Storms!!!

Closed Thread
Old 06-22-2014, 03:51 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,943 Times in 796 Posts

Just don't ever take refuge under a tree during a lightning storm.
Old 06-22-2014, 03:57 PM
Veteran member
Location: Chicago, Arlington Hgts, North Aurora, Il. TV since 2002!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allegiance View Post
This wiki page states "Trees are natural lightning conductors and are known to provide protection against lightning damage to nearby buildings by diverting lightning strikes away from structures. Tall trees with high biomass for the root system provide good lightning protection. An example is the teak tree (Tectona grandis). When planted near a building, its height helps to capture the oncoming lightning leader, and the high biomass of the root system helps in dissipation of the lightning's charge.[14]"

Lightning strike - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I have not seen any other info online that states trees are lightning protection for a home. I wonder if its true.

Well while the tree may have taken the hit instead of my house it hit the heart of the tree and proceeded through the ground finding what cable and or wires it could therefore took out items in the house.
Old 06-22-2014, 06:39 PM

Sorry about the storms. I guess when we get there the end of July I have something else to get use to. That might take a little time though. We watch AZ. lighting storms from our patio since we are on the border of Ca. and AZ. Not sure I am going to like being in the middle of the storm, but it's a bit late to change my mind.We are hot 110 today and hotter tomorrow. I think I better go look at a fun thread instead of the scary one here. Oh well I did learn from reading the thread and hopefully I will be more prepared. Stay safe.
Old 06-22-2014, 07:27 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by uprivergirl View Post
Sorry about the storms. I guess when we get there the end of July I have something else to get use to. That might take a little time though. We watch AZ. lighting storms from our patio since we are on the border of Ca. and AZ. Not sure I am going to like being in the middle of the storm, but it's a bit late to change my mind.We are hot 110 today and hotter tomorrow. I think I better go look at a fun thread instead of the scary one here. Oh well I did learn from reading the thread and hopefully I will be more prepared. Stay safe.
Stay hydrated!

One adapts to the storms, but shouldn't minimize the potential for harm. Do the best to protect yourself and your home. At least with weather apps and a weather radio, we know what is approaching. With earthquakes, we never knew when or how severe.
In the over 30 years we lived in southern CA, I can count the number of times I heard thunder on one hand.... Couple of years in northern CA near San Francisco...don't recall thunder and lightening there. Living with the storms here did take a bit of getting use to...
Old 06-22-2014, 07:31 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,557 Times in 1,930 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

I am pretty sure we don't have any Teak trees here in The Villages. I have never heard of a Teak tree, but Teak furniture have to come from somewhere.

. I hate when someone is afraid and I don't blame you. That is a LOT of hits in one area, rdhdleo!
Old 06-22-2014, 07:38 PM

What do you do in your house during a storm? I know not to use water in the sink ,shower or use the landline. I usually turn off and unplug electric stuff. Besides holding a shivering dog I just sit and wait until it moves on...you? .
Old 06-22-2014, 07:42 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauren Sweeny View Post
What do you do in your house during a storm? I know not to use water in the sink ,shower or use the landline. I usually turn off and unplug electric stuff. Besides holding a shivering dog I just sit and wait until it moves on...you? .
I do all the above plus Pray! Oh and pack a bag with important stuff and a change of clothes
Old 06-22-2014, 08:26 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC and John View Post
OK, that's it no solar tubes in my house! I don't like the lightening and close all the blinds and drapes. I do not want to see lightening! I'll live with dark areas in the house. I'll just turn on a light.
I always do my best work in the dark, LOL but............................

having several solar tubes keeps me from turning on a light until it's dark, or if I wake up early in the AM, and the sun hasn't risen.

To each his/her own.

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 06-22-2014, 08:36 PM
Sage

The first week I was in TV, a house burned down in Calumet due to a lightning storm, and it made this person very nervous. If one is new to Fl, there is a period where you go from "frightened out of your mind" to it's just a rainstorm. These two last storms have many people thinking of lightning rods, and surge protection. I know I am.

One must do what gives them peace of mind, in terms of proper protection from storms.

Don't forget, it's only a few homes out of over 56,000 plus homes. On the other hand, if it happened to you, the numbers don't matter, and that is your reality.

I would rest a lot easier if I knew I did, "what was necessary, to protect my home".

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 06-22-2014, 09:03 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauren Sweeny View Post
What I would be doing if there was not a storm.
Old 06-22-2014, 09:11 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,943 Times in 796 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjm1cc View Post
What I would be doing if there was not a storm.
You and my husband. He goes out onto the lanai or the front porch and watches it.

We had the most horrendous storms in Michigan, with the most spectacular lightning. I have yet to see one down here as bad as the ones up there. Or hear thunder as loud. You get used to them and just go on with what you're doing. We have the emergency lighting where we can get to it in the dark. I just don't go outside like my husband does.
Old 06-22-2014, 09:35 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEWRDW View Post
Was there a lightning strike today - Sunday, the 22nd? If so, where?
We had lightning today in Polo Ridge
Old 06-23-2014, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggyone View Post
It seems as though most of the recent lightning strikes on homes have been South of 466A. Is this because there are no trees there and it is just basically flat open land with only the houses sticking up?
Three homes north of 466 have been struck and destroyed and 5 between 466 and 466A and now one south of 466A in the last 10 years. Today's Daily Sun reports minor damage due to lightning strikes in Rio Grande and in Panellas. Remember lightning is highly UNPREDICTABLE!
Old 06-23-2014, 02:32 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
You and my husband. He goes out onto the lanai or the front porch and watches it.

We had the most horrendous storms in Michigan, with the most spectacular lightning. I have yet to see one down here as bad as the ones up there. Or hear thunder as loud. You get used to them and just go on with what you're doing. We have the emergency lighting where we can get to it in the dark. I just don't go outside like my husband does.
I will never get used to the enormous amount of cloud to ground lightning we get here especially after going through what we are now I have a whole new respect for how dangerous they are. We had intense beautiful, yes beautiful storms in Illinois but never anywhere near as much cloud to ground lightning.

I love it here but will never get used to it or be complacent about it.

Last edited by rdhdleo; 07-04-2014 at 07:56 PM.
Old 06-23-2014, 03:00 PM

WOW, very scary and very real! We are having the BEST SPRING in a long time in NY and yet we are driving to TV in a wk. Better prepare myself.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.