Gate Passes like Sun Pass or EZ Pass

Closed Thread
Old 02-08-2014, 09:42 AM
Default Gate Passes like Sun Pass or EZ Pass

This morning as I was driving around in the pouring rain, getting soaked every time I had to open my window to go thru a gate, I wondered what a perfect world it would be to have the gate pass function like a Sun Pass or EZ Pass mounted on your windshield. If only dreams could come true......
Old 02-08-2014, 09:45 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,394 Times in 2,405 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by theorem painter View Post
This morning as I was driving around in the pouring rain, getting soaked every time I had to open my window to go thru a gate, I wondered what a perfect world it would be to have the gate pass function like a Sun Pass or EZ Pass mounted on your windshield. If only dreams could come true......
Some dreams can be quite expensive...................
Old 02-08-2014, 10:03 AM
Veteran member

I agree with the notion of having the gates work like EZ Pass or Sun Pass with a transponder inside your car.

Or better yet, why have a card to swipe at all. Have the gates work as is, but activate automatically when a car approaches. The Villages is a "gated community" in name only so why don't we just keep the gates to slow up car/truck traffic and give the golf carts a chance to cross safely.
Old 02-08-2014, 10:08 AM
Soaring Eagle member

There are alot of comunities that have the transponder concept in place and it works very well. Yes it would be an added expense but do you realzie that the personnel manning the gates cost the community (you and I) over $1 Million EVERY YEAR.
Old 02-08-2014, 10:14 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to DonH57

Some gate attendants I've seen especially at our neighborhood gate have been kind enough to lift the gate for us. I've sometimes been able to wave the card at the window and get it to lift. Quite a few attendants never fail to wave either.
Old 02-08-2014, 10:19 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theorem painter View Post
I can pull up to the sensor, hold my card against the window and presto...the gate opens.
Old 02-08-2014, 10:26 AM

I agree with George Bieniaszek, why have to use a gate card anyway.

In previous threads, The Villages repeatedly indicated that the gates were "Just to slow traffic" and not as a security measure. That position is reinforced by the fact that all the gates have a button to allow entry whether you have a gate card or not. To comply with their position that the gates are to slow traffic, why not have an additional sensor installed that opens the gate when you ENTER the village. The same as the sensor that opens the gate when you LEAVE the village.

That would do away with having to stick your hand out the window in the rain, reduce costs to issue new and replace lost gate cards, and prevent wear & tear on power window units in the car.

Just a thought . . . .
Old 02-08-2014, 10:27 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVillageChicken View Post
I can pull up to the sensor, hold my card against the window and presto...the gate opens.
Same here...
Old 02-08-2014, 10:33 AM
Gold member

When we lived in Naples we were in a real gated community. We had a barcode sticker in our passenger side rear window, as we approached the gate it got scanned and the gate opened. When anyone moved their sticker got deactivated. Never got wet!
Old 02-08-2014, 10:53 AM

I agree, something needs to be changed.
Old 02-08-2014, 11:46 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVillageChicken View Post
I agree! I very rarely lower my window. The only time I lower the window is if the sensor is located lower than my window. You do need to get within about 18" or so but that's not a problem.
Old 02-08-2014, 12:03 PM

I like the attendant. You can't be the friendliest community without
Receiving your daily "have a nice day". Though I realize there are many
who have no desire to be friendly.
Old 02-08-2014, 12:40 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,930 Times in 787 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Bieniaszek View Post
I agree with the notion of having the gates work like EZ Pass or Sun Pass with a transponder inside your car.

Or better yet, why have a card to swipe at all. Have the gates work as is, but activate automatically when a car approaches. The Villages is a "gated community" in name only so why don't we just keep the gates to slow up car/truck traffic and give the golf carts a chance to cross safely.
I'll go for that. They are camera-monitored to begin with, so there is no added security to having to use a pass.
Old 02-08-2014, 01:19 PM
Gold member

When it is raining I use the Visitor side and let the gate attendant open the gate for me. Also when I ride my motorcycle the gate attendant will most times open the gate for me as I approach so I don't have to stop and put my bike in neutral to wave my card. Much appreciated. Of course this only works when there is a gate attendant.
Old 02-08-2014, 02:25 PM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,313 Times in 546 Posts

When build-out occurs, I think you will see a change not only in the gates but other ways that might save money.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.