State Farm Insurance, D**m Them!

Old 04-25-2024, 07:52 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRcorvette View Post
As a retired property adjuster all I can say is that I hate State Farm Insurance and would never purchase from them.
Hopefully Patrick Mahomes isn’t reading this!
Old 04-25-2024, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byte1 View Post
Did Farmer's Insurance "leave" Florida? I am still covered by Farmer's this year, for my home.
Yes,you will be non renewed at renewal
Old 04-25-2024, 10:57 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,129 Times in 2,766 Posts

Quote:
Did Farmer's Insurance "leave" Florida? I am still covered by Farmer's this year, for my home.
They are getting totally out of the state of Florida. By law they have to give a 90 day non-renewal notice to cancel policies. Our policy renewed 12/1/23 and they didn’t get the notices out until November so they had to renew us for another year, but they won’t renew us again this 12/1. We put on a new roof in February and will be shopping for new insurance this fall. Not something I’m looking forward to given the dysfunctional state of the homeowners insurance market in Florida.
Old 04-26-2024, 05:48 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Yes Farmers left the state because the high risk factor of weather , you will get a cancelation notification when your policy is up for renewal.
Old 04-26-2024, 06:03 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,305 Times in 563 Posts

What NO MORE FREE ROOFS.... and you all thought that wasn't going to catch up
with you! Nobody to blame but yourselves...High Crime, High Insurance rates & High Taxes....welcome to Florida
Old 04-26-2024, 06:05 AM

Before you give up on State Farm, check out the alternatives. Many of the new companies writing in Florida only write in Florida and IMO are only a hurricane away from insolvency. They run out of money to pay claims and file Chapter 11, leaving policyholders with bupkis. Progressive non-renewed us and we moved to State Farm, understanding that the rates in subsequent years will likely be going up (has insurance ever gone down?). Check out the stability of the company before you pay the premium. Here is a source to use for research: AM Best
Old 04-26-2024, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnN View Post
I use Progressive with a 2012 roof. They raised my rates over the years, but still somewhat reasonable considering the way insurance works these days. I'm curious, what about your 2015 roof wasn't up to the 2020 code? 2015 is still a pretty new roof.
Interesting- I have Progressive for Auto and Cart- they would not ensure my 2011 built home bought in 2022, due to the age of the roof “being more than 10 years old”
Old 04-26-2024, 06:53 AM

My mother just paid $20k for a roof in PA. Just an average size roof. 1 piece of plywood needed replaced. I think prices have gone up everywhere
Old 04-26-2024, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PompeyKing View Post
After Farmers Insurance left FL, I did a lot of research and decided to go with State Farm Insurance for home, auto & golf cart. I paid State Farm (SF) for the policy starting April 5th. Yesterday I received a phone call from my SF agent telling me that my homeowner insurance will be canceled effective 5/21/24 unless I can prove that my 2015 built home meets the Florida building code of 2020. To do that I would need to replace my 9 year old roof. I was told by one roofing company that SF was trying to limit their exposure since so many people had switched to SF. My agent said that to many people were getting new policies from SF. I’m just very disappointed with State Farm. I’m wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience?
If you decide to get a new roof, be sure they will still insure you. A friend did just the same and then the insurance company said they would not insure him because now if something happened, it’d be too expensive. (Not State Farm)
Old 04-26-2024, 07:24 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,804 Times in 1,260 Posts

Does anyone offer policies excluded roof replacement ( you self insure?)
Old 04-26-2024, 07:31 AM

I researched this a bit the other day when SF said no-go on my 2019 home. This is a big section of the 2020 revision. It details different ways a builder may comply with the new underlayment requirements. Most (Villages) I believe are using self adhesive types, which are mentioned first. The similar language/section in the 2017 code is much less descriptive but does also detail underlayment:

1507.1.1.1 Underlayment for asphalt, metal, mineral surfaced, slate and slate-type roof coverings.
Underlayment for asphalt shingles, metal roof shingles, mineral surfaced roll roofing, slate and slate-type shingles, and metal roof panels shall comply with one of the following methods:

1.The entire roof deck shall be covered with an approved self-adhering polymer modified bitumen underlayment complying with ASTM D1970 installed in accordance with both the underlayment manufacturer’s and roof covering manufacturer’s installation instructions for the deck material, roof ventilation configuration and climate exposure for the roof covering to be installed.

Exception: An existing self-adhering modified bitumen underlayment that has been previously installed over the roof decking and, where it is required, renailing off the roof sheathing in accordance with Section 706.7.1 of the Florida Building Code, Existing Building can be confirmed or verified. An approved underlayment in accordance with Table 1507.1.1.1 for the applicable roof covering shall be applied over the entire roof over the existing self-adhered modified bitumen underlayment.

2. A minimum 4-inch-wide (102 mm) strip of selfadhering polymer-modified bitumen membrane complying with ASTM D1970, installed in accordance with the manufacturer’s instructions for the deck material, shall be applied over all joints in the roof decking. An approved underlayment in accordance with Table 1507.1.1.1 for the applicable roof covering shall be applied over the entire roof over the 4-inch-wide (102 mm) membrane strips.

Exception: A synthetic underlayment that is approved as an alternative to underlayment complying with ASTM D226 Type II and having a minimum tear strength of 15 lbf in accordance with ASTM D4533 and a minimum tensile strength of 20 lbf/inch in accordance with ASTM D5035 shall be permitted to be applied over the entire roof over the 4-inchwide (102 mm) membrane strips. This underlayment shall be installed and attached in accordance with the underlayment attachment methods of Table 1507.1.1.1 for the applicable roof covering and slope and the underlayment manufacturer’s installation instructions.

