IT Status of The Villages

Closed Thread
Old 11-06-2020, 09:08 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,662 Times in 3,168 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kja966 View Post
I just interacted with the Villages Sun for a renewal of my subscription. I had to give a credit card number over the phone. I asked why no online presence and the ability to pay, suspend, and restart subscriptions online like 98% of publications. I was told they are a small town newspaper and that would destroy that image if they provided that service. It was all I could do not to laugh into the phone. The Sun is many things, an advertiser, housing brochure, lite news, but small town newspaper?
It got me thinking about the “computer” status here in TV.
Newspaper forces interaction on phone, limited hours and snail mail interactions.
The golf tee time system is badly in need of upgrade. Clunky interface, inability to see any open time on same day, generally looks like a 1990’s interface. The phone system is arcane and byzantine. A relative used to pride himself on setting up a tee time for a group of 12. With errors and redos it usually took him over an hour.
VCDD system somewhat better but government systems usually have limited functionality.
It is obvious that this is not a priority for the powers that be. I would think the convenience and 24 hour availability would more than pay for itself. Smoothing out tee time interfaces would make their job easier. Shopping cart technology is mature and affordable. Tee time apps, both Apple and Android are obvious needs. Even athena health care appointments on line non functional.
Just some rambling thoughts.
Dood. You're dealing with a community where some residents don't even own a cell phone yet. And many still use flip-phones. Why are you expecting modern technology in a community like that? A lot of these seniors don't know how to use a computer and blame their age on their ignorance, even though the guy who INVENTED the thing is older than they are, and personal computers have been around (and affordable) for the past 30 years. Thirty years ago they weren't too old to learn how to use a computer.

They don't update, because they don't have to yet. The people they'd be updating FOR - can't be bothered updating themselves.
Old 11-07-2020, 09:02 AM
Veteran member

The District website is sad indeed. Try to find things. Nothing is ever concise so you wade to pages and pages of useless information to find what you're looking for. And the district maps? What a joke! At least a year old, some two years old. Want to know where the new villages are? You're out of luck. It makes you wonder if the district actually knows what they are responsible for.
Old 11-07-2020, 09:36 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,974 Times in 1,125 Posts
Default Please tell me your joking

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenoc7 View Post
My lawn care guy fired me because I asked for online payments and emailed invoices and receipts. Right Donald Fournier?
30 years in Florida it’s always bee cash only for me
Old 11-07-2020, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kja966 View Post
I just interacted with the Villages Sun for a renewal of my subscription. I had to give a credit card number over the phone. I asked why no online presence and the ability to pay, suspend, and restart subscriptions online like 98% of publications. I was told they are a small town newspaper and that would destroy that image if they provided that service. It was all I could do not to laugh into the phone. The Sun is many things, an advertiser, housing brochure, lite news, but small town newspaper?
It got me thinking about the “computer” status here in TV.
Newspaper forces interaction on phone, limited hours and snail mail interactions.
The golf tee time system is badly in need of upgrade. Clunky interface, inability to see any open time on same day, generally looks like a 1990’s interface. The phone system is arcane and byzantine. A relative used to pride himself on setting up a tee time for a group of 12. With errors and redos it usually took him over an hour.
VCDD system somewhat better but government systems usually have limited functionality.
It is obvious that this is not a priority for the powers that be. I would think the convenience and 24 hour availability would more than pay for itself. Smoothing out tee time interfaces would make their job easier. Shopping cart technology is mature and affordable. Tee time apps, both Apple and Android are obvious needs. Even athena health care appointments on line non functional.
Just some rambling thoughts.
Totally agree! In this day an age why not have this accessibility? One writer reply’s as how TV can tell you when your closing is, down to the hour and build reliable homes during the pandemic, etc. They (TV) are the same people and this advanced accessibility/technology would only benefit their bottom line! Makes little sense!
Old 11-07-2020, 09:41 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,936 Times in 927 Posts

geez, this thread fits right in with all the shuffle board courts for senior entertainment!

Closed Thread

Tags
time, phone, tee, newspaper, system

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.