State count for Village residences

Old 04-16-2024, 06:44 AM
Default Opt-Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandoMan View Post
Every year we receive a big Residential Directory for The Villages…
Residents can opt-out of putting their name in this directory so it’s not accurate for these purposes. I suspect it is representative though, i.e., 10% may opt-out.
Old 04-16-2024, 07:04 AM

I moved from one end of The Villages to another. That made me a "Floridian" so I no longer was counted under my home state.
Old 04-16-2024, 07:16 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,558 Times in 597 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjim View Post
Apparently keeping up the number of households from various States is not a priority for the Daily Sun.
Nor is it for the majority of the world.
Old 04-16-2024, 08:05 AM
Default Arkansas

[QUOTE=DrHitch;2321667]Hi all,
I posed this question directly to the editors of the Villages Daily Sun newspaper but got no reply, so trying here:

Each day, on page 4 of the newspaper there are stories from several states along with demographics of the number of houses from each state...

I have been keeping a master summary list of those state-by-state numbers here (Demographics - The Villages 101)

I'm missing all owner demographics from Arkansas, Delaware, Rhode Island, and Utah. Are there no owners from those four

Look in the phone book there are quite a few of us from Arkansas.
Old 04-16-2024, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrHitch View Post
Hi all,
I posed this question directly to the editors of the Villages Daily Sun newspaper but got no reply, so trying here:

Each day, on page 4 of the newspaper there are stories from several states along with demographics of the number of houses from each state...

I have been keeping a master summary list of those state-by-state numbers here (Demographics - The Villages 101)

I'm missing all owner demographics from Arkansas, Delaware, Rhode Island, and Utah. Are there no owners from those four states?

The newspaper has not updated those numbers for well over a year. Yet the boards in the sales offices have daily/weekly new owner demographics. Doesn't make sense.

Random thoughts welcome, but not as important as other pressing issues.....
Maybe these numbers are of their newspaper subscribers only or actual numbers determined by TV? OR, only houses new and pre owned purchased using Villages sales agents?
For the record I bought pre owned and used an outside agent and we are from NJ. I do not have paper delivered.
Feel free to update your records if need be.
Old 04-16-2024, 08:41 AM

Since the Daily Sun is the printer of the phone book, I would think that this is where the state stats come from. However, at closing you can elect to not be in the phone book, thus would not be included in these state stats. Also, all MLS closings would not be included unless the new owner contacts the daily sun and requests to be included in the phone book. Go to the phone book and count the number of Villagers in a specific state and see if it is close to what is in your spreadsheet/printed in the paper.
Old 04-16-2024, 08:48 AM

When I bought my place here at TV, no one in an 'official' position ever asked me where I'm from.
Old 04-16-2024, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisanp@aol.com View Post
Since the Daily Sun is the printer of the phone book, I would think that this is where the state stats come from. However, at closing you can elect to not be in the phone book, thus would not be included in these state stats. Also, all MLS closings would not be included unless the new owner contacts the daily sun and requests to be included in the phone book. Go to the phone book and count the number of Villagers in a specific state and see if it is close to what is in your spreadsheet/printed in the paper.
I’ve lived in TV 15 years. At first, I found that section of the phone book very useful.
In this time period, I’ve known many people who died or moved away. They are still listed as residents.
Unless you notify them to take you out of the phone book you are still in
Old 04-16-2024, 09:09 AM
Sage
Thanked 14,081 Times in 5,345 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell57 View Post
I’ve lived in TV 15 years. At first, I found that section of the phone book very useful.
In this time period, I’ve known many people who died or moved away. They are still listed as residents.
Thanks, will try and remember to tell them just before my expiry date
Old 04-16-2024, 09:55 AM

I suspect that the stats are taken from the data base of the green Village ID card that we all have. I know that is how they maintain the record of how many of us are over age 55.
Old 04-16-2024, 10:30 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell57 View Post
Difficult to notify them, once you are dead.
Old 04-16-2024, 10:32 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisanp@aol.com View Post
MLS sales are included since the data is coming from when you get your Villages ID, which could be at closing or afterwards.
Old 04-16-2024, 02:52 PM

For this year - sometime in 2023 to today:

Arkansas 147
Delaware 318
Rhode Island - not reported
Utah 61

Rhode Island was 461 the previous year. I have not figured out on what date they switch to new data, but they have not done it yet.

Also missing this past year were
Washington DC (20 the previous year)
Puerto Rico (not reported last year either)
Old 04-16-2024, 03:42 PM
Default Welcome back, Graciegirl.

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
The Daily Sun arrives at our house very early each morning and it has been enjoyed now for sixteen years along with our morning coffee. It does a very good job, actually has improved along the way with interesting stories about people and issues that affect us who live here as well as well sourced national and international news. It is obvious to all that the editorial section has always leaned to the right and the paper is owned and run by the same family that builds homes.

Since I think that building houses is a worthy business and I also think that this community has been very well planned, and very well maintained, I have no quarrel with any self promotion of the business of the Morse family. I think any tension that most folks find with the Sun is that they don't agree with the editorial comments. I can't remember now what that balance is, but it is most certainly heavy on one side.

It seems to me that the same folks have issues with the Sun repeatedly, as I read this Forum.

We all are allowed an opinion.

I really like mine the best.

I’ve always appreciated your kind and informative responses. Thank you, Graciegirl.
Old 04-17-2024, 04:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
We have been getting the Sun for the four years we have been living here and read it over breakfast.

They get their news mostly via AP which to me is very liberal in its stories. Almost never an editorial so no idea which way the paper leans, other than the way the developer tells them to.

I just wish the paper was more objective in the stories it prints.

This is a great place to live and the developer has done a great job making it so.

The Developer owns the Sun so likely leans red. But more than that it believes in GREEN.

Garden City, Long Island, NY
West Islip, Long Island, NY
Village of Citrus Grove (2021)
Village of Newell (2023)

Tags
demographics, newspaper, state, states, owner

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.