3. A minimum 33/4-inch-wide (96 mm) strip of selfadhering flexible flashing tape complying with AAMA 711, Level 3 [for exposure up to 176°F (80°C)], installed in accordance with the manufacturer’s instructions for the deck material, shall be applied over all joints in the roof decking. An approved underlayment in accordance with Table 1507.1.1.1 for the applicable roof covering shall be applied over the entire roof over the 4-inchwide (102 mm) flashing strips.

Exception: A synthetic underlayment that is approved as an alternative to underlayment complying with ASTM D226 Type II and having a minimum tear strength of 15 lbf in accordance with ASTM D4533 and a minimum tensile strength of 20 lbf/inch in accordance with ASTM D5035 shall be permitted to be applied over the entire roof over the 4-inchwide (102 mm) membrane strips. This underlayment shall be installed and attached in accordance with the underlayment attachment methods of Table 1507.1.1.1 for the applicable roof covering and slope and the underlayment manufacturer’s installation instructions.

4.Two layers of ASTM D226 Type II or ASTM D4869 Type III or Type IV underlayment shall be installed as follows: Apply a 19-inch (483 mm) strip of underlayment felt parallel to and starting at the eaves, fastened sufficiently to hold in place. Starting at the eave, apply 36-inch-wide (914 mm) sheets of underlayment, overlapping successive sheets 19 inches (483 mm); end laps shall be 6 inches (152 mm) and shall be offset by 6 feet (1829 mm). The underlayment shall be attached to a nailable deck with corrosion-resistant fasteners with one row centered in the field of the sheet with a maximum fastener spacing of 12 inches (305 mm) o.c., and one row at the end and side laps fastened 6 inches (152 mm) o.c. Underlayment shall be attached using annular ring or deformed shank nails with metal or plastic caps with a nominal cap diameter of not less than 1 inch (25.4 mm). Metal caps are required where the ultimate design wind speed, Vult, equals or exceeds 170 mph. Metal caps shall have a thickness of not less than 32-gage sheet metal. Powerdriven metal caps shall have a minimum thickness of 0.010 inch (0.254 mm). The minimum thickness of the outside edge of plastic caps shall be 0.035 inch (0.889 mm). The cap nail shank shall be not less than 0.083 inch (2.1082 mm) for ring shank cap nails. The cap nail shank shall have a length sufficient to penetrate through the roof sheathing or not less than 3/4 inch (19.05 mm) into the roof sheathing.

5.Two layers of a synthetic underlayment that has a product approval as an alternative to underlayment complying with ASTM D226 Type II shall be permitted to be used. Synthetic underlayment shall have a minimum tear strength of 15 lbf in accordance with ASTM D4533, shall have a minimum tensile strength of 20 lbf/inch in accordance with ASTM D5035 and shall meet the liquid water transmission test of Section 8.6 of ASTM D4869. Synthetic underlayment shall be installed as follows: Apply a strip of synthetic underlayment that is half the width of a full sheet parallel to and starting at the eaves, fastened sufficiently to hold in place. Starting at the eave, apply full sheets of reinforced synthetic underlayment, overlapping successive sheets half the width of a full sheet plus the width of the manufacturer’s single-ply overlap. End laps shall be 6 inches (152 mm) and shall be offset by 6 feet (1829 mm). Synthetic underlayment shall be attached to a nailable deck with corrosion-resistant fasteners with a maximum fastener spacing measured horizontally and vertically of 12 inches (305 mm) o.c. between side laps, and one row at the end and side laps fastened 6 inches (152 mm) o.c. Synthetic underlayment shall be attached using annular ring or deformed shank nails with metal or plastic caps with a nominal cap diameter of not less than 1 inch (25.4 mm). Metal caps are required where the ultimate design wind speed, Vult, equals or exceeds 170 mph. Metal caps shall have a thickness of not less than 32-gage sheet metal. Power-driven metal caps shall have a minimum thickness of 0.010 inch (0.254 mm). The minimum thickness of the outside edge of plastic caps shall be 0.035 inch (0.889 mm). The cap nail shank shall be not less than 0.083 inch (2.1082 mm) for ring shank cap nails. The cap nail shank shall have a length sufficient to penetrate through the roof sheathing or not less than 3/4 inch (19.05 mm) into the roof sheathing.
Old 04-26-2024, 07:34 AM
Default filing a claim

Are claims being honored in Fort Myers after Hurricane Ian. I wonder which companies are the easiest to deal with.
I'm asking you this because if it takes them five years to settle a claim and I'm 80 years old, why even bother with homeowners insurance. I'm assuming I'm going to die when I'm 86..
Old 04-26-2024, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PompeyKing View Post
After Farmers Insurance left FL, I did a lot of research and decided to go with State Farm Insurance for home, auto & golf cart. I paid State Farm (SF) for the policy starting April 5th. Yesterday I received a phone call from my SF agent telling me that my homeowner insurance will be canceled effective 5/21/24 unless I can prove that my 2015 built home meets the Florida building code of 2020. To do that I would need to replace my 9 year old roof. I was told by one roofing company that SF was trying to limit their exposure since so many people had switched to SF. My agent said that to many people were getting new policies from SF. I’m just very disappointed with State Farm. I’m wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience?
Any Insurance company that picks and chooses who they want to cover or leaves the state should be put out of business. Our Governor signed a bill last year that protected home owners from insurance companies in regards to roofs but failed to limit the premium increases companies can charge.
Old 04-26-2024, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGibson View Post
Progressive is dropping folks like a bad habit.
I’m shocked to hear that. We just signed up with Progressive for our homeowners insurance two months ago.
Old 04-26-2024, 08:33 AM

Most people keep their bad habits, lol

Tags
farm, state, insurance, home, agent

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.