Dst

Closed Thread
Old 03-11-2018, 12:35 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts
Default Dst

If DST becomes our time zone, what does that mean to you during those winter months. TV shows including sporting events start an hour later, your family will have to adjust to when you call or they call, if you still work you will need to start business at least an hour later and work an hour later to match any supplier or customer's hours. The panhandle is going to stay on central time so they will be two hours behind us. What else? This will be fun.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 03-11-2018, 01:26 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Seem’s like there are more important things to be acting on up there in Tallahassee.
Old 03-11-2018, 04:35 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

As much as I like it, I highly doubt it will ever happen in FL alone unless it's done nationally (which won't happen either).
Old 03-11-2018, 05:05 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,160 Times in 2,252 Posts

There are many items that will/may be affected, for example: for about half of the year

Any and all travel outside of the state, airlines, buses, trains, etc.
Cable TV shows, specifically the on screen schedule, and possibly the recording of these
Phone calls out of state (lets see which time is it?), same goes for any type of scheduled video chats, etc.
Cell phones, will they be able to pick the correct time?
GPS, OMG this could be a disaster half of the year.
The constant confusion of having to explain to out of state callers about the time, and for US remembering that we will need to make the conversion when we are calling out of state.
Any and all businesses that have closely tied operations out of state, think electric utilities, etc.

I am sure there are also going to be secondary effects that have not even been thought about, like cloud storage when the clocks on the servers on DST change yours does not, and the WRONG VERSION of your work is saved.

I could go on but you get the idea.
I would really like to see the elimination of daylight savings time, but only if the entire nation does it piecemeal solutions are going to present a lot of problems.

Any and all of your connected devices in your smart home, which time is your cable (internet) going to provide to your devices?
Any calls to a call center for scheduling anything.

This is just me humble opinion. I think this is a very bad idea for JUST Florida to change. My understanding, congress has to approve the change before Florida could actually implement it. Maybe we would get lucky, and the rest of the states would go along.......
Old 03-11-2018, 05:25 PM
Veteran member

Like anything else...Lot's of Oh No !!!! Now What !!!!...OMG !!!!... an adjustment period............ Then.......Peace will return, then Chaos.....Then......well ya get the picture ...Relax..Pop a cold one Chill...ahhhh....
Old 03-11-2018, 05:31 PM
Sage

They did it wrong. Instead of keeping daylight saving time year around they should keep standard time year around..........I hate DST because that extra hour of daylight is burning up my lawn. LOL
Old 03-11-2018, 05:43 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 600th Photo Sq View Post
Like anything else...Lot's of Oh No !!!! Now What !!!!...OMG !!!!... an adjustment period............ Then.......Peace will return, then Chaos.....Then......well ya get the picture ...Relax..Pop a cold one Chill...ahhhh....
Right ... while the chances are virtually zero it will happen since the Feds, not the States control time zones they did it in a slightly different way in Arizona and Hawaii and have survived (they stayed on STANDARD TIME not DST).
Quote:
From linked article:
The problem? Florida doesn’t have the authority to adopt daylight saving time year-round.
The federal government controls the nation’s time zones, as well as the start and end dates of daylight saving time. States can choose to exempt themselves from daylight saving time — Arizona and Hawaii do — but nothing in federal law allows them to exempt themselves from standard time.
SOURCE: Year-Round Daylight Saving Time? Florida Says Yes, but It’s Not So Simple - The New York Times
Old 03-11-2018, 07:04 PM
Sage

Personally, I agree with a prior comment that will be a significant 'adjustment' period, I just hope Johnny Walker stays on schedule!!!!
Old 03-11-2018, 08:01 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,562 Times in 508 Posts

IMHO, I hope last night was the last time I ever have to change the clocks.

I don't mind DST; gives me more time to do things in the daylight when I get off work at 6pm.
Old 03-12-2018, 10:27 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,254 Times in 425 Posts

I like DST and wish it was a permanent thing.
Old 03-12-2018, 11:46 AM
Veteran member
Default Dlt

It can be a nuisance. Look what they have to go through in the UK -- moving Stonehenge forward an hour.

stonehedge-jpg
Old 03-12-2018, 04:30 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwann View Post
It can be a nuisance. Look what they have to go through in the UK -- moving Stonehenge forward an hour.

Attachment 74399
OK, now that was funny.
Old 03-12-2018, 04:50 PM

I agree. That is hilarious. Well done. As to the Feds agreeing to the Florida change, not gonna happen.
Old 03-12-2018, 05:37 PM
Platinum member

Not for just Florida! To many complications!
Old 03-12-2018, 07:46 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivaridger1 View Post
I agree. That is hilarious. Well done. As to the Feds agreeing to the Florida change, not gonna happen.
I wouldn't be too sure. Florida is in a kind of favorite son status right now.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
Closed Thread

Tags
hour, call, dst, hours, start

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.