STOP IT! You're going to get yourself and others killed or injured.

Closed Thread
Old 01-10-2017, 01:40 PM
Sage

If it can be proved they are driving a cart with a disability that would prevent them from having a driver's license-if stopped they will be guilty of driving without a license--a person I know lost his license after a stroke, if he is caught he will be convicted of driving without a license
Old 01-10-2017, 03:13 PM

: :
Quote:
Originally Posted by VApeople View Post
You would not need to "slam on your brakes". Since they are "quickly" overtaking you, they are definitely driving faster than you are, so you only need to slow down a little bit to let them overtake you and make their turn in front of you.

Of course, that world require you to actually use your brake pedal, an abhorrent act to many people.
Old 01-10-2017, 04:15 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
You would not need to "slam on your brakes". Since they are "quickly" overtaking you, they are definitely driving faster than you are, so you only need to slow down a little bit to let them overtake you and make their turn in front of you.

Of course, that world require you to actually use your brake pedal, an abhorrent act to many people.
Sorry, but you're wrong.

While they were definitely faster, just letting off the accelerator would not have let him get far enough ahead to turn safely in front of me...and avoid an accident.

And yes, of course I braked enough to make sure he could cut across in front of me.

I was responding to the person who stated to never let anyone get next to you in a roundabout and how that's not always practical...especially if other vehicles are behind you.
Old 01-10-2017, 06:14 PM
Sage

Before you hit your brakes look in your rear view mirror--it might be an 18 wheeler
Old 01-10-2017, 07:07 PM
Sage

Watch at the gates too BOTH cars and carts. IF a cart is already in the road (like at Hemingway Gate) making a turn and you're coming through the gate....gate is just raising...don't gun it or you may have an accident. Proceed with caution! Same with carts...check and re-check before proceeding. We almost got creamed today by a car and I'm not sure if we'd have been at fault if he'd hit us...as we were already in process of turning in the road. He acted as if it was but wonder how he'd have felt if he'd have hit us??!!
Old 01-13-2017, 09:25 PM
Soaring Eagle member

I know we're getting aggravated at the cart drivers for some stupid things we do & just in case they don't know it cars have the right a way. But I would feel terrible if I hit someone on a golf cart because there's no way a cart is going to win. So do all the name calling we want & run over them. You got to remember, there's a lot of super seniors driving them who shouldn't be. So be a little more patient, you can't be that big of a hurry to get home to sit on your favorite chair, remember we're retired. So don't be an A$$ & ruin your life killing someone. Cars will kill people on golf carts & I really doubt a golf cart will kill anybody in a car. Remember there's probably more rode rage car drivers than cart drivers!
Old 01-14-2017, 07:49 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,944 Times in 2,463 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotGolfer View Post
Watch at the gates too BOTH cars and carts. IF a cart is already in the road (like at Hemingway Gate) making a turn and you're coming through the gate....gate is just raising...don't gun it or you may have an accident. Proceed with caution! Same with carts...check and re-check before proceeding. We almost got creamed today by a car and I'm not sure if we'd have been at fault if he'd hit us...as we were already in process of turning in the road. He acted as if it was but wonder how he'd have felt if he'd have hit us??!!
IMO the car would be at fault. if you were in the intersection pass your stop sign the car also has stop sign. the Stop sign is not for stopping at the gate if for stopping at the intersection after the gate. When something in the intersection the car behind the stop sign does not have the right a way whether it's person, cart, or camel.

