Strange occurrence-- food drive by.

Closed Thread
Old 11-20-2010, 02:41 PM
Taltarzac
Default Strange occurrence-- food drive by.

Something odd just happened.

We have two neighbors on one side with the same name. Say Michael for instance.

A white fan with what looked like two 35-50 women stopped by in front of our house.

One of the women-- maybe 35-- came to the door from the driver's side and asked if we wanted some free food left over from the delivery to Michael. Both Michaels have their names on the signs near their lamp posts. She asked if we not notify Michael though about the free food. Neither Michael though needs a food delivery service as far as I know.

This is seafood she said.

She then offered beef for $2 a lb.

She went packing after a "No thanks" to her two offers.

She then made the same offer to our neighbor on the other side of the house from the Michaels. This information is from a telephone call to our next door neighbor.

He wanted nothing to do with this either-- smelling something fishy.

The white van then continued down the street across a major road in the Villages where I could not see where it was going.

I did not take down the license plate of the white van.

I did not report it to Villages Community Watch either but it maybe something to watch out for. The white van did not look like it was refrigerated.

It was just an ordinary white soccer mom like van.

Someone will check with the Michael(s) in case the women just read the names from the lamp posts and were just soliciting meat in the Villages.

Last edited by Taltarzac725; 11-20-2010 at 03:24 PM.
Old 11-20-2010, 02:51 PM
Sage

Thanks for the info. As it has been said, "There's no such thing as a free lunch." Wonder who they are?

Any reason you didn't call Neighborhood Watch? If I see them on my street, I'll give NW a call.
Old 11-20-2010, 02:52 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,394 Times in 2,405 Posts

That has happened to us twice.
Old 11-20-2010, 03:19 PM
Gold member
Default food

This happened in our neighborhood in Tampa a few times. Same story, picked a name on a sign post up the street. They are phony, sometimes they just want to get a look into your house to see if there's anything in there that they might want to help themselves to that a later time. When law enforcement was called they said they could not do anything unless you had a Do Not Solicit sign in your own window. However they would quickly leave when the law showed up.
Old 11-20-2010, 03:22 PM
Taltarzac

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooh View Post
Thanks for the info. As it has been said, "There's no such thing as a free lunch." Wonder who they are?

Any reason you didn't call Neighborhood Watch? If I see them on my street, I'll give NW a call.
I did not take down the license plate so all I have to report would be a white van with two women in it. The woman who came to the door was not carrying any food.

I was hoping that the van would stop at our neighbor down the street who is a District rep of some kind. He would probably make a citizen's arrest if he thought anything was off. It did not stop on that side of the street.

Last edited by Taltarzac725; 11-20-2010 at 03:26 PM.
Old 11-20-2010, 03:22 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudder View Post
This happened in our neighborhood in Tampa a few times. Same story, picked a name on a sign post up the street. They are phony, sometimes they just want to get a look into your house to see if there's anything in there that they might want to help themselves to that a later time. When law enforcement was called they said they could not do anything unless you had a Do Not Solicit sign in your own window. However they would quickly leave when the law showed up.
If I recall correctly, there are NO Soliciting signs at the gate houses? If so, we're covered.
Old 11-20-2010, 04:55 PM
Sage

Tal,
Thanks for reporting it here.

Now that we are forewarned, if any of us gets a similar unexpected knock on the door, here's a suggestion:

Answer the door with camera or camera phone in hand. If solicited, snap a photo, then decline the offer. If you don't feel threatened, follow them to their vehicle and snap a photo of their license tag.

I suspect they will leave without bothering any of your neighbors. I'd still report it to Community Watch.

The other option is to hold them down 'till Gracie, Red and I can come over and beat the crap out of them.
Old 11-20-2010, 05:25 PM

Had the same thing happen in our neighborhood (Sabal Chase). Two latinos came up the driveway, we were working in the flowers out front, said they had some beef leftover from a delivery and didn't want to go back to the warehouse to drop it off. About 25 frozen steaks, patties, etc. for $150. We don't eat that much beef. They went on down the street. . . I didn't know who to contact, since Neighborhood Watch says they aren't responsible for that kind of thing. We also have a large number of folks riding bikes, walking dogs, jogging and in general, just nosing down the cartpath on the golf course behind our house. Reported to clubhouse - nothing done about it! Guess we all just deal with things ourselves.
Old 11-20-2010, 05:30 PM

A new meaning to "Meat and greet"

Last edited by GeorgeT; 11-20-2010 at 05:34 PM.
Old 11-20-2010, 07:01 PM
Taltarzac

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeT View Post

Very funny!

The women who were in the white van that came to our house were both white. The one who came to the door was rather heavy, brunette and maybe 35. The one in the passenger seat was older and blonde. She looked about 45 or older.
Old 11-20-2010, 07:16 PM
Eternal Member
Send a message via AIM to barb1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeT View Post
A good one, George....and you beat Pturner to the play on words.....b

Most people walk in and out of your life, but FRIENDS leave footprints in your heart.

"Being kind is more important than being right." By Andy Rooney
Old 11-20-2010, 07:39 PM
Gold member
Default Pooh

Even tho there are no soliciting signs at the gates, we were told in Tampa that basically means nothing unless you have one on your house. Could be different here, maybe it is a county thing?
Old 11-20-2010, 07:46 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudder View Post
Even tho there are no soliciting signs at the gates, we were told in Tampa that basically means nothing unless you have one on your house. Could be different here, maybe it is a county thing?
I had one on my house in CA and it only seemed to work in keeping the little Girl Scouts with the cookies away...rats! I'd see them walk up to the door, see the sign and then head away. I'd have to go after them to buy those delicious, great frozen, Thin Mints!!!
Old 11-20-2010, 07:48 PM
Veteran member

This is an old trick that they often pull in New York. Some meat "accidentally" falls off the back of a truck. Of course I'm being sarcastic. Someone has either stolen it or for some reason it was rejected (perhaps e coli or not kept under proper refrigeration). Then these lovely folks sell it a very cheap prices and those that buy it take their chances.
Old 11-20-2010, 07:56 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brostholder View Post
This is an old trick that they often pull in New York. Some meat "accidentally" falls off the back of a truck. Of course I'm being sarcastic. Someone has either stolen it or for some reason it was rejected (perhaps e coli or not kept under proper refrigeration). Then these lovely folks sell it a very cheap prices and those that buy it take their chances.
Just tell them you're a vegetarian....hehehehehe

New Jersey,
New York
Germany,
California
Northern MN,
The Villages
Next stop?
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.