understand the 20mph speed limit sign coming into the Villages from Wildwood on rt 466A, don't see anyone doing 20mph
When we moved to TV 10 years ago a friend who had moved here 3 or 4 years prior gave me some tips on TV speed limits.

If a street has rotaries and a separated multi-modal / cart path (Morse Road and Buena Vista Blvd.) the speed limit is 35-mph dropping to 20-mph through the rotaries. If the street has a painted white stripe denoting a cart lane, the limit is 30-mph. These are normally major streets inside the neighborhood gates. These basic recommendations seem to be reliable, with one exception that comes to mind is Rio Grande. There the limit drops to 25 on the east section where I think you enter Lady Lake/Lake County. This is clearly marked. I am sure there are others. This also seems to explain the 30-mph speed limit on Morse Road north of 466.

Now can someone explain to me why the east/west county roads have a 45-mph limit while the north/south roads are limited to 35-mph. (A pattern or coincidence?) Example is Micro Racetrack to Lake Ella (35mph), Lake Ella East (45 mph) and Micro Racetrack north to 27/441 (35 mph).

He also explained the details of a ticket for exceeding 20-mph in a golf cart. This can happen if your cart is not registered and licensed. The ticket you receive is not for speeding. It is for operating an unlicensed vehicle on a public street. It is my understanding that the ticket is considerably more costly than a speeding ticket. No explanation for if/how the 5-mph margin applies.
Old 08-01-2022, 05:46 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,970 Times in 4,155 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDivine View Post
Sorry but you can in a golf cart. Neighbor across the street got one on Stillwater.
And it's a felony...
The statement/fact/rumor that it is a "felony" has been here longer than I. I'd love to see the actual Florida statute that states this. I find it hard to believe that not only driving a golf cart at 20.1 mph but simply owning one capable of going 20.1 mph (on a public road) ranks up there with robbing a bank or carjacking or assault with a deadly weapon. (Yes, I realize there are different degrees of felonies). Can anyone imagine a "trial" where a judge sentences an 85 year old great grandmother to over 1 year in state prison for driving an "unregistered" golf cart???? She could share a cell with a mass murderer for her "felony"
Old 08-01-2022, 05:54 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,970 Times in 4,155 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
The statement/fact/rumor that it is a "felony" has been here longer than I. I'd love to see the actual Florida statute that states this. I find it hard to believe that not only driving a golf cart at 20.1 mph but simply owning one capable of going 20.1 mph (on a public road) ranks up there with robbing a bank or carjacking or assault with a deadly weapon. (Yes, I realize there are different degrees of felonies). Can anyone imagine a "trial" where a judge sentences an 85 year old great grandmother to over 1 year in state prison for driving an "unregistered" golf cart???? She could share a cell with a mass murderer for her "felony"
Actually, it didn't take long to find the answer (and dispel the "felony" rumor):

According to Florida statute 320.02;

"Penalties for Unregistered Motor Vehicle Charges
Late registration with a fee will help you avoid criminal charges, but if you are cited for driving without a valid registration, the penalties can be severe. Failing to register your vehicle in the state of Florida while you have resided here for over 6 months will result in a misdemeanor charge of the second-degree, punishable by any combination of the following:

Up to sixty (60) days of jail time;
Up to six (6) months of probation or community control; and
Up to five hundred dollars ($500) in fines.
Penalties can vary depending on the length of the lapse in registration."

So much for the "felony" charge and the 8+ year unfounded rumors.
Old 08-01-2022, 08:57 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,876 Times in 950 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjamuser View Post
I have seen many drivers in cars, trucks, and golf cars going about 20 mph in residential neighborhoods with narrow streets and blind curves. I have also seen on the same roads, drivers going 40 to 50 mph. Often they are the trucks of landscapers and lawn mowers.
It is not just in the Villages. The primary control on a car, a bike, a golf cart is your brain. For too many they think it is the gas peddle. The landscapers. How many have a drivers license, insurance? Some of those trailers are way to wide for the streets. Seems they would should
require special insurance etc for a WIDE LOAD.
Old 08-01-2022, 11:04 PM
Default County Road speed limits East/ West vs North/South

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandjonfmk View Post
When we moved to TV 10 years ago a friend who had moved here 3 or 4 years prior gave me some tips on TV speed limits.

If a street has rotaries and a separated multi-modal / cart path (Morse Road and Buena Vista Blvd.) the speed limit is 35-mph dropping to 20-mph through the rotaries. If the street has a painted white stripe denoting a cart lane, the limit is 30-mph. These are normally major streets inside the neighborhood gates. These basic recommendations seem to be reliable, with one exception that comes to mind is Rio Grande. There the limit drops to 25 on the east section where I think you enter Lady Lake/Lake County. This is clearly marked. I am sure there are others. This also seems to explain the 30-mph speed limit on Morse Road north of 466.

Now can someone explain to me why the east/west county roads have a 45-mph limit while the north/south roads are limited to 35-mph. (A pattern or coincidence?) Example is Micro Racetrack to Lake Ella (35mph), Lake Ella East (45 mph) and Micro Racetrack north to 27/441 (35 mph).

He also explained the details of a ticket for exceeding 20-mph in a golf cart. This can happen if your cart is not registered and licensed. The ticket you receive is not for speeding. It is for operating an unlicensed vehicle on a public street. It is my understanding that the ticket is considerably more costly than a speeding ticket. No explanation for if/how the 5-mph margin applies.
It's a coincidence not a pattern regarding speed limits on East/West vs North/South. Some
are County Roads that span more than one County example CR 100 (Cherry Lake Road) runs
South from CR 466 to Lake Ella Rd. The road starts in Lake County and speed limit is posted as 35 mph it then crosses into Sumter County and the posted limit increases to 45.
The CR 466A posted speed limit is 45 going East until you approach Fruitland Park and it changes to 35 until it ends at 441.

There also are no patterns within the gated sections of the Villages regarding speed limits. Many of the roads north of 466 that have dedicated MM lanes have a posted speed limit of 25 mph while similar roads south of 466 it's 30 mph. The purpose of the signs leading into the Villages is to remind drivers that once they are in the Villages if they are on a road without a
speed limit sign then the maximum speed is 20 mph. Many areas in the Marion County section have posted speed limits of 15 mph.
Old 08-02-2022, 05:18 AM

Perhaps a better use of police time would be to catch the people stealing golf carts.
Or robbing stores and people.
Or DWI drivers.
Or catching roofers that fraudulently rip off insurance companies.

Crimes that have a real impact on everyone's quality of life.
Old 08-02-2022, 06:30 AM

Speed limits in the Villages are a joke. Went from 466 to Savanna Center on Buena Vista driving at 35mph posted speed limit. Was passed by 15 cars (most doing very much over 35mph). Did pass 1 car going less than 35. Everyone knows there is little speed enforcement in the Villages so they increase their speed to keep up with the flow. Human nature at it's best. Why no speed enforcement?
Closed Thread

Tags
speed, villages, 20mph, limit, wildwood

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.