Strong sewage smell in Charlotte

Closed Thread
Old 09-21-2015, 10:52 PM
Gold member
Location: Philadelphia & Lower Gwynedd, PA, Ocean City, NJ, Wesley Chapel, FL and The Village of St. James
Default Strong sewage smell in Charlotte

Question ... I have been smelling a strong sewage smell in different parts of Charlotte over the past week. Last Thursday, I could smell it in the villa's which backs up to Morse. This evening around 7:00pm, I smelled it on Charlotte at Yarsborough, by the large pond. Can anyone shed light on what may be the cause.
Old 09-21-2015, 11:29 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phanatic Luvr View Post
Question ... I have been smelling a strong sewage smell in different parts of Charlotte over the past week. Last Thursday, I could smell it in the villa's which backs up to Morse. This evening around 7:00pm, I smelled it on Charlotte at Yarsborough, by the large pond. Can anyone shed light on what may be the cause.
We used to smell a similar smell in Hadley and it turned out to be the water from the sprinklers. I think they use pond or reclaimed water for the sprinklers.
Old 09-22-2015, 06:33 AM
Gold member

Many times it IS the sprinklers as the water coming from them is gray water...reclaimed, but not a danger to us...just don't drink it or swim in it... :-)
Old 09-22-2015, 06:46 AM

I think it was more than just sprinklers on the way down to Rt 44 at about 430 pm it was really bad yesterday.
Old 09-22-2015, 07:01 AM

We smelled it too but thought it was the smell of sulfur water as the sprinklers were on. We rolled up the windows as it was powerful.
Old 09-22-2015, 07:40 AM
Gold member
Location: Philadelphia & Lower Gwynedd, PA, Ocean City, NJ, Wesley Chapel, FL and The Village of St. James

Thanks so far to those who answered, however, it is definitely NOT sprinkler water. Way too strong and goes for blocks. Also, last week when I smelled it, it was during the day and last night was at about 7:00pm.

Update ... I called District Property Management and was told to check out their website at districtgov.org. It states ....
NSU Wastewater Treatment Facility Maintenance
The District’s contractor, CH2MHill, will be performing maintenance the week of September 7, 2015 at the North Sumter Utility (NSU) Wastewater Treatment Plant located on Buena Vista Blvd. The contractor will be placing odor control blocks around the plant; however, residents in the area may experience a mild odor during this time.

Last edited by Phanatic Luvr; 09-22-2015 at 07:50 AM.
Old 09-22-2015, 10:23 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

This happens every summer. It is the smell of rotting food. There is a garbage dump nearby, which fact was confirmed on the forum last summer. It is separate from the builders' materials dump.The smell starts around Colony shopping center and lasts all the way to the end of Pine Ridge. The people who buy there this winter will have a bit of a surprise come summer.
Old 09-22-2015, 10:39 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
This happens every summer. It is the smell of rotting food. There is a garbage dump nearby, which fact was confirmed on the forum last summer. It is separate from the builders' materials dump.The smell starts around Colony shopping center and lasts all the way to the end of Pine Ridge. The people who buy there this winter will have a bit of a surprise come summer.

I'm sure the developers sales team has let all the new prospective buyers know about this situation, depending on which way the wind blows I guess [emoji53]
Old 09-22-2015, 12:20 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phanatic Luvr View Post
I called District Property Management and was told to check out their website at districtgov.org. It states .... NSU Wastewater Treatment Facility Maintenance
The District’s contractor, CH2MHill, will be performing maintenance the week of September 7, 2015 at the North Sumter Utility (NSU) Wastewater Treatment Plant located on Buena Vista Blvd. The contractor will be placing odor control blocks around the plant; however, residents in the area may experience a mild odor during this time.
Is there a Wastewater Treatment Facility on Buena Vista near Charlotte? Was it a "mild odor"?
According to this info, maintenance causing the smell was done September 7 to 14. You said you smelled it 9/21.
Hmmmm, something smells.
Old 09-22-2015, 12:27 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
Confirmed? Wasn't that just an opinion? Conclusion at the time was, even construction materials will rot and give off an odor, when a lot of rain occurs.
Old 09-22-2015, 12:30 PM

Sorry. It's not the smell of a garbage dump. This is definitely a sewage smell. There is a dump, but it's for construction waste, not food.
Old 09-22-2015, 12:44 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
Confirmed? Wasn't that just an opinion? Conclusion at the time was, even construction materials will rot and give off an odor, when a lot of rain occurs.
I'd have to do a search. I thought somebody identified it on a map. We used to drive past a garbage site every weekend on the way to our boat. The location was Coopersville, MI, on I 96. I darn we'll know what a trash dump smells like, and this is it. And it is not on Buena Vista where the "mild" odor is coming from. It is a stench, starting at Colony Plaza and going east. It has been there a couple or three times per year, including this past Spring.
Old 09-22-2015, 03:20 PM
Email Reported As Spam

If Golf Administration has a facility nearby the Charlotte area for the storage of fertilizer then the may be the issue? The Water Reclamation facilities may be another source?
Old 09-22-2015, 05:30 PM
Veteran member
Default New construction

Colony has not had the sewage odor in quite some time, until recently.

When we first moved here it was terrible. Our plumber told us they we having some trouble getting the new sections connected to the sewage system and the odor was coming from the pumping stations.
Charlotte is near the new sections as is Colony.
Old 09-22-2015, 10:13 PM
Default Raw Sewer

Come on folks drive through the area.... this a raw sewerage ... this
is not reclaimed water or garbage... One might be better to report this to the Sales Center... you just might get some attention to the matter...

$ 100.00 dollars that is raw wet sewer smell... the area it covers is quite
large as already noted... Pumping Station problems... ?? just maybe!
Closed Thread

Tags
charlotte, smell, strong, sewage, yarsborough, evening, 700pm, smelled, light, shed, pond, large, parts, smelling, question, past, backs, villas, week, thursday, morse

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.