Old 01-16-2012, 07:52 AM
Default Well then,

this isn't right.

The Villages Florida
Old 01-16-2012, 09:48 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by red tail View Post
Ten and 15 miles per hour!!! The wind blows faster than that. Maybe declare the whole Villages a 24 hour School Zone or maybe its an Old People Zone; something I didn't know that they had in Florida.
Old 01-16-2012, 10:12 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Cool

The objective was reduce the number of speed limit signs in the Villages.

It's almost impossible to drive 20mph, much less 10mph! If you drive 10mph on Paige Pl., you have golf carts passing you. I tried it a couple weeks ago and I had golfs carts [and cars] backed up all the way to Main St.

oh, I wasn't very popular either.....
Old 01-16-2012, 10:19 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim 9922 View Post
Ten and 15 miles per hour!!! The wind blows faster than that. Maybe declare the whole Villages a 24 hour School Zone or maybe its an Old People Zone; something I didn't know that they had in Florida.
Did you read the entire report? The streets with the lowest speed limits are the ones that are narrow, have multiple driveways entering the street and/or have curves that hinder visibility. Major streets are not affected.

All the concern about Morse, Buena Vista, El Camino, etc. being 20mph is unfounded.

Basically, the speed is reduced where there are no dedicated cart paths, where there are driveways entering the street, and where curves reduce visibility. Villa streets which are narrow with a lot of driveways are suggested to be lowered since the county doesn't own/maintain them.

We have cart-auto accidents here. Perhaps if the speed of the vehicles in areas where they have to share roadway is reduced, there will be fewer of them and injuries/damage will be lessened.

BTW, I got a kick out of the letter in the Sunday Sun asserting that it is very difficult/unsafe to drive at 20mph. Really? Time for an AARP driving refresher course.

Last edited by Mikeod; 01-16-2012 at 10:21 AM. Reason: Additional info
Old 01-22-2012, 07:00 AM

Hooray! Perfect explanation. Too bad everyone doesn't read the whole report before they form their opinion.
Old 01-22-2012, 07:19 AM
Sage

PLUS....it puzzles me when folks begin to grumble when others (or themselves) get cited for breaking the law. Such as citations for traffic violations and more...like it was the fault of the officer, the state but not them!!!
Old 01-22-2012, 11:23 AM
Veteran member

What's the normal speed of a hearse traveling to a cemetery with relatives and friends? Remember we are frogs. Traveling in TV is a rehearsal for that
Old 01-22-2012, 11:32 AM
Sage
Default Let me off the merry-go-round!

Regardless of the 20 mph speed limit, those roundabouts are a little hairy to the newbee. We don't know where we are going, and generally everyone is going about 30 around those things with double lanes. It's impossible to think while driving, you just have to drive. It's confusing. It's like playing chicken! Now I know I'll feel different when I live there but when visiting it's stressful! Ok, I'm done ranting. Please forgive me.
Old 01-22-2012, 12:28 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happinow View Post
Regardless of the 20 mph speed limit, those roundabouts are a little hairy to the newbee. We don't know where we are going, and generally everyone is going about 30 around those things with double lanes. It's impossible to think while driving, you just have to drive. It's confusing. It's like playing chicken! Now I know I'll feel different when I live there but when visiting it's stressful! Ok, I'm done ranting. Please forgive me.
The roundabouts are not going away so, you might as learn to think while driving. That really is a scary thought "not being able to think while driving".
Old 01-22-2012, 12:37 PM
Email Reported As Spam

I find it interesting that the Sumter One commissioners used
Kimley-Horn & Assoc.... Kimley-Horn now were have I seen that name before?Hmmmmmmmmm
Old 01-22-2012, 12:58 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorio View Post
What's the normal speed of a hearse traveling to a cemetery with relatives and friends? Remember we are frogs. Traveling in TV is a rehearsal for that
Old 01-22-2012, 09:24 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happinow View Post
I think you'll like the changes they are making to the signs at the roundabouts. They are making them more like the ones I saw in Scotland. They will show more clearly where each approaching lane can and cannot go. And they will show the destination/road name for each exit from the roundabout. So, when you approach a roundabout, it should be clear which lane you should be in for each destination/road exiting from the roundabout.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.