Speeders

Closed Thread
Old 05-24-2017, 02:54 PM
Default Speeders

Does anyone out there know who to contact concerning speeding vehicles in our community? I called the Sumter Co Sheriff's Office and left a message, but no return call. We live in the Village of Pinellas very close to the entry gate on 466A and Pinellas Pl. Pinellas Place is a virtual speedway on a daily basis. Mainly contractor vehicles, but also residents. They speed from the gate coming into the property and speed to the gate while exiting. Would sure like some reasonable suggestions.
Old 05-24-2017, 03:00 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,160 Times in 2,252 Posts

I did the same, with the same result, NO return call. My next step will be to call the Sumter County Commissioners or stop by their office in Pinellas Plaza. Tjasc1411, you are correct, our house backs up to Pinellas Place, and there are many cars and possibly MORE golf carts going over the speed limits.
Old 05-24-2017, 03:19 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,782 Times in 3,648 Posts

They put an electronic speed sign on Eisenhower Way.

It got my attention and it's a good reminder.

Good to know my cart's speedometer is accurate.
Old 05-24-2017, 03:36 PM

Sheriff Buford T. Justice would be my first option.
Old 05-24-2017, 03:50 PM
Gold member

I think they should put some speed bumps there about every 5 or 10 feet, that will slow them down.
Old 05-24-2017, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjasc1411 View Post
Does anyone out there know who to contact concerning speeding vehicles in our community? I called the Sumter Co Sheriff's Office and left a message, but no return call. We live in the Village of Pinellas very close to the entry gate on 466A and Pinellas Pl. Pinellas Place is a virtual speedway on a daily basis. Mainly contractor vehicles, but also residents. They speed from the gate coming into the property and speed to the gate while exiting. Would sure like some reasonable suggestions.
I feel your pain. I live in an area where there is lots of new building of homes going on and these men don't know what a speed limit is. I walk my dog several times a day and have to really watch out for these guys speeding down the middle of the street. But today a resident was backing out of his driveway just as I was going by his driveway and he never even looked and almost hit me, then to make matters worse, he tail gated me all the way to Morse, and when we came to a stop at Morse, he was literally probably a nose away from my bumper. :cus
Old 05-24-2017, 05:50 PM

We've been coming down here for the last three years and this trip I've noticed a large increase in speeding and aggressive driving
Old 05-24-2017, 06:19 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,343 Times in 519 Posts

Sad to say The Villages is growing Growing Growing.Becoming like any town in USA
Don't get me wrong still love it here..but changes are part of the expansion.
Remember when you first got here everyone would said hello. Road trash was nowhere to be found
Back just 6 or seven years ago law enforcement was seen quite regularly on our streets.You didn't dare make a rolling stop
Today not so much I haven't seen the motorcycle patrol in at least a year. My take too big to patrol with out expanding dept
Old 05-24-2017, 07:46 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Take up a collection and put these down. .

Rubber Speed Bumps - Portable & Recycled | Traffic Safety Store

The Villages Florida
Old 05-24-2017, 08:29 PM
Platinum member
Exclamation Put it in writing.

I suggest an intensive letter writing campaign.

1. Letters to the Editor of the Villages Sun.

2. Letters to the CDD in which the offenses are taking place, asking that they contact the appropriate law enforcement agency.

3. Letters and e-mail messages to the appropriate law enforcement agency, remembering that The Villages lies in three different counties and in the town of Lady Lake.

In the letters:

Be very specific about the location and time of day when the offenders are at their worst.

Ask for enhanced enforcement of the traffic laws to curtail these offenses.

Drive very carefully yourself; it will be embarrassing if you end up getting caught in the increased enforcement effort.
Old 05-24-2017, 11:32 PM
Veteran member
Thumbs down NO Speed Bumps!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauld315 View Post
I think they should put some speed bumps there about every 5 or 10 feet, that will slow them down.
Yes -- speed bumps will slow you down
However, worse than that, they wreck your car, even at a slow speed.

Boo-Boo, Hiss-Hiss to speed bumps!
Old 05-25-2017, 05:19 AM

Call 911 and report that there are speeding vehicles in the area. When the deputy arrives, have a conversation with him and ask if the area can receive special attention. Offer the use of your driveway for him to park in, to monitor vehicles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjasc1411 View Post

Last edited by roob1; 05-25-2017 at 05:26 AM.
Old 05-25-2017, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roob1 View Post
Call 911 and report that there are speeding vehicles in the area. When the deputy arrives, have a conversation with him and ask if the area can receive special attention. Offer the use of your driveway for him to park in, to monitor vehicles.

Good idea, except I would call the non emergency number.
Old 05-25-2017, 06:21 AM
Veteran member

If you are complaining about the speeding because of the noise I wouldn't ask for speed bumps. They make much more noise.
Old 05-25-2017, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl in Tampa View Post
I suggest an intensive letter writing campaign.

1. Letters to the Editor of the Villages Sun.

2. Letters to the CDD in which the offenses are taking place, asking that they contact the appropriate law enforcement agency.

3. Letters and e-mail messages to the appropriate law enforcement agency, remembering that The Villages lies in three different counties and in the town of Lady Lake.

In the letters:

Be very specific about the location and time of day when the offenders are at their worst.

Ask for enhanced enforcement of the traffic laws to curtail these offenses.

Drive very carefully yourself; it will be embarrassing if you end up getting caught in the increased enforcement effort.
Who would we write to about the workers who are speeding through our area? Also, isn't there a time before which they can't begin working? I walk my dog every morning at 5:30 and this a.m., the workers were already out with their bright spot lights and loud digging equipment behind this beautiful home near me, working away. I felt so bad for the homeowner.

Tags
pinellas, gate, vehicles, speed, basis

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.