State count for Village residences

Old 04-14-2024, 09:01 PM
Default State count for Village residences

Hi all,
I posed this question directly to the editors of the Villages Daily Sun newspaper but got no reply, so trying here:

Each day, on page 4 of the newspaper there are stories from several states along with demographics of the number of houses from each state...

I have been keeping a master summary list of those state-by-state numbers here (Demographics - The Villages 101)

I'm missing all owner demographics from Arkansas, Delaware, Rhode Island, and Utah. Are there no owners from those four states?

The newspaper has not updated those numbers for well over a year. Yet the boards in the sales offices have daily/weekly new owner demographics. Doesn't make sense.

Random thoughts welcome, but not as important as other pressing issues.....
Old 04-14-2024, 09:22 PM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,313 Times in 546 Posts

Apparently keeping up the number of households from various States is not a priority for the Daily Sun.
Old 04-14-2024, 09:26 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrHitch View Post
Hi all,
I posed this question directly to the editors of the Villages Daily Sun newspaper but got no reply, so trying here:

Each day, on page 4 of the newspaper there are stories from several states along with demographics of the number of houses from each state...

I have been keeping a master summary list of those state-by-state numbers here (Demographics - The Villages 101)

I'm missing all owner demographics from Arkansas, Delaware, Rhode Island, and Utah. Are there no owners from those four states?

The newspaper has not updated those numbers for well over a year. Yet the boards in the sales offices have daily/weekly new owner demographics. Doesn't make sense.

Maybe each is less than 1% of entire population. They were excluded because of rounding off?
Old 04-14-2024, 09:35 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,095 Times in 374 Posts

Quote:
Hi all,

Well, I doubt if you will find anyone here that would keep or have any source for those stats. If your source does not reply and they have not updated for over a year, how important can it be? Or accurate for that matter.
Old 04-15-2024, 08:04 AM
Sage
Thanked 14,052 Times in 5,337 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjim View Post
Apparently keeping up the number of households from various States is not a priority for the Daily Sun.
If it does not sell houses would not expect to see it there
Old 04-15-2024, 09:05 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,508 Times in 1,908 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
If it does not sell houses would not expect to see it there
The Daily Sun arrives at our house very early each morning and it has been enjoyed now for sixteen years along with our morning coffee. It does a very good job, actually has improved along the way with interesting stories about people and issues that affect us who live here as well as well sourced national and international news. It is obvious to all that the editorial section has always leaned to the right and the paper is owned and run by the same family that builds homes.

Since I think that building houses is a worthy business and I also think that this community has been very well planned, and very well maintained, I have no quarrel with any self promotion of the business of the Morse family. I think any tension that most folks find with the Sun is that they don't agree with the editorial comments. I can't remember now what that balance is, but it is most certainly heavy on one side.

It seems to me that the same folks have issues with the Sun repeatedly, as I read this Forum.

We all are allowed an opinion.

I really like mine the best.
Old 04-15-2024, 09:43 AM
Veteran member
Location: Upstate NY, So Fla, Louisiana, So Fla, Santiago and now Bonnybrook

All figures are not very accurate anyway. Many people moved from another state to another Florida area and then to TV and are shown from Florida only.
Old 04-15-2024, 01:27 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,974 Times in 755 Posts

Quote:
Hi all,

This might keep me up all night.
Old 04-15-2024, 02:32 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,052 Times in 5,337 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
The Daily Sun arrives at our house very early each morning and it has been enjoyed now for sixteen years along with our morning coffee. It does a very good job, actually has improved along the way with interesting stories about people and issues that affect us who live here as well as well sourced national and international news. It is obvious to all that the editorial section has always leaned to the right and the paper is owned and run by the same family that builds homes.

Since I think that building houses is a worthy business and I also think that this community has been very well planned, and very well maintained, I have no quarrel with any self promotion of the business of the Morse family. I think any tension that most folks find with the Sun is that they don't agree with the editorial comments. I can't remember now what that balance is, but it is most certainly heavy on one side.

It seems to me that the same folks have issues with the Sun repeatedly, as I read this Forum.

We all are allowed an opinion.

I really like mine the best.
We have been getting the Sun for the four years we have been living here and read it over breakfast.

They get their news mostly via AP which to me is very liberal in its stories. Almost never an editorial so no idea which way the paper leans, other than the way the developer tells them to.

I just wish the paper was more objective in the stories it prints.

This is a great place to live and the developer has done a great job making it so.
Old 04-15-2024, 03:08 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Quote:
Hi all,

Have you asked at the sales office?
Old 04-15-2024, 03:24 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,160 Times in 2,252 Posts

I have noticed that these numbers have not changed for a long time, so I just ignore them.
Old 04-15-2024, 04:25 PM

Hi all,
Thanks...I guess "the tribe has spoken". I will extinguish my torch on this vital topic! If I do hear from the sales offices or The Daily Sun, I'll be sure to update it here....haha
Old 04-16-2024, 12:06 AM
Veteran member

Total the number of residents you have data then compare with the entire current population. You will be able to calculate the number missing. Then guesstimate on the number of residents formerly from your listed states because the calculated missing is probably very small.

If you find the calculated missing is high, the data you are using probably has not been updated.

Last edited by Randall55; 04-16-2024 at 12:48 AM.
Old 04-16-2024, 04:37 AM

Quote:
Hi all,

I do the same thing! And, indeed, these 4 states (I gave up before I got Vermont or DC either). They update this every other year. And it is houses - not residents.

If you are curious, the 2021 numbers were:
Arkansas 123
Delaware 299
Rhode Island 461
Utah 42

Garden City, Long Island, NY
West Islip, Long Island, NY
Village of Citrus Grove (2021)
Village of Newell (2023)
Old 04-16-2024, 05:14 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,867 Times in 787 Posts

Quote:
Hi all,

Every year we receive a big Residential Directory for The Villages.A big part of that is names, telephone numbers (including cell phones), addresses, and where people came from. Nice to have! The next section is the names of residents (single or couples) BY STATE. This section doesn’t give the numbers, but it’s easy to count the columns or in some cases the actual numbers. For example, there are four columns of names per page. Only half of a column are people from North Dakota. There are fewer—33–entries for people from Utah. Rhode Island has six columns of residents! There is one column of residents from Arkansas. There are 3.5 columns of residents from Delaware. By contrast, there are almost nine columns of residents from California (same for Iowa) and thirty-two columns of residents from New Jersey.

This book also has a lot of useful maps of The Villages and its shopping areas at the beginning of the book.

Tags
demographics, newspaper, state, states, owner

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.