Straws!

Closed Thread
Old 07-26-2018, 05:20 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNoMore View Post
Do you have a (different) link showing something about "research from a 9 year old kid"...much less anything about "methodology?"

Because the link you provided, certainly doesn't say anything about..."research or methodology."
Anti straw movement based on unverified statistic of 500 million a day

NBC News backs off fishy statistic about plastic straws from research by 9-year-old boy | Fox News
Old 07-26-2018, 05:21 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
My bamboo straws are on the way. They come with a brush cleaner and a cloth storage sac. I'd be happy to share them with all the people who are scared of the germs they might encounter on glasses without straws.
You suck...

...in a very good and responsible way.

Old 07-26-2018, 05:23 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNoMore View Post
You suck...

...in a very good and responsible way.

More links;

How a 9-Year-Old Boy’s Statistic Shaped a Debate on Straws - The New York Times

Meet the boy who launched the movement to ban plastic straws eight years ago in Vermont | Daily Mail Online

Anti straw movement based on unverified statistic of 500 million a day

One Child's Outsized Influence On The Debate Over Plastic Straws : NPR

Last edited by graciegirl; 07-26-2018 at 05:29 PM.
Old 07-26-2018, 05:40 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Here's the point: one straw is one too many.

"Through his research, Cress estimated Americans use about 500 million straws — including clear plastic straws, bendy straws, straws on juice boxes, cocktail straws and plastic drink stirrers — every day, a number that has been cited by many publications including the Wall Street Journal and the Washington Post in recent coverage about the wave of plastic straw bans by major corporations like Starbucks. Some have said his number is too high, while others say it’s too low. But Cress, now 17, says that’s not the point.

“'I think getting stuck on what the exact number is sort of misses the point of my project, which is to reduce our use and waste of straws,' he tells MONEY. 'I think we could improve on pretty much any number as long as we’re continuing to waste plastic. Any number is too high.'"

Meet the Kid Who Came Up With the 500 Million Straws Statistic | Money

The bottom line is we're heaping non degradable stuff into our landfills needlessly. It's time to change our habits, from straws to bottled water.
Old 07-26-2018, 10:17 PM

Wake up people. Straws, shopping bags, styrofoam and a thousand other things are destroying our planet. It is cause for concern. As responsible people we should do what we can to prevent future generations from dying because of our indifference. You may not believe it's true, but what if it is? An island of garbage is not part of nature. And just because some other countries aren't working towards a cleaner world is no excuse for us not to do what we can. We are Americans and have always led the world. Let's keep leading. Keep the Earth alive.
Old 07-27-2018, 04:58 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yung Dum View Post
Wake up people. Straws, shopping bags, styrofoam and a thousand other things are destroying our planet. It is cause for concern. As responsible people we should do what we can to prevent future generations from dying because of our indifference. You may not believe it's true, but what if it is? An island of garbage is not part of nature. And just because some other countries aren't working towards a cleaner world is no excuse for us not to do what we can. We are Americans and have always led the world. Let's keep leading. Keep the Earth alive.

Outstanding post!
Old 07-27-2018, 06:44 AM
Sage

Quote:
I cannot think of any person who would disagree with your post. It is a wonderful tribute to your kindness and your caring heart and to the good in all people.

But until someone, and I think it will happen, comes up with biodegradable plastic, nothing much will change. I think that the issue of not using straws is a tiny step that won't ever amount to a hill of beans. And this issue underscores the basic difference in all of the political rhetoric today. One side accuses the other of being selfish, shortsighted and hateful. One side is much more vocal. One side is often very unrealistic.

We cannot legislate morality. We cannot MAKE anyone do the right thing....except for parents raising children under five. And that ship has sailed. Most small children are now given over to people that the parents would not trust their car keys with.

