Strong sewage smell in Charlotte

Closed Thread
Old 09-22-2015, 10:47 PM

I noticed the pungent sewage smell yesterday evening walking on Odell from my home in Duval to mailboxes. (I'm just north of CR466A.)
Old 09-23-2015, 07:30 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenHurricane View Post
I noticed the pungent sewage smell yesterday evening walking on Odell from my home in Duval to mailboxes. (I'm just north of CR466A.)
That's a little disturbing to know that it's all the way up in Duval which is quite a ways from Charlotte.
Old 09-23-2015, 09:24 AM

We played Volusia yesterday (Tuesday) evening and the smell was disgusting.
Old 09-23-2015, 09:49 AM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,313 Times in 546 Posts

Maybe you should report it to Florida EPA?
Old 09-23-2015, 11:58 AM
Gold member
Location: Philadelphia & Lower Gwynedd, PA, Ocean City, NJ, Wesley Chapel, FL and The Village of St. James

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
Is there a Wastewater Treatment Facility on Buena Vista near Charlotte? Was it a "mild odor"?
According to this info, maintenance causing the smell was done September 7 to 14. You said you smelled it 9/21.
Hmmmm, something smells.
Yes, I agree with you Barefoot after rethinking the dates. And ... Charlotte is nowhere near the plant on Buena Vista.
Old 09-23-2015, 12:45 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phanatic Luvr View Post
Yes, I agree with you Barefoot after rethinking the dates. And ... Charlotte is nowhere near the plant on Buena Vista.
Isn't there a treatment facility on one of the Bonifay golf courses...hidden by a large berm and trees and I believe there is another right off Buena Vista between 466A and the Eisenhower Rec Ctr.
Old 09-23-2015, 12:47 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredInTV View Post
We played Volusia yesterday (Tuesday) evening and the smell was disgusting.
That smell likely comes from the construction dump behind the hill that Volusia is on
Old 09-23-2015, 03:12 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbussone View Post
Isn't there a treatment facility on one of the Bonifay golf courses...hidden by a large berm and trees and I believe there is another right off Buena Vista between 466A and the Eisenhower Rec Ctr.
There are lots of treatment facilities in TV, usually discreetly hidden behind trees.
I've occasionally smelled a mild odor from the one on Belvedere.
If there is an offensive foul odor, it's probably malfunctioning.
I bet TV Maintenance is aware of the problem and trying to eliminate it. Villages Management doesn't like stinky things around.
Old 09-24-2015, 09:24 AM
Gold member
Location: Philadelphia & Lower Gwynedd, PA, Ocean City, NJ, Wesley Chapel, FL and The Village of St. James

I finally spoke with someone at District Property Management which made a lot of sense. She said it is algae blooms in the ponds causing the smell. I said I saw a lot of algae back in late June and early July when there was no rain but not lately. She said, and this is what made a lot of sense, that when the ponds were low, vegetation grew on the banks. Once the rains came, that vegetation was then under water and now it is rotting away, causing algae. Made a good deal of sense to me, as I have only ever smelled that horrible smell when I was in close proximity to a pond.
Old 09-24-2015, 09:26 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phanatic Luvr View Post
I finally spoke with someone at District Property Management which made a lot of sense. She said it is algae blooms in the ponds causing the smell. I said I saw a lot of algae back in late June and early July when there was no rain but not lately. She said, and this is what made a lot of sense, that when the ponds were low, vegetation grew on the banks. Once the rains came, that vegetation was then under water and now it is rotting away, causing algae. Made a good deal of sense to me, as I have only ever smelled that horrible smell when I was in close proximity to a pond.

Good work [emoji106]
Old 09-24-2015, 10:25 AM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,313 Times in 546 Posts
Default Doubt construction waste smells

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbussone View Post
That smell likely comes from the construction dump behind the hill that Volusia is on
I am no expert in this area of "construction site dumps" but I would doubt that the odor was coming from there. More likely the ponds on Volusia course. Just my opinion.
Old 09-24-2015, 03:05 PM
Sage

You are probably correct but there are definitely times when that Volusia dump really has quite the odor.
Old 09-28-2015, 09:28 AM

I believe the smell in Charlotte and especially at Volusia is 'methane' or 'landfill gas'.... created as solid waste decomposes. Volusia golf course is built on the side hill of the landfill site that became a few years ago (according to The Villages) a "construction" waste landfill. Well, prior to about 10 years ago that mountain was being built from all sorts of waste. At that time, the methane could be detected as far north as Sumter Landing when the wind blew in that direction. (There weren't any houses back then from Mallory south.) Meanwhile, the garbage continues to decay, and pressure builds (especially in the warmer months) forcing methane gas to the surface. I feel very sorry for homeowners downwind from the landfill. I guess The Villages was hoping the gas would be buried and gone by now as the last houses being built seem to surround this mountain that I call the "dump".
Old 09-28-2015, 09:39 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

If you are correct, conphill, pretty much everyone is right. I know from years of driving by one what a waste landfill smells like, and I have smelled that in the 466a area many times. This summer we could smell it all the way to the end of Pine Ridge.

I don't care what anybody says it's coming from, it's strong and smells like rotting garbage. A rose by any other name...
Old 09-28-2015, 10:29 AM
Veteran member

methane is odorless that is why mercaptan is added to natural gas
Closed Thread

Tags
charlotte, smell, strong, sewage, yarsborough, evening, 700pm, smelled, light, shed, pond, large, parts, smelling, question, past, backs, villas, week, thursday, morse

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.