Closed Thread
Old 03-12-2019, 09:28 PM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,313 Times in 546 Posts
Default Golf and middle class declinr

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Cold no more suggested this idea a couple of weeks ago and he well may have been right, that people generally are not as interested in golf as they once were.

If that is so, then I am sure The Villages will be onto the trend. OR NOT...….

Read this on the subject of golf from Forbes Magazine;
How A Declining Middle Class Is Killing Golf
The number of golfers certainly have not improved since this article was written. There are some tee times on Championship courses in TV that go unused most days in The Villages. The Developer knows what he is doing by not rushing to building more Championship golf courses. You can bet they know what the numbers are and know what they are doing.
Old 03-12-2019, 09:50 PM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,345 Times in 1,449 Posts

Don't forget that there are lots of golf courses outside the villages on 44 and 301.
Old 03-12-2019, 09:54 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,944 Times in 2,463 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip0358 View Post
If I wanted all those stores in my backyard I would have never left Long Island. I do think you'll see another square and at some point more stores will be coming but remember several old time stores are starting to close as online shopping and fast delivery like Amazon are getting bigger and better.
I agree I hate shopping, most of my shopping delivered to my front door, the wife does the food shopping, I don’t even like going to Walmart.
Old 03-12-2019, 09:57 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,944 Times in 2,463 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjim View Post
The number of golfers certainly have not improved since this article was written. There are some tee times on Championship courses in TV that go unused most days in The Villages. The Developer knows what he is doing by not rushing to building more Championship golf courses. You can bet they know what the numbers are and know what they are doing.
IMO golf big scam anyway, most can’t even play double boggy golf or drive driver 100 yards. So really no need for more championship courses.
Old 03-13-2019, 02:09 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

This is high season, there are more open tee times on championships then I have seen in the 9 years we have owned here. Saturday and Sundays are like a ghost town on them. In the past you had to take what ever course was available and not care what time it was. Now I can get most anytime I want even on short notice. I play them 4 days a week, but I can see in the next few years that changing as more birthdays arrive.

As I have mentioned before. Our boys play golf, but no longer as important as it once was. The younger gens want 24/7 Fitness centers with indoor pools and tracks.

As for them and us brick and mortar even for grocery is a waste of my time. Even our parental units shop online, and go to grocery maybe once a month,more out of boredom, than necessity.

Building the village grown is the first of great things to come for those who care about farm to table. Yes they could have put a course there instead, but the developer is looking to what will draw in the next generation.
Old 03-13-2019, 06:27 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,742 Times in 703 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMar View Post
You might want to buy a car.....there are plenty of championship golf courses north of 44 (of course that means you might have to travel 10 minutes).

I drive south of 44 several times a week to golf at the Fenney courses. It's amazing how much whining people love to do about having to drive.
Old 03-13-2019, 06:29 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villageswimmer View Post
I was thinking the same thing. Not cool, folks.

But certainly not unusual.
Old 03-13-2019, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjim View Post
Yep. I'm sure The Developer pays very close attention to the usage of the amenities. And has consultants who watch trends and advise on what retirees 5-10 years from now will want to be doing (). I'm really surprised there are not more indoor sport amenities - I expect they cost more to maintain. Basketball courts, indoor pools, indoor tennis courts, steam rooms, etc. Many resorts & time share places have those sorts of facilities. How about a frisbee golf course? Or some unpaved hiking & biking trails?

Golf may have been a big draw 20 years ago, but it is clearly waning in popularity. I'm glad to see The Developer putting in some new things down south.
Old 03-13-2019, 06:41 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Getting back to the crux of the matter although I enjoy all of the virtuous jabs too...……

A person who works at the Golf Course and has day to day dealings with 18 hole golf has weighed in above and said that there isn't as much Golf business as there once was. In fact ColdNOMore brought up the idea that Golf is not as popular as it was for many of us born after the forties and fifties.

Me, always a stalwart believer, thinks that the developers are carefully accessing use of Championship courses here and trends nationally. They have done a good job so far and my hope is that someone will not say they are just greedy and want to use the land for houses because then I will have to calm myself down.

I better not say...It's gonna be another beautiful day in The Villages or I will get a P.M. that I work for the developer or get paid by him.

NO and I am not fond of high sugar sweetened stuff in a packet that makes a drink. AND I am not easily taken in.

I love, love, love it here.
Old 03-13-2019, 06:44 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatureBoy View Post
Yep. I'm sure The Developer pays very close attention to the usage of the amenities. And has consultants who watch trends and advise on what retirees 5-10 years from now will want to be doing (). I'm really surprised there are not more indoor sport amenities - I expect they cost more to maintain. Basketball courts, indoor pools, indoor tennis courts, steam rooms, etc. Many resorts & time share places have those sorts of facilities. How about a frisbee golf course? Or some unpaved hiking & biking trails?

Golf may have been a big draw 20 years ago, but it is clearly waning in popularity. I'm glad to see The Developer putting in some new things down south.
I wouldn't be surprised to see a building set up with a bank of screens, so the 'new' retirees...can play video games and tournaments. :
Old 03-13-2019, 07:34 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosoxfan View Post
Why can't anyone bring up a concern on this forum anymore. No I won't be selling my house and moving North, yes I have 2 cars .These idiotic posts are b.s. answer the concern or shut the he'll up
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomp679 View Post
The reason as to why you shouldn't raise a concern is that you are the one that chose to move down to McClure. Now you raise the concern that there is not a championship golf course being built to your schedule. Maybe you should have waited if it is that important.

Your concern reminds me of the folks back home who move into the new condos in the 'hip' part of town that happen to be next to the train tracks. They then sue the railroad and city because the trains come through at night.
Old 03-13-2019, 09:41 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,383 Times in 2,521 Posts

If I had a Golden Goose that kept laying, why would I let the chickens tell it what to do?
Old 03-13-2019, 10:57 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosoxfan View Post
Another idiotic post.You don't like my concerns or threads please don't feel the need to interject this crap
There are a lot of people on this forum who aren't near as funny as they think they are.
Old 03-13-2019, 11:07 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Speaking of chickens...…..
Old 03-13-2019, 11:29 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by spring_chicken View Post
There are a lot of people on this forum who aren't near as funny as they think they are.

And even MORE fake and passive-aggressive...than they appear to be.
Closed Thread

Tags
championship, shopping, golf, starting, area

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.