Street has 40 homes- why are house numbers 4 digits?

Closed Thread
Old 11-24-2022, 07:18 PM
Default Street has 40 homes- why are house numbers 4 digits?

Just curious if there is a system used to number house addresses. Why would a street with 40 homes have addresses like 3245 rather than numbers 1 through 40?
Old 11-25-2022, 06:34 AM

Because numbering usually starts at a point in community and increases the further out a building is from that point.
Old 11-25-2022, 07:47 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,043 Times in 731 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchad View Post
Because numbering usually starts at a point in community and increases the further out a building is from that point.
WRONG

Street numbers are typically designated by a City, Town or Development Authority (in cooperation with local government) to simplify addresses and to avoid confusion for (2) entities ... public safety and the U.S. Post Office.

In some cases, the 1st number or 2, with be a region/area locator, followed by a sequential number on the particular street (with gaps left for future expansion and the typical even/odd sides of the street).

I don't know how The Village numbering system works, but I can assure you, it was designed with public safety and convenience in mind.
Old 11-25-2022, 08:09 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsloan1960 View Post
Just curious if there is a system used to number house addresses. Why would a street with 40 homes have addresses like 3245 rather than numbers 1 through 40?
Interestingly, there is a street near Bonifay named Mockingbird Lane, and on google maps there is actually a house numbered 1313. I wanted to drive by on Halloween, but I was afraid Herman and Grandpa would be waiting
Old 11-25-2022, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianL99 View Post
WRONG

Street numbers are typically designated by a City, Town or Development Authority (in cooperation with local government) to simplify addresses and to avoid confusion for (2) entities ... public safety and the U.S. Post Office.

In some cases, the 1st number or 2, with be a region/area locator, followed by a sequential number on the particular street (with gaps left for future expansion and the typical even/odd sides of the street).

I don't know how The Village numbering system works, but I can assure you, it was designed with public safety and convenience in mind.
So they decide to start numbering at some point for some reason and then in some increasing sequencing fashion from that point?
Old 11-25-2022, 08:11 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Our numbers jump by 100 every time a side road joins - makes it quicker to find a particular number if it is some way down the street

Or maybe the system is sponsored by the hardware stores :-)
Old 11-25-2022, 08:50 AM
Gold member

Just be happy you don't live in Marion County where the street addresses are all 5 digit plus a directional abbreviation and number and then the street name!

"I wish I didn't know now, what I didn't know then"
-Bob Seger-
Old 11-25-2022, 08:53 AM

Quote:
I'll answer this as if it's a serious question...

You generally have a major east-west street and north-south street near the center of a city. As you go north from the east-west street, the house numbers increase from 1 or some small number. As you go south, they increase in a likewise manner. Same thing as you go east or west from the north-south street where that numbering starts.

Bonus information: House numbers on one side of the street will be even numbers, and on the other side...odd numbers!
Old 11-25-2022, 10:38 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,019 Times in 1,745 Posts

I thought it was done on purpose to keep the FedEx guy guessing as to where you might actually live.
Old 11-25-2022, 10:57 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Some areas build logic into the numbers. Maybe distance from a point, same street name used elsewhere with lower or higher numbers etc. Go to your county web site and try researching.
Old 11-25-2022, 11:03 AM
Gold member

Because 5 digits costs more than 4
Old 11-25-2022, 11:07 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,043 Times in 731 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by djlnc View Post

You generally have a major east-west street and north-south street near the center of a city. As you go north from the east-west street, the house numbers increase from 1 or some small number. As you go south, they increase in a likewise manner. Same thing as you go east or west from the north-south street where that numbering starts.

Bonus information: House numbers on one side of the street will be even numbers, and on the other side...odd numbers!
I've been in most every major city in the USA and I've never seen a system like that. Street #'s may increase in that way, not house numbers. Every city/town adopts it's own numbering system, based on convenience and safety. If a house/building number consist of more than 3 or 4 numbers, the preceding numbers are likely a "grid #" of one sort or another.
Old 11-25-2022, 11:27 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,043 Times in 369 Posts

Quote:
I've been in most every major city in the USA and I've never seen a system like that. Street #'s may increase in that way, not house numbers. Every city/town adopts it's own numbering system, based on convenience and safety. If a house/building number consist of more than 3 or 4 numbers, the preceding numbers are likely a "grid #" of one sort or another.
Columbus Ohio is exactly like that. Everything starts at Broad Street and High Street. Numerical Streets and Avenues get higher as you move out of downtown,, as do the house numbers, until you get to unincorporated areas. Also, even numbered addresses are on the east side of north/south routes, and even numbered addresses are on the north side of east/west routes.
Old 11-25-2022, 11:51 AM

Quote:
So the WalMart at 7818 W. Colonial (west of I-4) and the Dairy Queen at 7825 E. Colonial (east of I-4) are something like 10 miles apart in Orlando, but in the same grid?
Old 11-25-2022, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djlnc View Post

Why wouldn't be a serious question? We have about 30 homes on our street in Mass. The house number begin with 2 and go up to 50. The remaining 20 numbers would be assigned to the empty lots if homes were to be built.

Tags
street, house, addresses, numbers, homes

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.