IMO the problem with stop signs someone coming up to stop sign actually have to stop before their inline to proceed (Even with or behind the stop sign or the white line painted on the street). if someone just rolls through it confesses others that's already stopped and inline.
Old 01-14-2017, 09:49 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcrazorbackfan View Post
To the cart drivers in the diamond lanes that don't merge into the left lane to turn and wait until that last possible moment - STOP IT. You're endangering yourselves and others. Use common sense driving that cart.
From your past posts I believe you live in St. James. You've got one in your neighborhood. Yesterday coming home I was on St. Charles northbound and just after the St. James mail stop I passed a golf cart sitting in the cart lane next to the golf course. I was looking to see if he was broken down or something, so I slowed a bit. After I passed he made a left turn onto Calabria from the cart lane. It's so scary to see people who must drive a car, but have no clue how to operate a golf cart among the cars.
Old 01-14-2017, 10:00 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,914 Times in 4,142 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
From your past posts I believe you live in St. James. You've got one in your neighborhood. Yesterday coming home I was on St. Charles northbound and just after the St. James mail stop I passed a golf cart sitting in the cart lane next to the golf course. I was looking to see if he was broken down or something, so I slowed a bit. After I passed he made a left turn onto Calabria from the cart lane. It's so scary to see people who must drive a car, but have no clue how to operate a golf cart among the cars.
They're all over. Yesterday on Belvedere Blvd I came up on a cart stopped in the cart lane with his left turn signal on. While I probably shouldn't have, I came to a dead stop and waved him across--the idea being that no one behind me could cream him (although I could envision some bozo crossing the double yellow line to pass me and hit him anyway). I just don't get it--- cart lanes, RBs, merges---they're not rocket science, why are people oblivious until they find themselves in the hospital, or worse.
Old 01-14-2017, 12:48 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,682 Times in 632 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
the Stop sign is not for stopping at the gate if for stopping at the intersection after the gate.
If the car has to stop at the gate and wait for the gate to open, does the car have also stop at a Stop sign just after the gate? I have never seen a car do that.

After I drive thru the gate, I just keep on going. That is what I see other people doing as well.
Old 01-14-2017, 01:30 PM
Sage

Quote:
If the car has to stop at the gate and wait for the gate to open, does the car have also stop at a Stop sign just after the gate? I have never seen a car do that.

After I drive thru the gate, I just keep on going. That is what I see other people doing as well.
I give----what stop sign AFTER the gate?---haven't seen one (for cars).
Old 01-14-2017, 04:52 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
I give----what stop sign AFTER the gate?---haven't seen one (for cars).
Quote:

I agree. The cart must stop and evaluate when taking the left in front of the gate, not the car. If I am in a car, once the gate has opened I just go (if the coast is clear)

As far as the original topic, I was coming up Odell in my golf car and ahead of me the cart was slowing and then stopped. I stopped behind them and asked (from my cart) if they were ok at which point they took a left
Old 01-14-2017, 06:01 PM
Sage

And now for another first, at least for me. RB at Hillsborough and BV several hours ago----woman stopped dead in the RB and started reading a paper map!!!! A gentle horn reaped a dirty look, but no one finger salute. At least she was a kinder, gentler kind of idiot.
Old 01-14-2017, 06:08 PM
Sage

I've also seen some cars driving on the diamond trails as well. Not sure if the folks driving have a perception issue or if they just are oblivious to the rules of the road. While I'm on that subject cars should never, ever pass on the right if another car or cart is trying to turn left but is waiting for approaching traffic. Why have people forgotten their driver's education lessons??? My contention is people bring their habits with them...they don't just start driving horribly once they get here. I just read a post today on FB, a friend exclaming they hated Wisconsin drivers! I just added that to make my point.
Old 01-14-2017, 08:21 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,562 Times in 508 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
I do and I've seen that possible same person also do the same thing. I always try merge into traffic well before that point I have to turn.

Thursday, I came across "the bridge" on my cart coming from Spanish Springs; a small SUV had exited Morse onto Lake Sumter Landing Rd. and had pulled over to the right of the street just past where the carts turn onto LSL Rd.; I was the 2nd cart in line to exit the MMP and after the traffic passes, the 1st cart turns right and the SUV u-turns and dang near runs into the 1st cart; no turn signal or anything indicating the suv was getting ready to move.

Anytime any of you go out in your cart, PLEASE watch out for vehicles and/or all drivers.

Tags
stop, cart, driving, turn, wait

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.