St Augustine Grass

Old 04-28-2024, 07:02 AM

Did your neighbor change mowers? It could be his mower. I know Dean’s has two separate crews for the south and one for the north to avoid cross contamination.
Old 04-28-2024, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronda View Post
Any idea what the difference is? Different type of St. Augustine grass? Knowing different SA grass is "different", is good, but knowing what to look for, or specify when buying would really help.
This helps to explain the different varieties of S. A.;

https://sodsolutions.com/lawn-care-g...ass-varieties/
Old 04-28-2024, 08:12 AM

I can sympathize with that neighbor, because I don't care for St. Augustine. It can look good from the street, but it's coarse grass and uncomfortable to walk on. It is susceptible to bugs and diseases that Zoysia isn't. (Of course, Zoysia also has its own diseases.) I'd be disheartened if one of my neighbors changed their lawn to St. Aug, because that means it would intrude on and take over the Zoysia I've got. However, complaining to that neighbor wouldn't be worthwhile; they're free to do what they wish with their property, and there's really no feasible way to separate the two lawns.

Years ago, one of several times we moved back to Florida, we had a medium-sized dog who refused to walk on the St. Augustine. When going out into our fenced yard, the poor girl would walk within a foot of the wall where the grass was thinner, then barely go out onto the lawn to do her business. I sort of feel the same way. Don't like to do my business on a St. Augustine lawn, either.
Old 04-28-2024, 08:22 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,570 Times in 3,130 Posts

I don't like any of the crap they call grass down here. There's green razor blades, dull green razor blades, and green spray paint. It's just a bunch of nasty vines that spread into everything and will shorten your hedge trimmer string by a couple inches every week. Because it's drought resistant, it tends to thrive in dry soil, making it the perfect cover for fire ants that suck the nutrition out of the soil. So you can't walk barefoot in the grass, in Florida. You'll either cut yourself on the grasses or get bitten to death by the ants.

If your neighbor has a problem with the St. Augustine grass, then plant some bitter apple vines on the edge of your property. Tell him these are much prettier and he can even keep the orange pods that grow from it.

That'll teach'im.
Old 04-28-2024, 08:27 AM

these topics: zoysia v. St. A grass; self maintenance v. service mowers; brown grass in winter v. green grass in winter; cinch bugs causing brown spots v. grass mysteriously dying; are all, individually and collectively, rabbitt holes! If it's green, let it be. If it's brown just wait & it'll turn green. If spots are brown or dying, wait & it'll turn green. Use your time to gaze at the birds flying & the clouds passing. You're retired & entitled to enjoy life now.
Old 04-28-2024, 08:31 AM
Smile Please verify

Where does it say you cant change the grass?????? thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageogauge View Post
Each village has a particular type of grass and it is not supposed to be changed except maybe in the historic section. If your neighbor doesn't have St. Augustine one of the homes changed it at some point.
Old 04-28-2024, 09:16 AM
Soaring Eagle member

After living in the northwest, grass in south looks like weeds. Sorry but grass in north looks like golf courses, in south, weeds!
Old 04-28-2024, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Iwaszko View Post
Where does it say you cant change the grass?????? thanks
I found this in the deed restrictions for District 13, (where I live);
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0107.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	14.2 KB
ID:	103886  
Old 04-28-2024, 09:26 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepyowl View Post
Any thoughts on St Augustine grass migrating to the neighbors Yard. Cant be the first time this is a topic .. they are complaining and the grass was here when we bought .. its grass it spreads...
Get lo his lawn? Seriously be a good neighbor and pu in edging to stop the creeping.
Old 04-28-2024, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepyowl View Post
Any thoughts on St Augustine grass migrating to the neighbors Yard. Cant be the first time this is a topic .. they are complaining and the grass was here when we bought .. its grass it spreads...
If they don't have St. Augustine but instead they have Zoysia it's a problem. St. Augustine is a weed, not a grass. There are weed killers that you or your neighbor can use to keep it from spreading into his lawn. If you both have St. Augustine, it shouldn't be a problem.
Old 04-28-2024, 11:09 AM
Smile thanks

thanks for the heads-up

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mayes View Post
I found this in the deed restrictions for District 13, (where I live);
Old 04-28-2024, 01:29 PM
Default Makes you wonder

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelegges View Post
When one’s yard has been Kentucky Blue Grass, that feels like walking on velvet, barefoot. Your kids and grands crawled on it, played barefoot, laying on it to watch the clouds go by.

However If you read my post the sod that the builder put down was like weeds that looked green. Nothing like our St Augustine at the other Four houses in TV.

When you look at the half of builder sod (green sparse sharp wide blade that resembles weeds) The newly installed St Augustine that looks like grass, you would make the same comment the builder sod looks like green weeds.
Your explanation is what StAugustine should look like, not what some sod looks like in some areas.

Been here since 2007 so kind of know what St Augustine should look like. We take care of our lawns so no cross contamination from lawn guys mowers.
If they use crappy grass on the outside where it's for all to see, I wonder what's being used behind the walls in the new construction of homes? Kinda makes you wonder.
Old 04-28-2024, 01:39 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Drayton Plains, MI, Vietnam, Waterford, MI, Pennacamp, Fernandina, Duval, 1 retired in Richmond
Thanked 1,625 Times in 595 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRGuyNJ View Post
If they use crappy grass on the outside where it's for all to see, I wonder what's being used behind the walls in the new construction of homes? Kinda makes you wonder.
Friend live in 3yo veranda's, their grass is the same weed/green St Aug as what was used at our build. The landscaper ST Aug wasn’t cheap, for really good looking sod and install. Pretty sure builder grade cost was 1/8 of what we paid
Old 04-28-2024, 01:52 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,917 Times in 1,535 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelegges View Post
New build has St Aug it’s just weeds that has grass color. New pool installed, landscaper brought in 3 pallets of St Aug to replace what was dug up during build.

It looks like grass, pretty green nice blade grass. I asked him what the difference was. Smiled and said crap builder ST Aug, verses quality ST Aug. if would have known I would have had him replace the rest of the lawn.

Old St Aug sends out the creepers. New sod so far doesn’t have any creepers. Only 2 months old so may change. Our St Aug near LSL didn’t have any creepers either.

Just a side note does your neighbor have his lawn mowed by a company? If so they will bring in every lawn issue on their mowers. Neighbor should be more worried about what’s being put in his yard compared to a few creepers from yours
St. Augustine grass, like any other grass. can put out pollen, which shows up all over The Villages. It is just a TOUGH grass that is everywhere. Not attractive to touch like northern grass.
Old 04-28-2024, 03:40 PM
Soaring Eagle member

The only thing is the creeping seems to get under the weed barrier somehow!

Tags
grass, augustine, topic, bought, complaining

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.