State Farm Insurance, D**m Them!

Old 04-26-2024, 08:40 AM

After being dropped by Progressive I was told by SF we needed a new roof on our 10 year old home. I called back to get more details about the roof and then was told they were not taking on new homeowners.
Old 04-26-2024, 08:59 AM
Default Higher homevalue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altavia View Post
I'd be tempted to upgrade the roof to mitigate the risk of having water damages and dealing with the aftermath.

The value of the home will increase also.
I just read on here the other day somone replaced the roof to avoid being canceled or getting higher rates for insurance. After the replacement, the insurance company raised the rates anyway due to the home value increasing due to the new roof. Homeowner loses every way possible when it comes to rates. The insurance companies need thier wings clipped!
Old 04-26-2024, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachKandSportsguy View Post
https://www.floridabuilding.org/fbc/...52820Final.pdf

Here are the changes for which your home probably doesn't comply.

As far as you being caught offsides by housing insurance, its happening everywhere in the US in the high risk areas, as the inflationary cost and values of houses have not caught up with the insurance rates, and insurance companies need to limit their risk of loss using legal means as the state regulator only allows a proportion of the cost increases to be passed to the customers.

sounds like a change of insurance companies is needed quickly and then followed up with a new roof in the next year or so. .

everyone is in the same boat, just at different rates by different insurance companies.

wish us all luck
Very informative attachment. Thanks
Old 04-26-2024, 09:16 AM

As has been noted before, Florida has the highest number of insurance claim lawsuits in the nation.
Old 04-26-2024, 09:28 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Fr View Post
As has been noted before, Florida has the highest number of insurance claim lawsuits in the nation.
Correct. Some wont admit it but this (FL) is one of the most litigious populations in the nation. While the Gov did some work on 'roofs', it didn't go far enough. While they do some due diligence...as a regulator, theyre limited. That...and I believe 3.9M in contributions from the 'industry' during last reelection....hes compromised. The weather and lawsuits will ultimately make competition anemic here. It will be a battle between the ultra premium paying haves....and the ever growing, going rogue (uninsured) have nots! IMO
Old 04-26-2024, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shipping up to Boston View Post
Correct. Some wont admit it but this (FL) is one of the most litigious populations in the nation. While the Gov did some work on 'roofs', it didn't go far enough. While they do some due diligence...as a regulator, theyre limited. That...and I believe 3.9M in contributions from the 'industry' during last reelection....hes compromised. The weather and lawsuits will ultimately make competition anemic here. It will be a battle between the ultra premium paying haves....and the ever growing, going rogue (uninsured) have nots! IMO
It's a mess that's for sure
Old 04-26-2024, 10:03 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,942 Times in 1,113 Posts

Why do people keep on using the roofs claims as the main reason for our insurance cost . The 3 highest states for property claims are California , Texas and Florida ,they are also the 3 states with the most natural disasters . There is nothing that’s ever going to change that fact and as we warm up .it’s going to get worse .You can whine all you want about insurance but people are still moving here because it’s still cheaper then many of the places people are coming from , one example is ,did you come from a state with state taxes if you did compare that to your higher insurance rates and see what you actually save and how about us New England people , what’s your savings on heating compared to the uptick in your insurance? I am not as concerned about the uptick in insurance as I am in getting it ,, but as we get hit with more natural disasters I’m sure they’ll be a fix found because if not the state will just be left with gators and the love bugs and that’s not going to happen
Old 04-26-2024, 12:14 PM
Thumbs down Many feel your pain!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PompeyKing View Post
After Farmers Insurance left FL, I did a lot of research and decided to go with State Farm Insurance for home, auto & golf cart. I paid State Farm (SF) for the policy starting April 5th. Yesterday I received a phone call from my SF agent telling me that my homeowner insurance will be canceled effective 5/21/24 unless I can prove that my 2015 built home meets the Florida building code of 2020. To do that I would need to replace my 9 year old roof. I was told by one roofing company that SF was trying to limit their exposure since so many people had switched to SF. My agent said that to many people were getting new policies from SF. I’m just very disappointed with State Farm. I’m wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience?
I requested a quote from them and they told me my home (built in 2000) was too old for them to insure. Jake, from State Farm, must have needed a raise. 3 year old roof and a new water heater did not make a difference. Too bad for them.
Old 04-26-2024, 02:23 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,685 Times in 634 Posts

Quote:
I’m just very disappointed with State Farm. I’m wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience?
Nope, not us.

We had a new house, a Laurel Oak, built here in 2016 and we have State Farm Insurance. We have had no problems and our insurance premiums have increased very little.
Old 04-26-2024, 09:28 PM

Probably not wise to trust State Farm, especially if you need to file a claim. Their attorneys and so-called adjusters will fight you for every dollar.
Old 04-28-2024, 12:59 AM

Strange that my manufactured home that was built in 1987 with a 17 year old asphalt shingle roof is still being renewed with no mention of the roofs age. Granted my yearly insurance is a thousand more than I was paying on a home that was worth twice as much 3 years ago.
Old 04-28-2024, 06:05 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty Dog View Post
Strange that my manufactured home that was built in 1987 with a 17 year old asphalt shingle roof is still being renewed with no mention of the roofs age. Granted my yearly insurance is a thousand more than I was paying on a home that was worth twice as much 3 years ago.
Are you in Historic District?
‘87...sounds like you may have one of Mr. Schwartz old places!
Old 04-28-2024, 09:03 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
After Farmers Insurance left FL, I did a lot of research and decided to go with State Farm Insurance for home, auto & golf cart. I paid State Farm (SF) for the policy starting April 5th. Yesterday I received a phone call from my SF agent telling me that my homeowner insurance will be canceled effective 5/21/24 unless I can prove that my 2015 built home meets the Florida building code of 2020. To do that I would need to replace my 9 year old roof. I was told by one roofing company that SF was trying to limit their exposure since so many people had switched to SF. My agent said that to many people were getting new policies from SF. I’m just very disappointed with State Farm. I’m wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience?
State Farm tried to pressure me into signing up quick earlier this month. They changed, and now they don’t write home policies any more. My roof was replaced in 2023. I bought a policy from Tower Hill Insurance Exchange, a Gainesville based company, highly rated by BBB. I had quotes from two different agencies and settled with an Allstate agent in Hollywood Florida. They saved cost by eliminating the “other structures” part of the HO3 policy. You cannot have an “other structure” on your lot in The Villages.
Old 04-28-2024, 06:27 PM
Veteran member

Our home was built in 2010, and still has the original roof. We switched to State Farm this past April 1st and also bundled our vehicles. The Homeowners rate was $750 less than our previous insurer, and the cars were $100 more (for 6 months). Sure hope we don't get a cancellation notice
Old 05-04-2024, 03:03 PM
Default What changed?

Quote:

https://www.floridabuilding.org/fbc/...ergy_Final.pdf

Tags
farm, state, insurance, home, agent

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.