State Farm Insurance, D**m Them!

Old 04-25-2024, 09:43 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,942 Times in 1,113 Posts

I just renewed with State Farm car and home, home is 10 years old same roof, my home went up $123 , I guess with insurance these days it’s just the luck of the draw
Old 04-25-2024, 09:45 AM

I did too. I was told that the cut off was 4/1/2024. I'd be interested in if you also receive a cancellation notice.
Old 04-25-2024, 10:34 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachKandSportsguy View Post
https://www.floridabuilding.org/fbc/...52820Final.pdf

Here are the changes for which your home probably doesn't comply.
It would be nice if Florida gave us a heads up about these changes, for example if the Final 2020 is going to be updated to a Final 2026, then getting a new roof (if it can be delayed) in 2024 will cause similar problems down the road.

I was looking around & it seems like the Florida Building Code is updated every three years. But who knows if major roof updates will be included?
Old 04-25-2024, 11:13 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,921 Times in 921 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty_Star View Post
It would be nice if Florida gave us a heads up about these changes, for example if the Final 2020 is going to be updated to a Final 2026, then getting a new roof (if it can be delayed) in 2024 will cause similar problems down the road.

I was looking around & it seems like the Florida Building Code is updated every three years. But who knows if major roof updates will be included?
you probably need to hang out in a general contractor's office and find out what he uses for code updates. They are published in places where the commercial professionals always go, wherever that is.
Old 04-25-2024, 11:30 AM
Gold member

Quote:
https://www.floridabuilding.org/fbc/...52820Final.pdf

Here are the changes for which your home probably doesn't comply.

As far as you being caught offsides by housing insurance, its happening everywhere in the US in the high risk areas, as the inflationary cost and values of houses have not caught up with the insurance rates, and insurance companies need to limit their risk of loss using legal means as the state regulator only allows a proportion of the cost increases to be passed to the customers.

sounds like a change of insurance companies is needed quickly and then followed up with a new roof in the next year or so. .

everyone is in the same boat, just at different rates by different insurance companies.

wish us all luck
SG....Wouldnt you agree its much more fluid and volatile in FL than back home? I know it's all relative but I've seen nothing out of the ordinary up north. Other than normal cookie cutter increases
Old 04-25-2024, 11:42 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,921 Times in 921 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shipping up to Boston View Post
SG....Wouldnt you agree its much more fluid and volatile in FL than back home? I know it's all relative but I've seen nothing out of the ordinary up north. Other than normal cookie cutter increases
Yes, agree, but NE is not a high risk environment for
hurricanes, twisters, tornadoes, cyclones, hail, hailstones, floods, standing water, rushing water, straight line winds, micro bursts, forest fires, brush fires, and any other high risk weather events not included in this legal department's list.
Old 04-25-2024, 11:54 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,181 Times in 835 Posts

Help me out. If SF sold you a one year homeowner's policy in April, accepted payment and issued the policy... How can they a few weeks later cancel it. Isn't a contract binding on both parties? Is there some fine print allowing the insurance company to back out for any reason they like?

SF certainly knew the age of your home when they issued the policy. They certainly had the opportunity to ask or even did ask the age of the roof. They agreed to cover your home. IANAL, I need somebody to explain this.

I would understand if they said that based on the age of your roof they will not renew your policy, but I don't understand how they can just cancel if you didn't lie about anything.
Old 04-25-2024, 12:02 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Yes, agree, but NE is not a high risk environment for
hurricanes, twisters, tornadoes, cyclones, hail, hailstones, floods, standing water, rushing water, straight line winds, micro bursts, forest fires, brush fires, and any other high risk weather events not included in this legal department's list.
Ahhh yes....paradise defined!
Old 04-25-2024, 12:04 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueash View Post
Help me out. If SF sold you a one year homeowner's policy in April, accepted payment and issued the policy... How can they a few weeks later cancel it. Isn't a contract binding on both parties? Is there some fine print allowing the insurance company to back out for any reason they like?

SF certainly knew the age of your home when they issued the policy. They certainly had the opportunity to ask or even did ask the age of the roof. They agreed to cover your home. IANAL, I need somebody to explain this.

I would understand if they said that based on the age of your roof they will not renew your policy, but I don't understand how they can just cancel if you didn't lie about anything.
Agree....some key detail is missing from OP post
Old 04-25-2024, 12:38 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,648 Times in 1,517 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorfan1 View Post
Yes
My Farmer's agent is still here and they renewed me for the year. Apparently, they must give you notice that they won't be renewing and I guess they were forced to renew me until the end of the new term. Won't be the first or last agency to drop me since I have been here. I did get a refund when one company went chapter 11 AFTER they accepted my payment for the year.
Old 04-25-2024, 12:46 PM

I have been told that an Insurance Company has 60 days from the date that you get the policy to cancel your coverage with or without any reaseon.
Old 04-25-2024, 01:22 PM

I'm surprised how expensive new roofs are here in TV. Like 2x-3x what we're used to from up north.
Old 04-25-2024, 01:26 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,543 Times in 3,118 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PompeyKing View Post
I have been told that an Insurance Company has 60 days from the date that you get the policy to cancel your coverage with or without any reaseon.
You were told incorrectly.

They can cancel the policy they issued, with certain restrictions.

They have to give you at least a 30-day notice in most states. Some states require longer. No idea about Florida for notice time.

They can only cancel it for reasons specified by the contract. SOME reasons are as follows:

Quote:
Intentional damage to a covered asset by the insured, policyholder, or interested third-party
Criminal record
Insured poses a "moral risk"
Life changes
Too many missed payments
Too many claims
Significant changes in risk.
They can't cancel it for "no reason" or even for "any" reason.
Old 04-25-2024, 02:01 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
This is what I was emailed from my State Farm agent: Peel and stick applied directly to the entire roof deck or applied to all joints and seams of the roof deck. To comply with 2020 Florida building code

Two roofing companies said that they would have to remove the shingles in order to comply, thus a new roof!!
Was in the adjusting business. Peal and stick is probably one of the worst roofs you can have. Was from S. Florida and this was not up to code YEARS before. Might check to see if your roofer installed a non code compliant roof and if still in business you might look to see if you have a legal case against the roofing company.
Old 04-25-2024, 04:21 PM
Default State farn insurance

Quote:
After Farmers Insurance left FL, I did a lot of research and decided to go with State Farm Insurance for home, auto & golf cart. I paid State Farm (SF) for the policy starting April 5th. Yesterday I received a phone call from my SF agent telling me that my homeowner insurance will be canceled effective 5/21/24 unless I can prove that my 2015 built home meets the Florida building code of 2020. To do that I would need to replace my 9 year old roof. I was told by one roofing company that SF was trying to limit their exposure since so many people had switched to SF. My agent said that to many people were getting new policies from SF. I’m just very disappointed with State Farm. I’m wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience?
As a retired property adjuster all I can say is that I hate State Farm Insurance and would never purchase from them.

Tags
farm, state, insurance, home, agent

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.