Spiders, HELP

Unread 04-13-2024, 12:53 PM
Default Spiders, HELP

I need help with spiders. I moved into my new home the end of January in Dabney. I have a big problem with spiders. I kill at least two a day. I have a bug service and they’re not fixing the problem. This is very serious since I am terrified of spiders. I’ve lived in Florida for 25 years so I know about
all kinds of bugs down here, I’ve never had a situation like this. I am at the point where I’m going to sell my house, at a loss, just get out of here and I am not a rich retiree. PLEASE, PLEASE help.
Unread 04-13-2024, 01:19 PM
Veteran member

I’m in lake Denham and I seem to have a lot of brown widow spiders. Had them in my lanai and garage. I just bought some spray to kill them. I bought the stuff that you can spray a perimeter and it’s supposed to kill them for months. My lawn and outside service doesn’t do in my lanai. I’m not there full time so I don’t know how well it worked. But keep in mind, most spiders are good as they are killing other bugs. Brown widows are shy and won’t bother you. If you can’t see the abdomen hourglass another way to identify them is the egg sac. It has spikes all over it. Looks like a corona virus model. The brown widow can give you a nasty bite but aren’t as dangerous as black widows.
Unread 04-13-2024, 03:21 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,539 Times in 3,115 Posts

If you have a lot of spiders, then you have a lot of other bugs. Spiders go where they can get food. You might want to invest in an exterminator to completely fumigate your house and garage - which means you'll need to cover your dishes and eating utensils and stay at a hotel for a few days.

Once all the OTHER bugs are dead, you'll stop seeing so many spiders. At that point, just maintain good pest control.
Unread 04-13-2024, 05:48 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Get a new bug service…………
Unread 04-13-2024, 06:28 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,035 Times in 1,751 Posts

Can I suggest Massey? I’ve had very good luck with them for indoor and outdoor pest control.
Unread 04-13-2024, 06:33 PM
Default Massey

I have Massey, I think I’m gonna try to get rid of all this pine straw and put stones down. And maybe see if they can spray my attic with something. I think they’re coming in through the pocket doors because those pocket doors lead right into the frame of your house.
Unread 04-14-2024, 04:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princeton View Post
I have Massey, I think I’m gonna try to get rid of all this pine straw and put stones down. And maybe see if they can spray my attic with something. I think they’re coming in through the pocket doors because those pocket doors lead right into the frame of your house.
Call other pest control services, explain your situation, and then ask how they can help you. Massey is obviously not helping so move on from them. We have Fertigator, but before them we had Superior Services. We’ve never had spiders in our new DeLuna home in the 16 months we’ve been here even with pine straw in the front yard. Fertigator treats the exterior perimeter edge of the house bimonthly. The suggestion that you get your whole house fumigated might be the answer considering your property is brand new, and the spiders and their nests have likely been stirred up by the new construction. Are neighbors having the same problem? If so have any of them resolved the issue yet? Don’t give up before trying other services. Best of luck to you!
Unread 04-14-2024, 05:57 AM

Quote:
I need help with spiders. I moved into my new home the end of January in Dabney. I have a big problem with spiders. I kill at least two a day. I have a bug service and they’re not fixing the problem. This is very serious since I am terrified of spiders. I’ve lived in Florida for 25 years so I know about
all kinds of bugs down here, I’ve never had a situation like this. I am at the point where I’m going to sell my house, at a loss, just get out of here and I am not a rich retiree. PLEASE, PLEASE help.
DEAN's....... 2 1/2 years of their service at our Citrus Grove home......no bugs in house ... no webs on house even the garage is free
they do a great job......100% recommend this company
Unread 04-14-2024, 05:58 AM

We got rid of that nasty pine straw commonly used around the foundation. I spray Home Defense regularly and have a bug service that only comes when they are called. Seems to work
Unread 04-14-2024, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frayedends View Post
I’m in lake Denham and I seem to have a lot of brown widow spiders. Had them in my lanai and garage. I just bought some spray to kill them. I bought the stuff that you can spray a perimeter and it’s supposed to kill them for months. My lawn and outside service doesn’t do in my lanai. I’m not there full time so I don’t know how well it worked. But keep in mind, most spiders are good as they are killing other bugs. Brown widows are shy and won’t bother you. If you can’t see the abdomen hourglass another way to identify them is the egg sac. It has spikes all over it. Looks like a corona virus model. The brown widow can give you a nasty bite but aren’t as dangerous as black widows.
OP REALLY REALLY TERRIFIED NOW.

I had bugs in my new home in DeLuna and evidence of bugs in 2nd home. I spray Termodor SC outside of the home on eves and base every 6 months. Never have bugs. I also do a line across the inside of the garage door opening and any other "ways in"

Directions say DO NOT use it inside the home (but I do spray behind my washer and dryer and stove and fridge at base boards. Any areas that humans and pets do not go. That's just me and Ive been using it for years that way)

Works great. I also sprayed in attic where I can spray from ladder toward eves with pump sprayer. No bugs!
Unread 04-14-2024, 06:18 AM

I, too, have used Home Defense with success.
Unread 04-14-2024, 06:52 AM

You live in a new Village. When the new homes are built, it disturbs the insect life in the area and they are looking for new homes too! Use Home Defense around the foundation and under the siding. Also spray under the eves. Also you can spray into the pocket doors.
Unread 04-14-2024, 06:53 AM

Had the same situation when we first moved into Citrus grove. It’s not uncommon with such a disruption to the ecosystem from all the construction. When the frogs and Anole lizards return the spiders will decrease. In the mean time pest control can knock down the population, but sprays have to make contact with the spider so it’s not a one and done service. The technician shared with me that Aquanet (yes the hair spray) will kill them. I only needed one spray, they laid sticky traps (which really only captured earwigs on the lanai) . Used the Aquanet a few times after….and then cheered when the lizards returned shortly after. Our new home in Dabney did not have these issues I think because we moved in immediately after it was built and are right on the preserve.

We still have quarterly pest control. In addition to lawn treatment they knock down any webs from the eaves. I’ve only seen a single spider on our outside walkway light here.
Unread 04-14-2024, 07:09 AM

Quote:
I'd be interested in buying your house "at a loss" spiders and all. Spiders are generally not interested in you and, as someone else pointed out, are busy ridding your property of other bugs.

Of course, I don't expect that you are serious as a simple bug problem should not degrade the value of your property
Unread 04-14-2024, 07:10 AM
Veteran member

I too am terrified of spiders - and bugs. For years we have had plugin Riddux devices several places inside our home. They emit an electronic signal that humans don't notice, but that critters can't tolerate, so they stay away. My husband also sprays around the perimeter of the house; I don't know the product but I'll ask him and update here. He doesn't spray inside the house. We haven't seen a bug or spider in the house or garage for years; nor did we at a previous home where we used these devices.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4181.jpg
Views:	1240
Size:	28.7 KB
ID:	103663  

Measure your wealth not by the things that you have, but by the things you have for which you wouldn't take money.
The world needs dreamers; the world needs 'do'-ers. But most of all, the world needs dreamers who are do-ers.

Last edited by Freeda; 04-14-2024 at 07:17 AM.

Tags
spiders, i’ve, problem, kinds, bugs

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.