Back to global warming; I know of no one that doesn't believe that the ozone layer is in danger, that carbon fuel is the culprit and that something needs to be done. There is climate change, undoubtedly. I don't believe in our country joining other countries who don't do anything but take our money is going to help one tiny bit. It is all talk and money drain for this country. I would rather see the money go to research that would find a way to make plastic biodegradable, or improve the ozone layer, or squelch volcanoes and stop forest fires. That CAN be done.

We each have to do what we think is best. Each person take care of himself and their family. Each country take care of themselves. We cannot control the world. Every little bit helps the old lady said as she peed in the sea.

Last edited by graciegirl; 07-27-2018 at 07:33 AM.
Old 07-27-2018, 09:31 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

Quote:
Well said and appreciated.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Old 07-27-2018, 10:27 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,178 Times in 1,935 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cisco Kid View Post
How about the lemon they put in your tea. Do you think it clean before it went in.
What about the currency you just paid the hot dog vendor and then ate the hot dog without washing your hands? Ever think about how many people have handled one single dollar bill? Or a quarter?
Old 07-27-2018, 11:52 AM
Sage

Quote:
Wake up people. Straws, shopping bags, styrofoam and a thousand other things are destroying our planet. It is cause for concern. As responsible people we should do what we can to prevent future generations from dying because of our indifference. You may not believe it's true, but what if it is?
An island of garbage is not part of nature. And just because some other countries aren't working towards a cleaner world is no excuse for us not to do what we can. We are Americans and have always led the world. Let's keep leading. Keep the Earth alive.
Outstanding post, and beautifully written.
Old 07-27-2018, 12:21 PM
Sage

The other thing I just read in a Norwegian study is that within 5 months 90% of the new plastics addition to the ocean ends up on sea bed, and another 8% is submerged. Plastic ends up on the ocean floor - SINTEF

And it's being broken down into tiny particles, which collect algae and thus smell like food, Ocean Life Eats Tons of Plastic—Here’s Why That Matters are being consumed by fish, which are being consumed by bigger fish, and on up the scale, until it's finally consumed by us eating fish.

There is so much microscopic plastic particulate in the air, BTW, that we are breathing it.

All the research is there.
Old 07-27-2018, 08:53 PM
Soaring Eagle member

While I believe every litter bit hurts, straws are such a minuscule part of the problem. You give up plastic water bottles and coffe Kpods and I will give up my straw.
Old 07-27-2018, 09:48 PM

I grew up with paper straws an they worked just fine. Let’s just go n that direction
Old 07-28-2018, 01:50 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by perrjojo View Post
While I believe every litter bit hurts, straws are such a minuscule part of the problem. You give up plastic water bottles and coffe Kpods and I will give up my straw.
I gave up plastic water bottles years ago and never would use Kpods. I have my own straw--an old sturdy plastic one that I've been reusing for six years. There are reasonable substitutes for water bottles and straws. Others have already gone before you, so the ball's in your court!

Kpods taste like instant coffee to me. It takes two minutes to set up a coffee pot.
Old 07-28-2018, 06:58 AM
Sage
Default All kinds of ways.

A beloved family member who faithfully does a number of things environmentalists discuss to save the planet, has lived in her home that is full of spots not insulated well for ten years, and spent a lot of dollars on fuel that could have been saved if she had her home insulated.

Sometimes practical things that make us more comfortable are good for the earth as well. They don't use fuel as much. Sometimes, I believe people become fixated on their focus and then it becomes sort of like churches saying their path is the only way. And like the women of the Pharisees, don't preach and say how virtuous you are, just do it. Pithing people off never gains a recruit. I am not much for most activism like marches.

I very much took in the research that CFrance posted above on small fish eating bits of plastic. That is something to think about for sure.

We were in Baltimore this month and saw this amazing device that removes six tons of trash a day from Chesapeake harbor;
video of water wheel in baltimore harbor that removes trash. - Bing video Look at this very long and you will cut back on plastic for sure.

Last edited by graciegirl; 07-28-2018 at 07:17 AM.
Closed Thread

Tags
straws, hold, back, servers, garbage

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.