Stolen Mobile Free Library- please report sighting

Closed Thread
Old 03-11-2023, 10:20 AM
Platinum member
Location: Here, there, a lot of time in the Caribbean and keys, not much time spent in cold climates
Thanked 1,759 Times in 757 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
There are non-Villagers who drive through the area and pick up whatever people leave at the end of their driveway. It is very possible that someone just took it without realizing they were stealing something.
Yes, of course ! Cruising through the Villages looking for most anything is routine. If you've ever come home very late (say from a late flight into Orlando) and seen the people who go through the waste reciprocals at the postal stations, and the old trucks that peruse the streets before dawn on garbage days... and then see something with "FREE LITTLE LIBRARY" written on it.... that's a disaster in the making. It's sickening to think there are people who would not even recognize those words as meaning a place where a person can take A BOOK FREE. In the world of so many, the idea of a "free little library" has only one meaning... take it, it's yours !
Old 03-11-2023, 10:28 AM
Platinum member
Location: Here, there, a lot of time in the Caribbean and keys, not much time spent in cold climates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post
Agree that night scavengers got it. Maybe try a wagon that goes house- to -house in your neighborhood to distribute books.
And may I add another idea to that ? Could the neighborhood rec centers find a bit of space to have a "free" library, where residents could take the books they have read, and get a new book ? A kind of bring one, take one ? NOT thinking of boxes of donated books like come to the Friends of the Library group and are sold at low cost to support the library. Just thinking of neighborhood rec centers where resident's could bring one book they finished and trade for another. Worth a trial effort I would think, if it was abused and individuals came in and just took an arm load of books, it could be discontinued, but I think most neighborhoods would abide and benefit !
Old 03-11-2023, 10:35 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducati1974 View Post
The pictured Little Free Library was lovingly built and donated by The Villages Habitat For Humanity Club for a resident of the Village of Summerhill and her neighbors. Please report at once if you have seen it. Rick @ 413-531-3020
Attachment 97346
Did you report this to the local police along with the picture ? I know it would not be considered a high value items, but, in so many small communities on the edges of the villages, I have seen MANY homes whose front, sides, and backyards are just FILLED with an unbelievable range of diverse items in what appears to be a perpetual YARD SALE...one that never ENDS ! Zoning and covenants are unknown in many areas.
Old 03-11-2023, 04:23 PM

Quote:
The pictured Little Free Library was lovingly built and donated by The Villages Habitat For Humanity Club for a resident of the Village of Summerhill and her neighbors. Please report at once if you have seen it. Rick @ 413-531-3020
Attachment 97346
What kind of moron would steal that??
Old 03-11-2023, 08:34 PM

For those of you who aren't aware the "Little Free Library" is a 501 (c)3 that promotes neighborhood book exchanges. There are over 100,000 of these libraries registered all over the country. The cost of registering your "Library" is $40 and provides you with the sign that says Little Free Library. This Library that the Villagers Habitat Club built for the Villager of Summerhill was stolen between 2 and 3 PM when the homeowner was out running an errand.
Average minds discuss events.
Small minds discuss people.

Eleanor Roosevelt
Old 03-11-2023, 09:21 PM

Hmmmmm….mid afternoon so may not be a salvager after all? But I just don’t understand the motivation for stealing it.

Joe
Old 03-11-2023, 09:57 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,083 Times in 2,746 Posts

Quote:
Attachment 97346
Quote:
Originally Posted by seecapecod View Post
What a shame. Hope it gets returned. You are from the 413?! Me too - Belchertown!
That sucks, my wife loves that book exchange. Also, we are from the 413 as well. I would be happy to build another one this summer when back up north where my tools are and bring it down in the back of my truck, but that wouldn’t be until the fall in the soonest. Send me a PM if interested.
Old 03-11-2023, 10:11 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dotneko View Post
I rolled my eyes so hard I think I strained them.
Must everything be political?
It appears so for some. I have not even heard of the governor having anything to do with "book banning" in neighborhoods, public libraries, books stores, or any place. Wasn't the only connection to books concerning in the public schools and connected to what is appropriate for the grade level ? That's been a consideration since public education began, parents and the general public expect school materials to be appropriate to grade/age levels. Good grief.... and all that over someones good heart and caring, to build something thoughtful and useful for one little neighborhood.... amazing how some people can twist every good deed !
Old 03-11-2023, 10:17 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
That sucks, my wife loves that book exchange. Also, we are from the 413 as well. I would be happy to build another one this summer when back up north where my tools are and bring it down in the back of my truck, but that wouldn’t be until the fall in the soonest. Send me a PM if interested.
OMG you've renewed my faith in human nature, or at least our community here. After the remark about the governor even caring about your neighborhood exchange of books...
Old 03-21-2023, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seecapecod View Post
What a shame. Hope it gets returned. You are from the 413?! Me too - Belchertown!
I"m from Springfield/East Longmeadow/West Springfield- my wife was living in Belchertown on Metacomet St when I met her!

Last edited by ducati1974; 03-21-2023 at 09:58 PM. Reason: Further clarification
Old 03-21-2023, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pairadocs View Post
And may I add another idea to that ? Could the neighborhood rec centers find a bit of space to have a "free" library, where residents could take the books they have read, and get a new book ? A kind of bring one, take one ? NOT thinking of boxes of donated books like come to the Friends of the Library group and are sold at low cost to support the library. Just thinking of neighborhood rec centers where resident's could bring one book they finished and trade for another. Worth a trial effort I would think, if it was abused and individuals came in and just took an arm load of books, it could be discontinued, but I think most neighborhoods would abide and benefit !
The person who had the Little Library had approached TV with the idea of having them at Rec or Mailbox Centers- they were not interested.
Closed Thread

Tags
free, report, stolen, summerhill, neighbors

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.