Street Names

Closed Thread
Old 07-25-2010, 04:37 PM
Sage

Note the street listing has a column "MC ID" that has Street names SE 173rd, SE 80th, etc

TV Homes in Marion County have two address names such as:

12345 SE 176th Abbey Lane

Marion County has a county wide address system (that is just weird); all streets are named SE (or SW or NE etc) 176th or 2nd or 80th etc. It is normal that a street named SE 123th is next to a street named SE 35th etc no rhyme or reason for the number designation or location.

I believe TV made a special deal with the county to add the alpha names to the streets in TV.

Da Chicago So Side; The Village of Park Forest, IL; 3/7 Cav, 3rd Inf Div, Schweinfurt, Ger 65-66; MACV J12 Saigon 66-67; San Leandro, Hayward & Union City, CA (San Francisco East Bay Area) GO DUBS ! (aka W's)
Old 07-25-2010, 06:22 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

I live on a "road." It's really kind of embarassing to say you live on a road that two city blocks long.

One of the things I love/hate is the fact that many of the streets in Santo Domingo, Rio Grande, Palo Alto, et al. are not Spanish names but Italian. Methinks someone didn't know the difference but it does give TV a sad sense of illiteracy (like Dutchess rather than Duchess) and, at the same time, adds some humor.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 07-26-2010, 05:38 AM
Veteran member

LOL, my favorite is one I saw the other day ...Guido Drive.....you are correct, they don't know Spanish from Italian.
Old 07-26-2010, 06:03 AM
Veteran member

The roads in our development up north are named after golf courses. The original name of our street was Shinnecock Hills. After hearing the sub-contractors purposely mispronounce the street name, the developer quickly changed it to Sun Valley Lane. We're happier with the new name.

Last edited by philnpat; 07-26-2010 at 06:42 AM. Reason: addition
Old 07-26-2010, 06:48 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by salpal View Post
LOL, my favorite is one I saw the other day ...Guido Drive.....you are correct, they don't know Spanish from Italian.
I think that's rude. Looks to me like there was never a good meaning of that word:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guido_%28slang%29
Old 07-26-2010, 11:34 AM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckinca View Post
TV Homes in Marion County have two address names such as:

12345 SE 176th Abbey Lane

Marion County has a county wide address system (that is just weird); all streets are named SE (or SW or NE etc) 176th or 2nd or 80th etc. It is normal that a street named SE 123th is next to a street named SE 35th etc no rhyme or reason for the number designation or location.

I believe TV made a special deal with the county to add the alpha names to the streets in TV.

I live in Marion county. My understanding is that the direction (SE, etc) and the number (91st, etc) is for fire and police call directions.

I know it is very confusing and thank the Lord we were allowed to have alpha names added.

It is really fun when you have to give a company your address on the telephone.

Second star to the right, then straight on 'til morning.
Old 07-26-2010, 11:58 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb8tpw View Post
1. ADVERTISEMENTS: What was the name of the finicky eater in the Nine Lives cat food commercial?
2. LITERATURE: Who is the author of the best-seller "Roots"?
3. TELEVISION: What was the setting for the "I Dream of Jeannie" TV show?
4. GEOGRAPHY: What was the Netherlands basic currency before it adopted the euro?
5. ABBREVIATED TITLES: Whar is an MP?
6. ARCHITECTURE: Who designed St Paul's Cathedral in London?
7. HOLIDAYS: What holiday is celebrated on July 14th?
8. MOVIES: In "Forest Gump", what was the nickname of Forrest's best friend in the Army?
9. ASTRONOMY: What is the first planet beyond Saturn in our solar system?
10. MEASUREMENTS: What does the Mercalli Scale measure?

1. Morris 2. Alex Haley 3. Cocoa Beach, FL 4. The guilder 5. Member of Parliament 6. Sir Christopher Wren 7. Bastille Day 8. Bubba 9. Uranus 10. Intensity of earthquakes

See what you have to look forward to in the Daily Sun? Seriously, I haven't read a daily newspaper (too liberal) for many years, but I'm kinda getting use to a daily read of the Daily Sun. Prior to our arrival I read it daily on the internet, while checking out TOTV. I consider it an integral part of the "villages package". In a straw poll I'll still rate TOTV anead of the paper for usefullness, creativeness and crammed with important information, unlike the trivia above......
you're suppose to print the answers upside down.
Old 07-26-2010, 02:31 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb8tpw View Post
... My street (oops, Run I mean) is Baldwin and it crosses Bassinger Ct. Must have been reviewing movies that day in the design shop...
Could've been worse. You might have ended up on the corner of Holmes and Lovelace!!
Old 07-26-2010, 02:44 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by zcaveman View Post
I live in Marion county. My understanding is that the direction (SE, etc) and the number (91st, etc) is for fire and police call directions.

How do the Police and Fire people find SE 91st when it is right after SE 23rd which is just after SE 199th?

Da Chicago So Side; The Village of Park Forest, IL; 3/7 Cav, 3rd Inf Div, Schweinfurt, Ger 65-66; MACV J12 Saigon 66-67; San Leandro, Hayward & Union City, CA (San Francisco East Bay Area) GO DUBS ! (aka W's)
Old 07-26-2010, 03:48 PM
Veteran member

I agree Russ, it is rude, surprised no one ever complained.....
Old 07-26-2010, 08:24 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
How do the Police and Fire people find SE 91st when it is right after SE 23rd which is just after SE 199th?

After spending about an hour on Google to find the answer, the only thing I can tell you is there are a lot of states with a Marion county. Tomorrow I will stop at the EMS station (or whatever it is called) up near our mailstop and ask them.

More tomorrow.

Z

Old 07-26-2010, 09:17 PM
Sage

Quote:
Excellent question, Chukinca! As a Marioner, I'd love to see them abolish the silly, non-consecutive number names.

Quote:
...Tomorrow I will stop at the EMS station (or whatever it is called) up near our mailstop and ask them.

More tomorrow.

Z
Thanks Z. Can't wait to find out what you learn.
Old 07-26-2010, 09:46 PM
Gold member

Quote:

I bet GPS is used a lot by fire, police etc. to find homes throughout TV.
Old 07-27-2010, 07:33 AM
Taltarzac
Default Some examples of the Italian street names, please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwitch View Post
I live on a "road." It's really kind of embarassing to say you live on a road that two city blocks long.

One of the things I love/hate is the fact that many of the streets in Santo Domingo, Rio Grande, Palo Alto, et al. are not Spanish names but Italian. Methinks someone didn't know the difference but it does give TV a sad sense of illiteracy (like Dutchess rather than Duchess) and, at the same time, adds some humor.
I would like to see some examples of the Italian names in these Villages. Most of the ones I looked at on the Villages' map appear to be Spanish. Maybe, they ran out of Spanish street names and had to add some Italian ones??
Old 07-27-2010, 08:52 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
After spending about an hour on Google to find the answer, the only thing I can tell you is there are a lot of states with a Marion county. Tomorrow I will stop at the EMS station (or whatever it is called) up near our mailstop and ask them.

More tomorrow.

Z
I stopped by the EMS station and they had no idea. They a a part of TV. I will try the police station or the fire station down at 42 and BV tomorrow.

Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.