Strange Happenings

Closed Thread
Old 01-06-2012, 06:32 PM
Gold member
Default Strange Happenings

Today my neighbor across the street who has lived there for 6 years as have we told me that my garage door opener was now opening and closing his garage door. He said this has been going on for about a week. In the past 6 years this has never happened. As far as his controller it does not open and close my garage door. I believe he is going to reprogram his garage door but I was wondering whether I'm at fault even though I haven't reprogrammed my controller. Anyone else have this same problem and if so what did you do about it.

John

"Don't curse the darkness when you can light a candle"
Old 01-06-2012, 07:41 PM
Gold member

Weird, but no, it is not your fault. Newer garage door openers have something called rolling code technology. This is where the code is constantly changing between the opener and the remote. Maybe it coincidentally programmed yours and his with the same code. They will change so I wouldn't expect for that to happen for very long
Old 01-06-2012, 08:11 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauld315 View Post
Weird, but no, it is not your fault. Newer garage door openers have something called rolling code technology. This is where the code is constantly changing between the opener and the remote. Maybe it coincidentally programmed yours and his with the same code. They will change so I wouldn't expect for that to happen for very long
What is a new garage door opener. We have each been here for over 6 years. I wonder what the purpose of rolling code technology is? BTW, thanx for the reply.

John

Old 01-06-2012, 08:29 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrheydt View Post
Today my neighbor across the street who has lived there for 6 years as have we told me that my garage door opener was now opening and closing his garage door. He said this has been going on for about a week. In the past 6 years this has never happened. As far as his controller it does not open and close my garage door. I believe he is going to reprogram his garage door but I was wondering whether I'm at fault even though I haven't reprogrammed my controller. Anyone else have this same problem and if so what did you do about it.

John
Have you verified for yourself that your garage door opener does, in fact, open and close his garage door or are you just taking his word for it?

"Live life while you're alive, because when you're dead, you're dead a long time".- Roland Michael Curtis
Old 01-06-2012, 09:03 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauld315 View Post
When I was programming my car to accept the code, I called Ro-Mac and they told me that our opener did not have the rolling code. That was in January or February 2010.

A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress." - John Adams
Old 01-06-2012, 09:59 PM
Eternal Member
Location: Formerly Refrigerated in Upstate NY, Now in village near Colony Plaza

This reminded me of the old Nationwide commercial:

http://youtu.be/aQaKRaAus_I?hd=1
"SMILE... TOMORROW MAY BE EVEN WORSE!"
Old 01-06-2012, 10:36 PM
Sage

When my Mom-in-law lived in the Village of Sabal Chase, she discovered her garage door was being opened by another opener on her street. Took a little bit, but eventually she discovered who's opener was operating her system. When she moved to Caroline, it happened once again, but this time it was her next door neighbor's opener. Mike reprogrammed things in each instance.
Old 01-06-2012, 10:43 PM
Veteran member

A couple of years ago we actually had a 3-way going in our neighborhood! We'd fix one only to have another get spooky. Finally had to call someone to come and perform an exorcism.

Also: Wheeling, WV * Youngstown, OH* Niles, OH * Oshkosh, WI * Ft. Worth, TX * Da Bronx * Marathon, NY * Bricktown, NJ * Newark, DE * San Antonio, TX * Washington, DC * Tacoma, WA
Old 01-07-2012, 06:28 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirigo View Post
Have you verified for yourself that your garage door opener does, in fact, open and close his garage door or are you just taking his word for it?
Yes, I verified it with a couple of openers I had.

John

Old 01-07-2012, 06:40 AM
Veteran member
Location: Reading, Pa, The Villages, Reading, Pa, The Villages until the end.

When we lived in Sable Chase we had the same problem. More than once we came home and the garage door was open and my wife blamed me for not closing when we left. I reprogramed the opener, then a different neighbor's remote opened our door. I reprogramed the opener again, then a different neighbor's remote opened our door. I reprogramed it a third time and the problem was solved.

Since we moved to Glenbrook we haven't had any problem. Knock on wood.
Old 01-07-2012, 06:58 AM
Eternal Member

I had the problem a long time ago. At all times of day and night my garage door would be open when I know I did not do it. I just changed the code on my remotes and it hasn't happened since.

Second star to the right, then straight on 'til morning.
Old 01-07-2012, 07:24 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by another Linda View Post
A couple of years ago we actually had a 3-way going in our neighborhood! We'd fix one only to have another get spooky. Finally had to call someone to come and perform an exorcism.
hmmmm. Did it ruin any marriages?
Old 01-07-2012, 07:31 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
hmmmm. Did it ruin any marriages?
No, but the garage doors are going to jail for lewd and lascivious behavior! Opening their doors to strangers!
Old 01-07-2012, 07:39 AM

We had the same thing happen with a ceiling fan once. We thought we had a ghost because the fan kept going on and off until DH reprogrammed the fan
Old 01-07-2012, 07:51 AM
Sage
Default Help from hubby

Quote:
Originally Posted by another Linda View Post
My husband suggests that perhaps (generally speaking) if you had the same code and you press the open or close, it sends out a signal probably for 500 feet or so. If someone's garage door opener has the same code, obviously it is going to open or close their door.....or your door.

Take a step ladder and go up to your garage door opener; remove the cover.
You will see a series of about ten dip switches. A dip switch is a rocker switch in on or off position........like in your fuse box.

Simply by moving any one of those, you change the code. You now have to reprogram your car to the new code to open and close your door. Either one of you can do it. It's a few seconds work. You'll find out if you are on someone elses code by pressing your button and watching if anyone elses door opens and closes in the neighborhood...................of course this could become a vicious cycle.

Before you do ANYTHING, write down the code before you change anything, in case you want to go back to it.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.