Sprouts Market

Closed Thread
Old 06-02-2023, 07:25 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,742 Times in 5,255 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey100 View Post
We went in the store earlier in the week and really like it. They had a fabulous special on wild caught shrimp, so we stocked up and froze some. We bought some nice fresh veggies, and some other items. I was especially impressed with their fish and meat counter. Looks like good quality and very competitive prices. I will be going there on a regular basis for certain items.
It looks as though, they don't sell any USDA Prime beef. The only places I know of to buy it are Publix, Fresh Market, and Sam's Club. Publix sells the best USDA Prime filet mignon steaks. I bought some at Sam's Club once, but they weren't as good as Publix.
Old 06-02-2023, 10:50 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Drayton Plains, MI, Vietnam, Waterford, MI, Pennacamp, Fernandina, Duval, 1 retired in Richmond
Thanked 1,590 Times in 568 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
Agree with you about the plastic bags. In this neck of the woods, all plastic bags are incinerated for energy so they are being recycled. I won't be going back.
Not all plastic bags are recycled, in the US, it’s been on the nightly news with proof some business are not recycling as thought.

I would much rather TV would recycle than burn. But no option was given when that change happened. I use paper for trash now that they burn. We have used reusable cloth bags for years, just throw them in the washer when we get home.
Old 06-02-2023, 12:51 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,742 Times in 5,255 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelegges View Post
Not all plastic bags are recycled, in the US, it’s been on the nightly news with proof some business are not recycling as thought.

I would much rather TV would recycle than burn. But no option was given when that change happened. I use paper for trash now that they burn. We have used reusable cloth bags for years, just throw them in the washer when we get home.
I don't know much about saving the planet, but it seems to me that operating the washing machine would waste more resources than using a few plastic grocery bags that are burned with the other trash.
Old 06-02-2023, 03:50 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,525 Times in 3,111 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I don't know much about saving the planet, but it seems to me that operating the washing machine would waste more resources than using a few plastic grocery bags that are burned with the other trash.
I toss my cloth bag in with the usual pile of laundry, so no. No waste at all. I had to clean my clothes anyway, the bag doesn't take up much room.

I also re-use the plastic bags for cleaning the kitty litter box and as liners for the bathroom trash baskets.

The point isn't that you should recycle or burn or whatever else the plastic bags. The point, is that those bags require manufacturing in the first place, and they are made out of petroleum, which is a fossil fuel. The point is to try and *reduce* the use of fossil fuels, whenever it's practical to do so.
Old 06-02-2023, 04:32 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,180 Times in 1,936 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelegges View Post

My understanding is the plastic bags are incinerated and turned into energy. Isn't that recycling?
Old 06-02-2023, 04:34 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Quote:
I wash at least 2 loads of laundry a week HE front loader. Wash our grocery bags with towels and sheets. So no waste for us, have 10 bags. But maybe you wash clothes, sheets, and towels every couple of weeks, so it might be a problem.

Average shopping trip for a family of four uses no less than 15 plastic bags. Today at sprouts I used 5 reusable bags, for two people.

Take a look at the floating plastic of thousands of acres in the oceans, it gives me pause. Maybe not you, but while not a tree hugger, I try not to contribute to the massive amounts of plastic. Just coming from sprouts today I counted 13 plastic bags stuck in trees, floating in ponds, and crossing roads.

Not many places burn trash, sooon states will start banning plastic
Old 06-02-2023, 05:13 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Quote:
My understanding is the plastic bags are incinerated and turned into energy. Isn't that recycling?
Recycling means it’s turned into something else multiple to hundreds of times. Burning plastic has nothing to do with recycling, other than allowing people to put more plastic in the air. It is one of the highest greenhouse gas emitting forms of energy production. Burning emits 3.8 times more gas emissions than energy grid.

It’s significantly dirtier source of energy than coal and oil.so if that makes you smile keep using those plastic bags.

We use paper for trash, cleaning litter, anything else goes in the compost

Last edited by asianthree; 06-02-2023 at 05:21 PM.
Old 06-02-2023, 07:28 PM
Sage

Quote:
No. They are different things.
Old 06-02-2023, 07:34 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianthree View Post
Recycling means it’s turned into something else multiple to hundreds of times. Burning plastic has nothing to do with recycling, other than allowing people to put more plastic in the air. It is one of the highest greenhouse gas emitting forms of energy production. Burning emits 3.8 times more gas emissions than energy grid.

It’s significantly dirtier source of energy than coal and oil.so if that makes you smile keep using those plastic bags.

We use paper for trash, cleaning litter, anything else goes in the compost
"Waste to energy" is not doing what you think it's doing. They're not just putting stuff in an oven and setting it on fire with the smoke coming out the chimney to pollute the air.

They're incinerating it, and the steam produced from the process is used to power the system. Gasses are filtered and cleaned, as part of the exhaust system.
Old 06-02-2023, 08:37 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,279 Times in 4,297 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
Uh oh. I guess no one told you - all of the supermarkets in this area hire "those people." Some don't have English as their first language. Some aren't white. Some aren't straight. Some aren't christian. Some Northerners. Some are liberals. Some of the men were born female, some of the women were born male. Some of the managers have sons or daughters who are, or have married, any of the above.

You're going to need to stop shopping entirely. Even Hobby Lobby hires "those people."

Enjoy your hermit cabin. Just remember - no cellular service either. Because those companies also hire "those people."
No one mentioned any of those things.

Do you stay up evenings making this stuff up?

-Tom Petty
Old 06-03-2023, 06:58 AM

Quote:
So, based on this thread, I went to Sprouts today and bought a few items. They have some different and interesting things.

When I was checking out, the cashier was putting items in plastic bags, but telling everyone, that starting on July 3, they will only have reusable bags for 10 cents each, or you can bring your own. I told her that, I would probably not be back because of that policy. What a dumb idea. Most of their products come in plastic or glass anyway, and it all gets burned at the garbage incinerator. I also don't shop at Aldi's because of their stupid 25 cent cart deposit. Why inconvenience your customers?
I lived in San Diego for 8 yrs. until 2019. Loved Sprouts. I was recently back in San Diego for a visit and did go into a Sprouts. Guess what? Prices are still cheaper there, especially for produce. Seems every business thinks we are all rich. However, I enjoy buying local produce and Sprouts is committed to buying local. I do hope they don't leave. The 10 cent plastic bags are a common occurrence in California. I too wish they left that practice on the west coast. It's amazing how many people will pay for a plastic bag which likely ends up in the ocean. It's as ridiculous as people paying for bottled water. I say get a Brita filter or similar or even go to Walmart and buy PRIMO by the gallon for 29 cents. It's amazing water. The fact that we are charged for water in this country astounds me. Filter it yourself, I say. And buy a few eco friendly grocery bags, yourself. Personal responsibility goes a long way. (sorry for the rant).

Tags
sprouts, dozen, cars, i’m, lot

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.