Strange occurrence-- food drive by.

Closed Thread
Old 11-20-2010, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barb1191 View Post
A good one, George....and you beat Pturner to the play on words.....b
Thanks Barb and Taltarzac. Although I made a joke (that's just me) I think this is a very serious subject and I appreciate that Taltarzac brought it to our attention and that we have a site like this to get the news out. I've been lurking for awhile and feel like I already know some of you!
Old 11-20-2010, 09:09 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip2MySue View Post
PT, you must be working hard on your diet cause you didn't mention anything about wanting to take a picture of the food
S2
Old 11-21-2010, 12:09 AM
Eternal Member
Unhappy

So much for our gated community!

Rescuing one cat may not change the world, BUT for that one cat, the whole world will change.
Old 11-21-2010, 07:28 AM
Gold member

times are tuff for a lot of people. Maybe just trying to make a buck.Do not think they are trying anything fishy. people that break into houses use other means. Very few canvas the area.
Old 11-21-2010, 07:42 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeT View Post
A new meaning to "Meat and greet"
Love it!
Old 11-21-2010, 07:46 AM
Taltarzac
Wink

Maybe, this is what happened to the elk?
Old 11-21-2010, 08:06 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac View Post
Something odd just happened.

We have two neighbors on one side with the same name. Say Michael for instance.

A white fan with what looked like two 35-50 women stopped by in front of our house.

One of the women-- maybe 35-- came to the door from the driver's side and asked if we wanted some free food left over from the delivery to Michael. Both Michaels have their names on the signs near their lamp posts. She asked if we not notify Michael though about the free food. Neither Michael though needs a food delivery service as far as I know.

This is seafood she said.

She then offered beef for $2 a lb.

She went packing after a "No thanks" to her two offers.

She then made the same offer to our neighbor on the other side of the house from the Michaels. This information is from a telephone call to our next door neighbor.

He wanted nothing to do with this either-- smelling something fishy.

The white van then continued down the street across a major road in the Villages where I could not see where it was going.

I did not take down the license plate of the white van.

I did not report it to Villages Community Watch either but it maybe something to watch out for. The white van did not look like it was refrigerated.

It was just an ordinary white soccer mom like van.

Someone will check with the Michael(s) in case the women just read the names from the lamp posts and were just soliciting meat in the Villages.
I have heard that happens at Katie Belles sometimes......

Seriously, it sounds like it should be reported for soliciting. You are not allowed to do that.

We had that happen in our neighborhood in West Chester, and they used a neighbors name as someone they had sold too. It was frozen meat and fish too.

I hope it wasn't anyone trying to steal something but I would guess they were trying to sell food, but who knows what quality? Yuck!

Last edited by graciegirl; 11-21-2010 at 08:12 AM.
Old 11-21-2010, 11:33 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeT View Post
A new meaning to "Meat and greet"
Thanks for the laugh.

This reminds me of the tv show, In Living Color with the "home boy shopping network" that sold goods out of the back of a truck.

One would have to be concerned if the meat were safe to eat.
Old 11-21-2010, 12:54 PM
Sage

Posters who stated that this has happened to them in other states peaked my curiosity. I googled the issue and got quite a few hits about this "scam".

The gist is that the back story about an unfulfilled order is a lie. It's intent is to get people to make a snap decision, thinking they are getting a good price. Actually, any takers would be overpaying for very poor quality meat or fish.

Here is one such link. It's from the Iowa Attorney General's office:

http://www.iowa.gov/government/ag/co...eat_Scams.html
Old 11-21-2010, 01:10 PM
Taltarzac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pturner View Post
Posters who stated that this has happened to them in other states peaked my curiosity. I googled the issue and got quite a few hits about this "scam".

The gist is that the back story about an unfulfilled order is a lie. It's intent is to get people to make a snap decision, thinking they are getting a good price. Actually, any takers would be overpaying for very poor quality meat or fish.

Here is one such link. It's from the Iowa Attorney General's office:

http://www.iowa.gov/government/ag/co...eat_Scams.html
Thanks. PTurner. Have not talked to the neighbors on the other side-- the two Michaels side-by-side-- but will eventually.

The woman who came to our door claimed that she had a delivery for the Michael next door but had some left over. I doubt seriously if there was any such delivery.

She also made it sound like the neighbor was getting some kind of meals on wheels delivery.

She was very rattled at the door and kept changing terms and the like. First the seafood was free then the beef was $2 a lb.

Sounds like what the Iowa AG warned about in your linked web-site. I read about a similar scam in towns in Texas except that in TX it sounded like they were pumping the meat with some kind of fluid to make it weigh more.

Last edited by Taltarzac725; 11-21-2010 at 01:12 PM.
Old 11-21-2010, 06:51 PM
Taltarzac

Some bridge partners in the Lynnhaven area mentioned that they had bought these steaks from a man with the same "delivery" pitch but they were happy they only bought a few because they were not very good.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.