Strong sewage smell in Charlotte

Closed Thread
Old 09-28-2015, 10:34 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,508 Times in 1,908 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by conphil View Post
I believe the smell in Charlotte and especially at Volusia is 'methane' or 'landfill gas'.... created as solid waste decomposes. Volusia golf course is built on the side hill of the landfill site that became a few years ago (according to The Villages) a "construction" waste landfill. Well, prior to about 10 years ago that mountain was being built from all sorts of waste. At that time, the methane could be detected as far north as Sumter Landing when the wind blew in that direction. (There weren't any houses back then from Mallory south.) Meanwhile, the garbage continues to decay, and pressure builds (especially in the warmer months) forcing methane gas to the surface. I feel very sorry for homeowners downwind from the landfill. I guess The Villages was hoping the gas would be buried and gone by now as the last houses being built seem to surround this mountain that I call the "dump".

Welcome to the Forum. Bet you taught Science before you retired here.

Last edited by graciegirl; 09-28-2015 at 10:41 AM.
Old 09-28-2015, 12:14 PM
Veteran member

I don't understand how the people in that area can live with that smell I feel so bad for them.

Last edited by birdawg; 09-28-2015 at 01:36 PM.
Old 09-28-2015, 12:22 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Here in the bubble, it is referred to as the scent of the natural circle of life. It's part of the nature experience.
Old 09-28-2015, 02:48 PM
Soaring Eagle member

We rent during the winter and did smell the odor at the end of Hillsborough Trail. We thought it was an open sewer, while homes were being constructed, I guess we were wrong. Is this the area involved?
Old 09-28-2015, 02:53 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdawg View Post
I don't understand how the people in that area can live with that smell I feel so bad for them.

I do too. This is where we could use an independent home owners association. I wish someone would start a new one.
Old 09-28-2015, 03:54 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave harris View Post
We rent during the winter and did smell the odor at the end of Hillsborough Trail. We thought it was an open sewer, while homes were being constructed, I guess we were wrong. Is this the area involved?

If you were on the east end, yes.
Old 09-28-2015, 04:08 PM
Sage
Thanked 12,915 Times in 4,143 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickeyD View Post
If you were on the east end, yes.
I guess we're both glad to be on the west end.

BTW, Long Island to Lake Deaton.. Are you following me??? Are you a stalker????
Old 09-28-2015, 04:12 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
I guess we're both glad to be on the west end.

BTW, Long Island to Lake Deaton.. Are you following me??? Are you a stalker????

Not stalking you but I'm afraid this issue will affect everyone south of 466A. Word gets around quickly and before you know it we'll all be labeled the south end stinkers!
Old 09-28-2015, 04:35 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickeyD View Post
Not stalking you but I'm afraid this issue will affect everyone south of 466A. Word gets around quickly and before you know it we'll all be labeled the south end stinkers!
Pray for west winds daily. I hope no one is throwing lit cigar butts around Volusia
Old 09-28-2015, 06:11 PM
Veteran member

This forum is obviously geared toward those that live in TV, so it's not unexpected to see locations abbreviated. I will be in TV in the next 30-60 days. Would someone take the time to write specific locations where these odors are? I would like to check them out for myself, while I search for property. I may find the odor level acceptable (probably not) or I'll not devote any of the few days I have in TV to those areas. Your help is appreciated. Also, you can send me a private note if you wish. Thanks.
Old 09-28-2015, 06:26 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retiring View Post
This forum is obviously geared toward those that live in TV, so it's not unexpected to see locations abbreviated. I will be in TV in the next 30-60 days. Would someone take the time to write specific locations where these odors are? I would like to check them out for myself, while I search for property. I may find the odor level acceptable (probably not) or I'll not devote any of the few days I have in TV to those areas. Your help is appreciated. Also, you can send me a private note if you wish. Thanks.
They're basically talking about an area along Morse Blvd from Pinellas Place to Hillsborough Trail
Old 09-28-2015, 07:37 PM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,313 Times in 546 Posts
Default Retention ponds

Quote:
Retiring: There are retention ponds all over The Villages and as one post (#24)has mentioned---he made a call to the District and they said the odor was likely coming from a retention pond. I would not jump to any conclusions from some of the speculation coming from some on this forum.

The Villages is a great place to live---north, south, east or west.

Last edited by justjim; 09-28-2015 at 07:43 PM. Reason: Omission
Old 09-29-2015, 07:08 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
South of 466A. But don't forget the train noise, er, the soothing train sounds. That includes pretty much everything west of Buena Vista Blvd. And if you don't appreciate the stunning view of high voltage electric lines with 200 ft towers, then you need to stay away from pretty much everything east of BV. There is a nice little area we refer to as the Historic District that may fit the bill.
Old 09-29-2015, 07:40 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by outlaw View Post
South of 466A. But don't forget the train noise, er, the soothing train sounds. That includes pretty much everything west of Buena Vista Blvd. And if you don't appreciate the stunning view of high voltage electric lines with 200 ft towers, then you need to stay away from pretty much everything east of BV. There is a nice little area we refer to as the Historic District that may fit the bill.

You sell lots in Stonecrest?
Old 09-29-2015, 07:52 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
You sell lots in Stonecrest?
No! That place looks like it is on life support. The clubhouse looks like your typical subdivision golf club that is trying to stay financially afloat. Depressing, but very common. I was kidding about the train sounds. I actually like them...from an appropriate distance.
Closed Thread

Tags
charlotte, smell, strong, sewage, yarsborough, evening, 700pm, smelled, light, shed, pond, large, parts, smelling, question, past, backs, villas, week, thursday, morse

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.